REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 10-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
what carrier do you use?

So I want to get set up with a new plan/phone. I'm currently with Bell I pay $70/month for 6GB of data, unl. text & calls. but NO long distance. since I just moved to bc and left my friends and family in the snow I need a Canada wide plan. I've been looking into Koodo but their data plans kinda blow.

Whats the best carrier? I've had the same plan for 8 years so I've never had to research or pay attention before.

I need data, LD and text as cheap as possible and I want to get a new phone with the contract.

does anyone work at a Victoria/saanich area cell store and know of any promotions going on right now ?

thanks
Advertisement
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

You can check the carrier's websites for plans. It's a waste of time for me to type them out.

Bell, Rogers, Telus are the big companies and generally have decent coverage. Fido, Virgin, Koodo (and a few others) piggyback on their services and usually have cheaper plans but less handset choices and less high-use plan options.

Wind and Mobility have the cheapest plans but they don't have the same coverage as above. You get what you paid for.

I'm on Fido. I like the Rogers network and they have affordable data plans at the 40-55 dollar range.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
fuckin rogers bro, best
watch my canucks n shit on the phone
got coverage in surrey too when i holla at dem bitches

LUONGOOOO
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
RS controls my life!

haha okay thanks ill check out rogers' website
Old 10-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
RS controls my life!

okay so another question, I've had an iphone since they came out and I want to switch to android because iphones, as everyone knows, suck balls.

whats the best android phone? I don't know anything about them. teach me lol
Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #6

I think you think iPhone sucks balls because of what people tell you. You should make your own decisions

Second gen Moto G if you're poor

Nexus 5 and OnePlus for budget

Galaxy S5, HTC M8, Sony Z3 for high-end

Note 4 if you're far sighted
Old 10-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
The Brown Reason

On a serious note,

I get my10, 6 gigs of data, rogers to rogers calling free, etc. for something like $70/month

However, friends that work at rogers have told me that since Rogers no longer offers 3 year plans (due to the government ruling saying 3 year plans were illegal or something), they now attempt to get the same kind of revenue out of 2 year plans -- Basically, monthly rate has increased by ~33% (don't know how true that is since I'm still on my old 3 year plan).

If i was in the market for a new phone, I would personally go for wind mobile. They're expanding their towers, you get coverage at SFU (burnaby) and UBC -- excellent if you're a student, and they seem to have the least surcharges/hidden fees (i.e. their roaming plans are awesome compared to rogers/bell).

Phones (good android phones) are so cheap now that it doesn't make sense to sign a contract to subsidize its cost. For around $400 you get a nexus 5 or the oneplus one, which are both excellent phones
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
I think you think iPhone sucks balls because of what people tell you. You should make your own decisions

Second gen Moto G if you're poor

Nexus 5 and OnePlus for budget

Galaxy S5, HTC M8, Sony Z3 for high-end

Note 4 if you're far sighted
not the case, ive just been too poor for a new phone and have a 3 year contract with this phone. im looking at the sony xperia z1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
On a serious note,

I get my10, 6 gigs of data, rogers to rogers calling free, etc. for something like $70/month

However, friends that work at rogers have told me that since Rogers no longer offers 3 year plans (due to the government ruling saying 3 year plans were illegal or something), they now attempt to get the same kind of revenue out of 2 year plans -- Basically, monthly rate has increased by ~33% (don't know how true that is since I'm still on my old 3 year plan).

If i was in the market for a new phone, I would personally go for wind mobile. They're expanding their towers, you get coverage at SFU (burnaby) and UBC -- excellent if you're a student, and they seem to have the least surcharges/hidden fees (i.e. their roaming plans are awesome compared to rogers/bell).

Phones (good android phones) are so cheap now that it doesn't make sense to sign a contract to subsidize its cost. For around $400 you get a nexus 5 or the oneplus one, which are both excellent phones

thanks, I just moved and with everything else I don't have $400 to throw at a phone but ill check out wind ive never even heard of them before
Old 10-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Wind but I miss the ability to use my phone in underground parking lots/lower levels of concrete buildings/elevators

i don't know how the wind store by metrotown t&t gets a signal...regardless of the phone im using i have no signal there but they do
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Wind but I miss the ability to use my phone in underground parking lots/lower levels of concrete buildings/elevators

i don't know how the wind store by metrotown t&t gets a signal...regardless of the phone im using i have no signal there but they do
I cant find anything for wind in Victoria
Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #11

Don't get wind: WIND Mobile | Coverage
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

daaammn.. that $35 plan sounds preeettttyy decent.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
How often are you out of town? Virgin/Koodo/Bell/Telus tend to have better service in more rural areas.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
How often are you out of town? Virgin/Koodo/Bell/Telus tend to have better service in more rural areas.
im not out of town a lot, Im less than 15 mins from Victoria, I just have friends and family back in ab and need a good long distance plan.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #15
The Brown Reason

I just bought one of these for $140 for my dad (phones only last him 2-3 months before getting destroyed)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's got specs roughly on par with the nexus 4, it's brand new so you don't have to worry about the IMEI blocking that is a big deal w/ used phones, and its unlocked for AWS (Mobilicity / WIND) and regular bands

Just saying, because you said androids are too much
Old 10-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
If you dont mind doing a little bit of work.. you can get onto the Fido/Koodo SK/MB plan..
$55 Canada-Wide unlimited call/sms/mms + 5gb data...

Im on the koodo version... not bad.. but thinking of switching onto the fido version...
Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #17
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

Maybe it's a special sim? Swap sims to see?

Do report back!!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #18
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
I cant find anything for wind in Victoria
Hiya,

It just so happens that I am doing school in Victoria (UVIC). The reception is decent on campus, the sannich area and downtown. However, once you get on the highway or the ferry, you lose reception completely, and it shows a R on your phone, which stands for roaming.

Other than that, if you stay in the Sannich area and downtown, you will be fine.

I am on the $35 per month plan (unlimited everything), the data speed is actually decent 5MBP on average.

My advice is to give it a try, since there are no contracts.

Cheers,
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Rogers

I love the coverage, been using them for years and have never had any issues whatsoever. Plus I only pay $56 tax in for a 6gb plan so can't complain with that either.

I can only say fuck Bell, gf attempted them back when iphone 5 came out 2 years ago and the fact that we would get 1 bar of 3g (not even 4g) or sometimes no signal at all in our house was a fucking joke. House in Vancouver, not underground in a basement, within their towers (I checked) and heck we were only 2 km from their call centre which may not mean anything I suppose but it seemed ironic. Needless to say they're banned.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #20
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Fido. Is basically on Rogers network but they have less phones than Rogers. I purchase my own phones anyways so doesn't matter.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #21
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Rogers

I love the coverage, been using them for years and have never had any issues whatsoever. Plus I only pay $56 tax in for a 6gb plan so can't complain with that either.

I can only say fuck Bell, gf attempted them back when iphone 5 came out 2 years ago and the fact that we would get 1 bar of 3g (not even 4g) or sometimes no signal at all in our house was a fucking joke. House in Vancouver, not underground in a basement, within their towers (I checked) and heck we were only 2 km from their call centre which may not mean anything I suppose but it seemed ironic. Needless to say they're banned.
holy that's a good deal. well good to know I'll check I've never really had any problems with bell but im on a corporate "trucker" plan.. no idea how I snailed that. im gonna do some plan shopping this weekend