REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Non-REVscene Social Meets (https://www.revscene.net/forums/non-revscene-social-meets_199/)
-   -   Time to figure this out - Thursday Night Meets (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698244-time-figure-out-thursday-night-meets.html)

sheezydontleave 09-19-2014 12:49 PM

Time to figure this out - Thursday Night Meets

Alright guys, I may seem like a noobie to the forums but I've had my hefty share of creeping over the years.

As we all know the thursday night meets were coming to a dramatic end, for most of us its the only thing we looked forward to during the week and now because of some people who took the name "REV" scene a little to literally these meets have come to an end. :failed:

First of all swfk and everyone else who helped make these meets possible and for doing their best of controlling them.

and also rb for letting us know about the v.i. and ticketing information from the cops

Quote:

Originally Posted by rb (Post 8531267)
I was at the meet tonight and talked to a pretty chill cop. Its been confirmed that the property owners/management do not want the meet on their grounds b/c of 3 reasons:

* The noise
* The amount of trash left behind
* The people taking photo's from the 2nd level as they are tripping off alarm motion sensors

Since they can't kick everyone out, they will be ticketing but the cop tonight was told not to hand out tickets tonight and give warnings by his supervisor. However, he will be ticketing in the future for

* Improperly displayed N signs
* No front plate or plastic covering on plates.

He also told me to pass on the tip that the fine for a plate on the dash is $230. The fine for no front plate is $109 so you're better off stashing your plate under your seat than displaying it on the dash.

__________________________________________________ ____

Now the point of this thread is to help make things a little simpler and more organized, I know a few of you guys are spitballing some ideas on new places and locations to meet since market crossing is being shut down.

If you guys know of any new locations or possible places to meet lets start this thread up to help organize and figure this out.

*mods I do apologize if this thread is not in the right area

meme405 09-19-2014 01:23 PM

It was coming to an end anyway. Soon as the rain hits the number of cars dips to only a small minority of friends.

Those people can split off and meet anwhere they like, as 20 cars can meet in many different places and not be hassled too much.

Once spring hits next year if these groups want to share where they meet they will, if they are smart they will keep their venue to themselves so as not to get fucked over by the masses of idiots.

In the meantime if people are itching for meets go to the surrey meet or ironwood.

Let the ruined Byrne meets serve as an eternal reminder that if you want to have nice things YOU (the collective you), need to stand up and defend it. Sitting idle like many did, or shrugging/laughing it off led to its eventual demise as so many explained it would.

320icar 09-19-2014 01:30 PM

What shitty god damn timing. I have worked late on Thursdays for the past 6 years. My new position just last week has moved me to being off at 9pm. And now these fucking meets have become tainted. God damn.

I think it's time for smaller individual meets. Maybe take the meettl surrey since so many of it's residents enjoy ruining Richmond (an other) nice areas

sheezydontleave 09-19-2014 01:39 PM

sigh.. I hear you guys but I mean it really did just grow out of proportion regardless if we did our part to control it, you always had someone trying to be "cool" lol

The surrey meets sound good to me but Im not to sure of how big the turn outs are anyone ever been?

sheezydontleave 09-19-2014 02:01 PM

What about the cineplex parking lot where the last big revscene summer meet was

meme405 09-19-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheezydontleave (Post 8531548)
What about the cineplex parking lot where the last big revscene summer meet was

There is a hotel right there. Likely any remotely large gathering would result in a call to the cops from the hotel administration.

Not easy maintaining business when there is a bunch of snot nose kids making a ruckus in your parking lot till 1am.

kakucaekz 09-19-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheezydontleave (Post 8531536)
sigh.. I hear you guys but I mean it really did just grow out of proportion regardless if we did our part to control it, you always had someone trying to be "cool" lol

The surrey meets sound good to me but Im not to sure of how big the turn outs are anyone ever been?

I've been to a couple of Surrey meets, and although the turnout is usually quite decent, there's also a lot of people being asshats. I stopped going to those a few months ago, plus they got kicked out and relocated so many times.

G-spec 09-19-2014 02:32 PM

It's funny (maybe that's the wrong word) that these businesses most likely drooled over the fact that so much foot traffic was occurring Thursday nights and initially they saw $ signs all round.... But now they're seeing a different side

I've only been to 1 meet few weeks ago, the one where the bikers were doing burnouts, and the Evo guy was driving around the whole lot constantly redlining, etc.... spent 2 hours walking around checking out cars, so maybe I'm completely wrong, but I didn't see many people going to the surrounding shops... probably Tim Hortons was the only place that was gettin customers out the crowd....

maybe if they made a bit more money off the crowd they wouldnt have complained to the cops, I mean even with all the revving and shenanigans they would have most likely sucked it up for a few bucks

..... anyway, just an observation

BoostedBB6 09-19-2014 02:39 PM

Big, organized, and uncontrolled meets will ALWAYS end up being the same thing.

Perhaps this will give those that don't understand/appreciate the large meets RevScene puts on in the year some understand of what they have to go through to make it all work. Now just imagine if you needed to get a permit, pay for insurance, get people to direct traffic etc etc....

meme405 09-19-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-spec (Post 8531559)
It's funny (maybe that's the wrong word) that these businesses most likely drooled over the fact that so much foot traffic was occurring Thursday nights and initially they saw $ signs all round.... But now they're seeing a different side

I've only been to 1 meet few weeks ago, the one where the bikers were doing burnouts, and the Evo guy was driving around the whole lot constantly redlining, etc.... spent 2 hours walking around checking out cars, so maybe I'm completely wrong, but I didn't see many people going to the surrounding shops... probably Tim Hortons was the only place that was gettin customers out the crowd....

maybe if they made a bit more money off the crowd they wouldnt have complained to the cops, I mean even with all the revving and shenanigans they would have most likely sucked it up for a few bucks

..... anyway, just an observation

Any food joint inside that complex made a killing off the thursday night crowd, Much more than what they would have made without the event.

Lineup inside the mcdonalds would be ridiculous everytime I went in there.

I know a bunch of people who would meet for dinner and eat at cactus ahead of the meet. I even did it a couple times.

Tim hortons has been feeding off the revenues from these meets since last summer. Even in the winter (cause it was cold outside) people would go into tim hortons and get drinks, or when it rained the entire meet would happen inside the place.

Sure MORE revenue wouldn't have hurt, but that was not the main concern. This obviously had to do with the owners of the complex, the garbage, the risk associated with the behaviour, etc.

yray 09-19-2014 04:47 PM

triangle beach /thread

TjAlmeida 09-19-2014 05:29 PM

It's the time of year these weekly meets usually get quieter as the weather worsens.

SpeedStars 09-19-2014 06:19 PM

Went to my first Thursday meet last year and I gotta say its a completely different crowd.

Sidenote: if we posted ideas and started a new Thursday night meets thread with said location, aren't all the buddy guys in their auto z32s and auto v6 mustangs just lurk the thread for the location and then tell all their other buddy guys and the cycle repeats?

RevYouUp 09-19-2014 06:48 PM

Put meet threads in nsfw forum so no lurkers can see the details about it lol

swfk 09-19-2014 08:29 PM

Meet thread in members journals section LOL jk

Klondike 09-19-2014 09:32 PM

^ this.

Or at least have a 1 year account and post count minimum before being able to view the thread.

SkunkWorks 09-19-2014 11:25 PM

The allure of the Byrne meet is location. It's central to basically everyone. Poco, Surrey - not so much.

rriggi 09-20-2014 01:48 AM

Why not post the location here an hour before the meet in a members only area? Constantly keep changing it every week?

swfk 09-20-2014 03:39 AM

Jokes aside, the meet will eventually be exploited by the hoonigans even disclosed to members only. The turn out with never be as good since some local guys never check the forums but just plainly show up same place on a Thursday night.

Summer has ended, shall wait till next year folks!

aloobrar 09-24-2014 08:55 AM

Xbox Live Forza meets? :thumbs:

91civicZC 09-24-2014 09:25 AM

Uncontrolled meets will always end up with the same problem.

Its ridiculous to blame it on one type of car owner or group, every niche will have its ass hats. Vancouver is small enough that a big enough meet will eventually get around to everyone into cars, and the ass hattery will start right up again.

I would suggest waiting until next spring to really start trying to get a big open meet happening again. By that time at least some of the idiots will have moved on, and police will be a little more relaxed again. Until then there are plenty of smaller meets that happen every week, both car and area specific.

mk1freak 09-26-2014 08:01 PM

Usually if we want a quiet meet we post it in WhatsApp group chat. Less chance of asshats in there.... Unless of course you're already one :badpokerface:

Yodamaster 09-26-2014 09:16 PM

There is something that people need to be made aware of, and that is to not expect a free public event such as this to last for a prolonged period of time. There is a reason why large car events that require an admission fee are so successful, they are hosted on rented land, and therefore can evict idiots.

It's really as simple as that, it's not to say that something similar to the Thursday meets won't happen again, because it will, but it will also suffer the same fate regardless. There is no point in believing in this sort of model, because it simply cannot function when the will of any man or woman can be forced on an event without the authority to govern it. I've talked with my dad about the Thursday night meets, and he's admitted to seeing it all before over twenty years ago, huge free meets do not survive.

If you rented out a giant parking lot and charged a nominal fee for drivers to enter, you could easily protect such an event because you would then have the authority to govern who can attend. It's honestly that way or the highway, and if you aren't prepared to dish out the price of a coffee to secure a safe meeting place, you shouldn't be arguing over assholes ruining a free meet.

Lomac 09-28-2014 02:44 AM

I haven't lived in Vancouver for over a year now, so maybe someone can explain to me why the Tim Horton's/Canadian Tire location on Steveston Hwy hasn't been considered? I know it's not a big lot and the meets we used to have there were pretty small, but I don't recall ever hearing anything about using it again.

meme405 09-28-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8535364)
I haven't lived in Vancouver for over a year now, so maybe someone can explain to me why the Tim Horton's/Canadian Tire location on Steveston Hwy hasn't been considered? I know it's not a big lot and the meets we used to have there were pretty small, but I don't recall ever hearing anything about using it again.

That location what everyone is referring to when they say "Ironwood"... There is meets there all the time...