REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Transamerica life insurance?

Anyone heard of this transameraica life insurance/retirement plan where you save money and invest and its all tax free?

I had a client who tries to sign me up for such thing. Is this a scam? or something real? He tells me that he does this money coaching thing to get poeple to sign up and he gets a commission each time people signs up under him. (kinda like a piramid marketing) He did show how the investment return is greater than bank savings account blah blah blah..

He also showed me a book called " what revenue canada doesnt want you to know.."

I told the guy I am not interested in investing.

Any insights or experience with such scheme?
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #2

I think he is part of the WFG? world financial group? I checked with wikipedia and there is a page about them.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #3

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
You can invest your money into registered accounts like an RRSP or TFSA and have your money grow tax free. It's a little more complicated than that but you can google both of those and there would be a huge amount of information out there for you.

Transamerica is a life insurance company that operates in North America. They currently offer insurance products and used to offer investment products through individual channels.

WFG is a managing general agent but operates in a different way than most. Transamerica bought WFG a while back and I can only assume that because of their relation they still offer investments through WFG. I would steer clear from WFG. Like you said it doesn't seem like they're looking after your best interests.

If these are products you are looking for I would advise looking for an individual financial advisor not someone tied to a company.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
TransAmerica are the fine folks who brought you this San Francisco Landmark

In hindsight, kind of a dubious situation where a financial institution is associated with a pyramid

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
The Return Of CivicBlues?!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

all money making schemes legal or illegal are structured as a pyramid (the top guy makes the most $$$)
even countries are structured that way
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
to get tax free is not just from TFSA, you can borrow from the Bank and the money is tax free. Capital Gains are currently taxed at 1/2, assign your Life insurance beneficiary to the lender.

i think that's how it works, pls correct if im not
Old 10-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

its legit, they are financial advisors and have the same licenses the guys at the banks do

tilt your head back and using your hand pretend to shake a salt shaker in your mouth... you will notice that it will actually taste like salt in your mouth..
elwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwell View Post
its legit, they are financial advisors and have the same licenses the guys at the banks do

Legit financial planners typically don't recruit their clients to join them under a MLM system.

I class these guys in the same level as the Primerica guys.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
A friend of mine got involved in that WFG crap and tried to get us into it, even the most basic research into those guys should tell you to run like hell.

According to the spiel they gave us ~1.5 years ago, he should be making 100k+ a year by now, yet he still works part time at a grocery store...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwell View Post
No it isn't and no they don't, they have *one* of the licenses a financial advisor has. Would you really want someone who took a 4 month course being your financial advisor over someone who went to university for 4 years?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote