REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #26
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,973
Thanked 4,960 Times in 2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
IMO it's the officers responsibility to talk him through it. Simply asking "where's your license, and slowly go get it" would have made it a much different situation. If the cops going to be that trigger happy who's to say the guy reaching in his back pocket to get his wallet wouldn't have made the officer think he was reaching for a gun back there as well?
He asked "Can I see your license please?" and the guy turns and reaches into the cab less than a second later, so when exactly is he supposed to say that? I'm not saying the officer isn't at fault (and he definitely made the bigger mistake) I'm just saying that turning around and reaching into the vehicle without saying a word to a police officer first is a very bad idea.
Advertisement
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,700
Thanked 1,007 Times in 403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
He asked "Can I see your license please?" and the guy turns and reaches into the cab less than a second later, so when exactly is he supposed to say that? I'm not saying the officer isn't at fault (and he definitely made the bigger mistake) I'm just saying that turning around and reaching into the vehicle without saying a word to a police officer first is a very bad idea.
Proper procedure for an officer to fire his weapon is probably, see and acknowledge that suspect does indeed have a weapon in hand.

When an officer feel his life is in danger.

If feel threatened by suspected firearm (not confirmed), probably should hide behind his vehicle (doors).

When officers ask me for my license, I reach into my back pocket and get it. Should I be shot then? Even if I did a sudden movement and quickly reach into my back pocket, the officer would probably just step back and draw his gun.

In the original incident, the police officer should not have approach him while asking for his license. Instead, when he stepped out of the car, he should ordered him to get back into his vehicle.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,415
Thanked 1,468 Times in 560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
He asked "Can I see your license please?" and the guy turns and reaches into the cab less than a second later, so when exactly is he supposed to say that? I'm not saying the officer isn't at fault (and he definitely made the bigger mistake) I'm just saying that turning around and reaching into the vehicle without saying a word to a police officer first is a very bad idea.
How about "slowly reach for your license please" ? Some people don't get pulled over by the cops all the time, and when someone with authority tells you to do something you just do it right away.

When I was like 18 I was walking home from a friends place at night. It was winter and my hands were already in my pockets when the cop pulled up and asked me to come over to him. I did without even thinking of taking my hands out of my pocket. He told me after it's not a good idea to do that, but at the same time he should have told me before he asked me to come towards him if he felt I was a threat. It's not common sense when you've never been in the situation before. I'm sure glad I wasn't gunned down because the cop thought I was packing heat though.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #29
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here
 
hchang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,773
Thanked 2,952 Times in 682 Posts
^ yeah but we have less guns to citizens ratio and overall safer communities.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,415
Thanked 1,468 Times in 560 Posts
That doesn't justify popping off at unarmed people because you think there's a chance they might have a gun. If being a cop scares you that much perhaps consider another job where you don't get to hold a weapon.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #31
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here
 
hchang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,773
Thanked 2,952 Times in 682 Posts
I'm not saying it's justified.

I'm saying that If you put yourself in a police officers position, knowing that the suspect has a high chance of being armed, wouldn't you be more on edge too?
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,700
Thanked 1,007 Times in 403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
I'm not saying it's justified.

I'm saying that If you put yourself in a police officers position, knowing that the suspect has a high chance of being armed, wouldn't you be more on edge too?
With what facts? That he is black? The driver was pulled over for no seat belt. The officer has no criminal check on him, no reported offense or behavior, he was not called to the stop because a black man in a white vehicle is suspected to be armed.

If the officer "knows that the suspect has a high chance of being armed", he would not walk towards him, calmly asking to show his license and registration. To be already determined that he might be armed, the officer would draw his gun, and yell, "GET THE FUCK ON THE GROUND".

The officer's decision to fire was based on the driver's spontaneous spin to get his license.\

Stop thinking that the officer's action is understandable. The officer is guilty 100%, whether common sense, logic, bullshit, what ifs, might or might not, reasoning, plays a role.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,913
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,026 Posts
Most men have their wallet and license in their pockets, which is probably what the cop assumed and was expecting.
When the driver turned around and reached into the car, the cop should drawn the gun and told him to Freeze and back out the vehicle with is arms up.

Once the shots were fired, the cop crossed the line.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #34
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,973
Thanked 4,960 Times in 2,169 Posts
Does anyone know if they've looked into the officers assessment following the previously mentioned incident where he stopped a shooter? IMO anyone who approved him for duty after that should be getting some heat right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
How about "slowly reach for your license please" ? Some people don't get pulled over by the cops all the time, and when someone with authority tells you to do something you just do it right away.

When I was like 18 I was walking home from a friends place at night. It was winter and my hands were already in my pockets when the cop pulled up and asked me to come over to him. I did without even thinking of taking my hands out of my pocket. He told me after it's not a good idea to do that, but at the same time he should have told me before he asked me to come towards him if he felt I was a threat. It's not common sense when you've never been in the situation before. I'm sure glad I wasn't gunned down because the cop thought I was packing heat though.
How does that change the fact that doing something an officer isn't going to be expecting, with no warning, is a bad idea? In your case the officer already knew your hands were in your pockets, but if the first thing you did when he asked you to come over was reach for your pockets you're going to cause more concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Stop thinking that the officer's action is understandable. The officer is guilty 100%, whether common sense, logic, bullshit, what ifs, might or might not, reasoning, plays a role.
You can understand someones actions without agreeing with them. I can understand why the officer pulled his gun, I can understand why he may have fired his gun, however that doesn't mean I agree with his decision to fire.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 12:10 AM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,700
Thanked 1,007 Times in 403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
You can understand someones actions without agreeing with them. I can understand why the officer pulled his gun, I can understand why he may have fired his gun, however that doesn't mean I agree with his decision to fire.
Fair enough.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,415
Thanked 1,468 Times in 560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Does anyone know if they've looked into the officers assessment following the previously mentioned incident where he stopped a shooter? IMO anyone who approved him for duty after that should be getting some heat right now.



How does that change the fact that doing something an officer isn't going to be expecting, with no warning, is a bad idea? In your case the officer already knew your hands were in your pockets, but if the first thing you did when he asked you to come over was reach for your pockets you're going to cause more concern.



You can understand someones actions without agreeing with them. I can understand why the officer pulled his gun, I can understand why he may have fired his gun, however that doesn't mean I agree with his decision to fire.
Yeah pulling your gun out is warranted, but running and shooting multiple times without even seeing a weapon is something i'll never "understand". Beyond being an absolutely horrible shot, he reacted the same way i'd expect my girlfriend to react if she saw a big spider.

"Ahhhh no get away!! *pew pew pew*"
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 01:20 AM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,973
Thanked 4,960 Times in 2,169 Posts
I think you missed my point, you really can't understand that someone who has previously been involved with a shooter might have a panicked reaction when faced with someone potentially pulling a gun on him?
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,415
Thanked 1,468 Times in 560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I think you missed my point, you really can't understand that someone who has previously been involved with a shooter might have a panicked reaction when faced with someone potentially pulling a gun on him?
Yes *potentially* pulling a gun. If a previous encounter is interfering with your judgement on how to do your job properly he should be put on desk duty until he has his shit worked out. I'd hate to die because a cop is jumpy about a past experience.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net