REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   CRTC issues ultimatum to netflix and youtube/google (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698515-crtc-issues-ultimatum-netflix-youtube-google.html)

Gucci Mane 09-29-2014 10:35 PM

CRTC issues ultimatum to netflix and youtube/google

Quote:

The showdown between the CRTC and streaming services like Netflix and YouTube intensified Monday when the regulatory agency issued an ultimatum and a deadline.

If Netflix and Google, which owns YouTube, don't hand over information about their Canadian subscribers by Thursday, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission warns it will shut them out of the policy process altogether.

During CRTC hearings on the future of Canadian television regulation, both companies argued they shouldn't be subject to CRTC regulation, which would force them to be licensed, host a quota of Canadian content and subsidize Canadian television production.

Google and Netflix argued they stream and produce plenty of Canadian content without the CRTC looking over their shoulders.

Both refused to hand over their Canadian content and subscriber information to the CTRC to back up those claims.

"The Commission cannot carry out its duties based on mere anecdotal evidence," the CRTC wrote. "As a result, the hearing panel will reach its conclusions based on the remaining evidence on the record."
CRTC issues ultimatum to Netflix, Google | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

a little more from globe and mail,
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle20836870/

i had no idea this was even going on.. wtf?

Mr.HappySilp 09-29-2014 11:26 PM

lol what about other streaming service apps such as Viki, PPS, Letv, youku and luvTV etc etc.... these apps also stream media as well so how much only Netflix and Youtube have to pay the price.

Also there are various media boxes that comes pre loaded with tons of streaming content. CRTC is pretty useless.

multicartual 09-30-2014 01:41 AM

https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys...s-disc-012.jpg

CRTC

Nlkko 09-30-2014 05:38 AM

Here comes Canadian Netflix double the price with a quarter of the content. Thanks Robellus.

Lomac 09-30-2014 06:35 AM

CRTC... :2finger:

While Netflix and Youtube technically fall under the broadcasting definition, I don't think they should be restricted by the CRTC's conditions.

There's still good Canadian content being produced all over, but being force fed it is frustrating. If a TV show/movie/song/whatever is good, I'll watch it regardless of where it was produced. But don't require 25% (or whatever it's currently at) of my viewing options be Canadian. Chances are they're going to be crap and I'm just going to ignore it anyway.

Soundy 09-30-2014 06:49 AM

CANCON as a general concept needs to just die already.

Lomac 09-30-2014 06:52 AM

I think what Netflix should do is have a couple dozen shows that is nothing more than a shot of the Canadian flag waving and then air it as Canadian produced content. Can't get any more CANCON than that.

6o4__boi 09-30-2014 07:40 AM

godddamn,

is there anything we can do to shut these fuckers up, piece of shit, moronic, imbecilic asshat CRTC...i'm not ashamed to say it, Canadian content is garbage.

the crtc need to be ousted somehow lol

tool001 09-30-2014 08:46 AM

crtc has done some good stuff (ie. 2 year contracts max/paper bill issue) ,,
however CANCON is old concept and needs to go...

GLOW 09-30-2014 08:54 AM

don't they have dragon's den on there? isn't that good enough? :lol
better put on a few more cbc shows. what else is there, murdoc mysteries and republic of doyle?

Lomac 09-30-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool001 (Post 8536448)
crtc has done some good stuff (ie. 2 year contracts max/paper bill issue)

I still fail to see why the CRTC forcing a max 2 year contract on cell phones was a good idea.

murd0c 09-30-2014 09:16 AM

CRTC is a fucken joke, other then Trailer Park Boys(which Netflix picked up) and old school kids in the hall but I find the shows old and outdated and not worth my time to watch. It's like the CRTC is still stuck in the 80's and it will never get out.

Purely 09-30-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Can you please explain why 2 year contracts are good?

twixxer 09-30-2014 09:57 AM

We should get a change.org petition started, i think over 80% of Canadians would be for dismantling the CRTC.

murd0c 09-30-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Do you enjoy spending more for your cell bill? That's exactly what the CRTC did to us for making the 2 year contract the max we can sign.

van_city23 09-30-2014 10:02 AM

Just heard on news 1130 radio that crtc just backed off and dropped the demand.

saveth 09-30-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

I actually lol'ed when I read this. If you like paying more for less service, then the 2 year contracts make sense.

6o4__boi 09-30-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by van_city23 (Post 8536480)
Just heard on news 1130 radio that crtc just backed off and dropped the demand.

good, now if only they'd just drop off completely

lol who wants to get that change.org started? i'm down sign it and spread the word...the CRTC needs to be replaced by something that isn't stuck in the '80s and actually have an idea of what they're doing

hchang 09-30-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gYU (Post 8536471)

Interesting.

I actually never thought about it this way.

Serious.

RRxtar 09-30-2014 10:48 AM

I bet it's less the crtc behind this, and more cbc/shaw/bell lobying

Bouncing Bettys 09-30-2014 11:26 AM

I'm all for preserving a Canadian identity through media but the CRTC was bowing to its cable masters with that threat rather than doing a service to canadians.

AWDTurboLuvr 09-30-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gYU (Post 8536471)

They aren't.

However, people petitioned the CRTC for US style mobile contracts since they didn't want to be locked into a carrier for so long and the ability to change phones more often. So the CRTC mandated 3 year contract lengths to be abolished.

Oops.

tool001 09-30-2014 11:32 AM

its max 2 years as oppose to 3 years that companies were pushing for,, did everybody forget 3 year contracts ???!!

also unlocking of cell phones , that was crtc doing, where as before bell/telus/rogers didnt have to unlock phones, now post contracts,, they do.

below are a few points put forth by crtc...
Quote:

to cancel your contract at no cost after a maximum of two years
to cancel your contract and return your phone at no cost, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if you are unhappy with your service
to have your phone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid in full for your phone, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request
to have your service suspended at no cost if your phone is lost or stolen
to receive a Critical Information Summary, which explains your contract in under two pages
to receive a notification when you are roaming in a different country, telling you what the rates are for voice services, text messages, and data usage
to limit your data overage charges to $50 a month and your data roaming charges to $100 a month
to pay no extra charges for a service described as “unlimited”
to refuse a change to the key terms and conditions of your contract, including the services in your contract, the price for those services, and the duration of your contract

murd0c 09-30-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool001 (Post 8536525)
its max 2 years as oppose to 3 years that companies were pushing for,, did everybody forget 3 year contracts ???!!

also unlocking of cell phones , that was crtc doing, where as before bell/telus/rogers didnt have to unlock phones, now post contracts,, they do.

and since they are now 2 year contracts our cell bills are higher to make up the cost of the phone...

tool001 09-30-2014 11:36 AM

^ my phone bill didn't go up.... i guess u should re negotiate ur contract?! ;)

im still paying same i did before

the problem is ,,the big 3, on a regularly meet together and agree upon what to charge customers etc for services. it is a monopoly cause prices are adjusted among them , we do need crtc to oversee this and keep them in check. its not so black and white .

i have worked for bell for 6 years. im saying from exp.