REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
Grounds to dispute red light ticket?

I just wanted to see if I could get an informed opinion as to whether or not I have any chance in disputing a red light ticket I recieved. Here's my situation:

It was around 8am last week at the intersection of Burrard and Pacific. I was heading southbound onto the bridge when I slammed on my brakes on a stale yellow light (yes, my bad I know). I skidded, seeing how it was freshly rained on that morning, and came to a complete stop over the crosswalk. I did NOT exit the intersection on the other side. I then backed up since there was no traffic behind me. I saw the camera flashes and thought oh crap, but figured someone would review it manually and toss it.

Lo and Behold I received a ticket in the mail less than a week later stating I ran the red light. The photos show me before entering the crosswalk, and afterwards stopped on it. I was clocked at going 31km/h (my skid speed). You can even see my brake lights on.

Should I have paid more attention to the yellow? Yes
Should I have been going slower for the conditions? Probably

My question is, do I have any chance of going to court to get this tossed out? Or am I already on the hook for crossing the white lines?

Thanks for your help.
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
The fact that the picture shows your brake lights on helps to support your story. If you truly ran the red, it would not make sense to have your brakes on!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The fact that the picture shows your brake lights on helps to support your story. If you truly ran the red, it would not make sense to have your brakes on!
Unless you're one of those retards who drive with two feet in an automatic
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

If your car crossed the painted line, then the offence is complete. Your only defense would be if it wasn't your car, or the light wasn't red. Pay it early for the discount...
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
So I give the phone number on my ticket a call and the guy at the other end of the line (a cop? I'm not sure) basically says the same thing ^. I'm being ticketed for crossing the pedestrian crossing on a red.

Is that really a thing? Does anyone get ticketed in person for stopping past the crosswalk line? That happens way too often as it is with no consequences.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
So I give the phone number on my ticket a call and the guy at the other end of the line (a cop? I'm not sure) basically says the same thing ^. I'm being ticketed for crossing the pedestrian crossing on a red.

Is that really a thing? Does anyone get ticketed in person for stopping past the crosswalk line? That happens way too often as it is with no consequences.
No it is not a "Real" thing.. It was made up by the person on the phone just to make you pay... seriously though, the camera's are adjusted to take a picture after your car has committed past a certain area... You didn't stop in time. You do not have to exit the intersection to receive a disobey red light infraction. Just like many people stop past the white line at a stop sign... you are technically supposed to stop behind it, then proceed. You got caught. Don't justify it by thinking about the other 90% that get away with MVA infractions every day
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Red light
129 (1) Subject to subsection (2), when a red light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal, the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the red light must cause it to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before entering the intersection, and subject to the provisions of subsection (3), must not cause the vehicle to proceed until a traffic control signal instructs the driver that he or she is permitted to do so.

(2) The driver of a bus approaching an intersection and facing a red light and a prescribed white rectangular indicator may cause the bus to proceed through the intersection.
(3) Despite subsection (1), and except when a right turn permitted by this subsection is prohibited by a sign at an intersection, the driver of a vehicle facing the red light, and which in obedience to it is stopped as closely as practicable to a marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, as closely as practicable to the intersection, may cause the vehicle to make a right turn, but the driver must yield the right of way to all pedestrians and vehicles lawfully proceeding as directed by the signal at the intersection.
(4) When a red light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) a pedestrian facing the red light must not enter the roadway unless instructed that he or she may do so by a pedestrian traffic control signal,
(b) except when a left turn permitted by this paragraph is prohibited by a sign at the intersection, the driver of a vehicle facing the red light at the intersection of not more than 2 highways, and which in obedience to it is stopped as closely as practicable to a marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, as closely as practicable to the intersection, may cause the vehicle to make a left turn into a highway on which traffic is restricted to the direction in which he or she causes the vehicle to turn, but the driver must yield the right of way to all pedestrians and vehicles lawfully proceeding as directed by the signal at the intersection, and
(c) a pedestrian proceeding across the roadway and facing the red light exhibited after he or she entered the roadway
(i) must proceed to the sidewalk as quickly as possible, and
(ii) has the right of way for that purpose over all vehicles.
(5) When a red light is exhibited at a place other than an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the signal must cause it to stop before entering the nearest marked crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before reaching the signal, and
(b) a pedestrian may proceed across the roadway.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
if you pay it now, there are no points. if you dispute it, it's against you as a driver, rather than the registered owner of the vehicle and carries 3 points i believe.

so it's in your best interest to pay it and take it as a learning experience, as you did commit the offense listed.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote