REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Police shoot unarmed guy

Anyone else catch this? Just terrible. Luckily he was not hurt too seriously.

One thing I appreciate about the USA. In 20 days from the incident occurring, the officer was fired, charged, and is now held on $75,000 bond.

Canada? The RCMP would say "no comment" for 16 months until the media finally manages to leak something.
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
May want to shed a little light on the video.

This guy was pulled over for "no seat belt" at a gas station. He was in the process of getting out of the truck when the cop stopped him. He was asked to provide his drivers license (see video of him patting his back pocket). He did not have his wallet so went into his vehicle to get the wallet and was shot when doing so.

He was shot because he did as the officer asked of him......

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,552 Posts
related article:
Quote:
COLUMBIA, SC — An S.C. trooper who stopped a man for a seat belt violation outside Columbia and then shot him – apparently without provocation – was arrested Wednesday and charged with assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature.

Sean Groubert, 31, a lance corporal who was fired from the Highway Patrol after the shooting incident, now faces 20 years in prison if convicted of wrongfully shooting the driver, Levar Jones.

Groubert was booked Wednesday evening at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center. He was fired from the patrol last Friday.

Wednesday night, in a hearing at the jail, Magistrate Ethel Brewer set Groubert’s bond at $75,000.

A video of the Sept. 4 shooting incident was played at Groubert’s bond hearing.

The video shows Groubert firing repeatedly at Jones, who was not armed and who was not behaving aggressively. Jones was struck at least once, in the hip. He spent time in the hospital and is now out of the hospital recuperating.

Read more here: COLUMBIA, SC: VIDEO RELEASED: SC trooper charged with felony in shooting at traffic stop over seat belt violation | Crime | The State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
One thing I appreciate about the USA. In 20 days from the incident occurring, the officer was fired, charged, and is now held on $75,000 bond.
You must not read a lot of news from US. You're better off finding that needle in the haystack than seeing an officer charged or even disciplined in, the US. Ferguson is still fresh. Of most recent, there was the cop that murderd a black guy that was carrying BB-gun, for purchase, in a Walmart. Ohio is an open-carry state.

Last edited by Presto; 09-25-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Charges should not be assault, rather attempted murder or equivalent charges like anyone else would get if they shot at another person for no reason.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
You must not read a lot of news from US. You're better off finding that needle in the haystack than seeing an officer charged or even disciplined in, the US. Ferguson is still fresh. Of most recent, there was the cop that murderd a black guy that was carrying BB-gun, for purchase, in a Walmart. Ohio is an open-carry state.
Certainly the US is far from perfect. The point I was trying to make is that, for the most part, there is more openness, speed and transparancy in the US justice system when it involves alleged misconduct by law enforcement. In Canada, we have nothing but the opposite.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Anyone else catch this? Just terrible. Luckily he was not hurt too seriously.

‪Raw Video: Dash Cam Video of the Shooting‬‏ - YouTube

What about all the other police shootings in the US where nothing happens?

Lucky the guy survived or the cop would have probably gotten away with it.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
So he gets shot for doing what the officer said twice...

The officer wanted his license, so he went to get it.
Then the officer asked him to get out of the car, so he comes out of the car...
Then shots are fired? wtf?

I understand that the cop was concerned for his own safety, but anyone who rushes for their gun and fires that fast should not be a cop. I hope he gets a huge lawsuit coming his way.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Waiting for Charles in charge to chime in.
supremematt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Certainly the US is far from perfect. The point I was trying to make is that, for the most part, there is more openness, speed and transparancy in the US justice system when it involves alleged misconduct by law enforcement. In Canada, we have nothing but the opposite.
What are you basing this on? I don't have facts, just some things i've seen in the news and it seems very contrary to what you just said. Not that the news itself is a credible source..
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
there's a lot of The Blue Wall of Silence going on in the Canadian criminal justice system
Old 09-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Cop was just a wee bit trigger happy
Old 09-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
He's lucky that cop wasn't a better shot. I'm usually against pile on the police in a shooting thread but this cop is clearly an idiot. The guy who got shot also just won the lottery when he sues the city and the police dept, he won't need to deliver medical supplies anymore.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
saw this on the news earlier tonight its said the shooter is a "hero cop" for taking out a shooter earlier in his career and getting a medal of valor for it

also his lawyer had this to say
Quote:
lawyer Barney Giese told WISTV.com that his client was pleaded not guilty to the charge, claiming that Groubert was justified in shooting Jones, who reached for his licence 'aggressively'.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:12 AM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

lol what the fuck... that cop should NOT be serving the people holy... not only does he shoot people for following orders, but he has a horrible fucking shot.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #15

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Jesus Christ it's sad knowing that there are actual cops on the road like this. Apparently you don't even need to see a weapon anymore just the faint chance that there might be a gun within a country mile of the scene and you're justified to shoot someone.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
This is why when you are pulled over I try to do the following:

-I try to pull over where the cop knows I'm not just going to speed away, AKA I park up against a curb, or a wall.

-I turn the car off

-When the cop walks up to the car I have my hands where he can see them, and I don't make any sudden movements.

-When the cop asks me for my license and registration I describe where they are and I tell him I am going to reach for them. This way he understands what I am doing and has no reason to panic.

-I also make sure to let them know that I have a dash camera, and that it is recording, both video and audio.

Needless to say, I have had no problems ever, and I get pulled over quite a bit (I don't know what it is, i'm just a sketchy person I guess).

Either way though, cop is clearly not qualified and this should not have been the end result of this scenario. I mean come on "Aggressively reaching for his license"?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
The people and the authorities are no longer on the same side
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
I want to see the judge's reaction when the defendant says "I shot Jones because he was reaching for his license aggressively."
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Canada? The RCMP would say "no comment" for 16 months until the media finally manages to leak something.
RCMP is quite violent police force. I've heard of too many stories about it.
BC was trying to create its own BC Police Force but for some strange reason(political pressure?) they decided to make another 20 year contract with RCMP.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
saw this on the news earlier tonight its said the shooter is a "hero cop" for taking out a shooter earlier in his career and getting a medal of valor for it

also his lawyer had this to say
I would be questioning if the officer was properly assessed after that incident, something like that will change a person and could easily make them unfit for duty as a police officer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
May want to shed a little light on the video.

This guy was pulled over for "no seat belt" at a gas station. He was in the process of getting out of the truck when the cop stopped him. He was asked to provide his drivers license (see video of him patting his back pocket). He did not have his wallet so went into his vehicle to get the wallet and was shot when doing so.
While the officer is in the wrong here (he should have drawn, but not fired), imo reaching into the truck like that is a very bad idea, especially since the US has such a high rate of gun ownership the officer really has no way to know what you're reaching for and anyone making a move like that shouldn't be surprised to turn around and find a gun drawn on them.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #21

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I would be questioning if the officer was properly assessed after that incident, something like that will change a person and could easily make them unfit for duty as a police officer.

While the officer is in the wrong here (he should have drawn, but not fired), imo reaching into the truck like that is a very bad idea, especially since the US has such a high rate of gun ownership the officer really has no way to know what you're reaching for and anyone making a move like that shouldn't be surprised to turn around and find a gun drawn on them.
IMO it's the officers responsibility to talk him through it. Simply asking "where's your license, and slowly go get it" would have made it a much different situation. If the cops going to be that trigger happy who's to say the guy reaching in his back pocket to get his wallet wouldn't have made the officer think he was reaching for a gun back there as well?
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Thankfully the camera caught it all. You know damn well that if there was no video, the cop would have claimed: "The suspect aggressively dove for a weapon I thought I saw in his vehicle." He even claimed the guy dove into his vehicle in the tape.

Makes me wonder how many cop shootings not caught on tape were like this incident while they claimed the victim acted aggressively or made a move for a weapon that was never there.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #23
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
I'm going to have to lay down a big fat "wat" on this. Misconduct by cops is swept under the rug far more than in Canada. Police unions push back hard against proposals for an IIO-style civilian police watchdog. Good ol'boy networks in the US, especially in the southern states, run deep. The chief of police is the brother of the courthouse judge, who plays golf with the lieutenant governor at the country club, whose son is the county DA, who's friends with the cop.

Remember the guy who was found dead handcuffed in the back of a cruiser? No biggie, just a suicide. The family's word against the cop--in rural America, the cop almost always wins, unless CNN or the ACLU get wind of it--or, in this case, there is video evidence. And even then, cops will often smash cameras or order the filmer to wipe the evidence. They'll even go as far as to get filming of police banned by state law (the courts have overturned these laws multiple times).
cheeky_scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #24

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_scrub View Post
I'm going to have to lay down a big fat "wat" on this. Misconduct by cops is swept under the rug far more than in Canada. Police unions push back hard against proposals for an IIO-style civilian police watchdog. Good ol'boy networks in the US, especially in the southern states, run deep. The chief of police is the brother of the courthouse judge, who plays golf with the lieutenant governor at the country club, whose son is the county DA, who's friends with the cop.

Remember the guy who was found dead handcuffed in the back of a cruiser? No biggie, just a suicide. The family's word against the cop--in rural America, the cop almost always wins, unless CNN or the ACLU get wind of it--or, in this case, there is video evidence. And even then, cops will often smash cameras or order the filmer to wipe the evidence. They'll even go as far as to get filming of police banned by state law (the courts have overturned these laws multiple times).
Not to mention Chris Dorner's case, where they just lit the house on fire and left him inside and burnt alive.

I could understand that cops in the US is more likely to use excessive force because the crime down there are much worst, but even when police brutality is caught on video, officers would be put on administration leave with pay.

There needs to be an internal internal affair that investigate these officers and put them to the test if they abide by the law themselves. I say internal internal because there are already internal affair in the states, but they are just as bad as police officers who doesn't follow the rules.

I'm so glad this officer got 20 years.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #25
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
I could understand that cops in the US is more likely to use excessive force because the crime down there are much worst, but even when police brutality is caught on video, officers would be put on administration leave with pay.
Sometimes, it's even worse. The cop just gets put on desk duty. There was one officer with the Milwaukee Police who dropped the ball with one of Jeffrey Dahmer's victims, who is now the chief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
There needs to be an internal internal affair that investigate these officers and put them to the test if they abide by the law themselves. I say internal internal because there are already internal affair in the states, but they are just as bad as police officers who doesn't follow the rules.
That is supposed to be what civilian watchdogs are for. In B.C. it's called the IIO. In Ontario it's called the SIU. In Alberta there's the ASIRT (but they've come under scandal).

Down in one of the suburbs of Seattle, someone anonymously created animated videos illustrating police misconduct among the force. The force responded by filing a search warrant to find out who made those videos. Kind of a "stays within the family" approach.

Steubenville, Maryville, Amadou Diallo, Eric Garner...and these are just the major ones that got media attention. Imagine the incidents that got swept under the rug. The blue code of silence is very real. That's why I don't totally write off people with a "fuck da cops" mentality.
cheeky_scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: