REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Vancouver Municipal Election - Nov 15, 2014

Seeing as how this is a little over a month away and the dismal turnout in the last 2011 election (34% I believe). I thought I'd give everyone here a heads up seeing as how this election more than any other probably affects us in our day to day lives than either the Provincial or Federal ones.

Our Incumbent Mayor "Moonbeam" Robertson of Vision Vancouver

His most likely successful challenger, Kirk LaPointe of the Non Partisan Association (NPA)

Where to Vote:
Where to vote: Regular and advance voting locations for 2014 | City of Vancouver

Now I'm not one to wax on about my political stances but the incumbent Mayor and his "Visionless" Vancouver cronies really rubs me the wrong way with his obvious disdain for consultation, developer brown-nosing and of course the major cluster-fuck with implementing bike lanes and general traffic management. Now he's throwing out frivolous lawsuits around wasting taxpayers money on the CP rail Arbutus line.

City of Vancouver taking CP Rail to court over the Arbutus corridor | News1130

Not saying that the NPA guy would be any better but at least throwing the bums out every 3 years will keep them on their toes.

I can't believe you idiots re-elected him in 2011. I didn't vote as I was out of the country.

Discuss?
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
voted against moonbeam last time and will vote against him again. i'm glad this time around there is someone that may have a chance this year.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

to the OP: So you are saying you didn't vote in the last election, think's the NPA guy is not any better, and call everyone idiots because we voted for him.

It's a democracy, just because you didn't support his policies doesn't mean they might not be the right ones. Hindsight is always 20/20

I voted for him last time because:

1. I like the direction he's going with the bike lanes. Sure it's a car forum so most on here will hate it, but A LOT of people in Vancouver (not talking about burnaby/surrey/richmond etc) don't drive and live close to where they work. We prefer to bike if we can. A lot of people in my office and the offices around me also bike to work.

2. He's making a some good development changes and developing many areas, Gastown, false creek, making more neighbourhoods that many people want to live in.

3. Susan Anton or whoever from the NPA didnt have any better alternative policies.

That being said --- the things I don't like about him:

- caters to developers way too much. just look at how Concord raped the city by not paying property taxes by science world, that's millions of tax dollars that the city residents are not getting.
- doesn't limit height and density restrictions in many areas. Just build and think of a plan later.
- poor city/traffic layout and caters to many people's NIMBYism.
- don't like how he plans to tear down the Georgia viaduct.
- spends a bit too much, the budget is increasing much more than inflation. We have all these new developments and money from property taxes but our taxes are going up still.
- don't like how high the percentage of our municipal taxes goes to Police and Firefighters, I dont feel the VDP are firefighters are worth it at the moment.

don't know much about LaPointe yet, but will research more and decide who I will vote for.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

First time voting as a Vancouver resident, super excited! Will be voting NPA, but I have a feeling that Gregor will win again based simply on the fact of brand power and that not many people know who Kirk LaPointe is.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
First time voting as a Vancouver resident, super excited! Will be voting NPA, but I have a feeling that Gregor will win again based simply on the fact of brand power and that not many people know who Kirk LaPointe is.
yea, they see vision and they automatically vote for whoever is under that team. I think Vision party members won all except for one of their seats last time.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #6

slightly off topic- but personally I hope Whoever gets elected approves and allow Uber into Vancouver.

Seriously, other cities have it, and the monopoly that the taxi companies have needs to go.
So difficult to fetch a cab sometimes. My friends that have used Uber in other cities like the service. Plus allowing them will bring down cab fares.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
slightly off topic- but personally I hope Whoever gets elected approves and allow Uber into Vancouver.

Seriously, other cities have it, and the monopoly that the taxi companies have needs to go.
So difficult to fetch a cab sometimes. My friends that have used Uber in other cities like the service. Plus allowing them will bring down cab fares.
+1 during the skytrain shutdown it was near impossible to get a cab. I was smart and got off early as soon as I heard the skytrain issue and call a cab. More peopel came and one lady just took the cab I call in (because the driver call literally on the phone with me) yet this lady just hop in.

2nd cab that came I JUST hop in and people started yelling and screaming that it is their cab. Too bad so sad I got in I ain't coming out.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i'd totally vote...but i don't live in Vancouver anymore.

34% turn out...goddamnn
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
when you vote, if you vote, don't always think about "me me me me" think about the city as a whole and pick a candidate that you think will try to care for everyones needs somewhat and not just a particular segment of the population
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
linguistic ninja

I subscribe to the the belief that ALL mainstream politicians preach inclusiveness and broad based platforms in order to get elected. However, in the end they are all beholden to the special interests that funded them to their last electoral victory or that will fund them in the next.

It's a shitty deal, our democratic system. The only way I can see in gaining any semblance of accountability is to keep the revolving door spinning. Always vote the incumbent out. Keep their snouts out of the troughs as long as possible, even if it's another slew of pigs you vote in.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Will not vote for Moonbeam because of the new biweekly garbage collection schedule
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

What happened to Meena Wong? I thought she was a candidate as well.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

"I will end homelessness" - Gregor Robertson

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:33 AM   #14
VLS Head Mod

First time I'm able to vote is it only these two?
I have to read up on the candidates I guess lol
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #15
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i'd say they're the most well known/'credible'. i'm sure there will be something in the paper or online closer to vote date as to who you can vote for and their stances,policies, etc.

btw, the battle between the parks board and the 5-6 local community centres as to the control of funds - iirc the parks board council were all vision members and spear headed that shit show correct?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
when you vote, if you vote, don't always think about "me me me me" think about the city as a whole and pick a candidate that you think will try to care for everyones needs somewhat and not just a particular segment of the population
no, just vote for what you think is most important, or least evil.

it's a democracy, if everyone wants to vote for 'me, me, me' and you don't like that, then you can leave.

Why are all mayoral candidates (in vancouver) super left wing? I assume this LaPointe fella is just the same?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
This^.

Except for the bikers, forget about that segment of the population...

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #18
linguistic ninja

Now our exalted mayor is proposing civil disobedience over pipelines, something he has no jurisdictional authority over. Not to mention the KM pipeline doesn't even cross Vancouver's municipal boundaries.

Vision Vancouver pledges leadership against Kinder Morgan | News1130

Old 10-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #19
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Now our exalted mayor is proposing civil disobedience over pipelines, something he has no jurisdictional authority over. Not to mention the KM pipeline doesn't even cross Vancouver's municipal boundaries.

Vision Vancouver pledges leadership against Kinder Morgan | News1130

Moonbeam is just ultra fucking hipster.

If a perfect world where money grows on trees, sure, no pipeline is the way to go.

But the pipeline makes total sense in the long run and overall grand scheme of things.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!

Why is the COPE team not a part of this thread?

Anyway, I'm gonna do advanced voting. Will be my first civic election that I actually care about. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #21
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
The COPE candidate, Meena Wong, is a little more interesting than Bike Boy and the LaPointe fellow. She seems to have some ideas that I agree with when it comes to housing affordability, but her left leaning background concerns me.

Of course, Bike Boy and Lapointe's right leaning approach, especially when it comes to housing, concerns me as well.

From the look of things, it seems like my vote is going come down to annother lesser of the 3 evils kind of thing, instead of someone I actually want to vote for.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #22
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The COPE candidate, Meena Wong, is a little more interesting than Bike Boy and the LaPointe fellow. She seems to have some ideas that I agree with when it comes to housing affordability, but her left leaning background concerns me.

Of course, Bike Boy and Lapointe's right leaning approach, especially when it comes to housing, concerns me as well.

From the look of things, it seems like my vote is going come down to annother lesser of the 3 evils kind of thing, instead of someone I actually want to vote for.
It's always about choosing the lesser of evils with politicians
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Meena Wong has a lot of ideas but has no proposition on how to implement any of them.

Plus she wants to put at-grade light transit along Broadway. The buses right now carry more passengers than LRT would have capacity for. And can you imagine the mess along Broadway not only during construction, but when it is under operation?? That idea alone kills her credibility.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #24
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Meena Wong has a lot of ideas but has no proposition on how to implement any of them.

Plus she wants to put at-grade light transit along Broadway. The buses right now carry more passengers than LRT would have capacity for. And can you imagine the mess along Broadway not only during construction, but when it is under operation?? That idea alone kills her credibility.
I am against Light Rail as well, it does more harm than good for the present and future of Vancouver's transportation system.

I was gonna vote for COPE, but I am not so sure now. I don't like Vision Vancouver and Robertson, but they seem to make the most sense of the three. Don't get me started on NPA (Kirk LaPointe), their team is a mess, they don't even have a platform/campaign available on their site yet (as of 11/03) and tomorrow is the first day of advanced polling. Sad.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #25
I am Hook'd on RS

I haven't lived here for long (about 6 months now), but I think I'm more tilted towards voting for Robertson after some thought, unless I am convinced otherwise. Robertson does seem well articulated and seems like a person I can relate with. I do live downtown and use the bike lanes quite a bit and I feel the city is lot more commutable --- if you bike. LaPointe does raise a few points against Robertson especially of those who commute to work from the suburbs to Vancouver that the bike lanes do make it much more an ordeal and couples this issue with this so called new "idle" pollution. For these points I can see how people may be able to resonate with this guy. I don't think the NPA, LaPointe and his supporters get it. I believe a thriving city needs a healthy built environment which cultivates a sense of community, and healthier people, which also lowers disease in the population and overall costs of health care too. Driving to and from suburbia to the city work for example goes against this approach. LaPointe should just live in the city... cost of living too high? Just live with less (downsize)... people are just too attached to their material possessions that don't add much real value to their life and purpose. This idle gas pollution is just bullshit that sounds good at first. LaPointe also touts that his group has more ties with other jurisdictions such as fed, prov, first nations to help carry out the things Robertson has promised. I am not sure how he does but that is what he says. His campaign focuses on the negative and hasn't really shed light on how he's going to do it. I think if Robertson doesn't win it will set back Vancouver as there needs to be time to adjust to the NPA or COPE.
vudooca is offline   Reply With Quote