REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Plumber you can make money… But really? You want to deal with gross shit day in, day out?

Electrician all the way. Close second? Air conditioning/Heat pumps etc.
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #27
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Plumber you can make money… But really? You want to deal with gross shit day in, day out?

Electrician all the way. Close second? Air conditioning/Heat pumps etc.
There's alot more to plumbing than dealing with shit.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
There's alot more to plumbing than dealing with shit.
You take my shit comment too literally. Gross shit does not just mean excrament, as per the most politically correct website online; Urban dictionary.

Shit
The Most Functional English Word

Well, it's shit...that's right, shit!
Shit may just be the most functional
word in the English language.
Examples:
You can get shit-faced,
Be shit out of luck,
or have shit for brains.
With a little effort,
you can get your shit together,
Find a place for your shit, Or
be asked to shit or get off the pot.
You can smoke shit,
buy shit,
sell shit,
lose shit,
find shit,
forget shit,
and tell others to eat shit.
……. The list goes on.

Everything to do with plumbing, unless your strictly dealing with new construction is dirty.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #29
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiWushiRoll View Post
Becoming an electrician or plumber has interested me in the past. Probably gonna look into that again.
It sounds like you just enjoy working on cars. Trust me, when money comes into play, a hobby is no longer a hobby.

Solution? Get yourself a project car to build up how you want it while pursuing a career path you won't regret.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Reminded me of this:

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #31
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiWushiRoll View Post
Becoming an electrician or plumber has interested me in the past. Probably gonna look into that again.
Electrical is probably the most versatile trade there is, everything from residential to commercial to manufacturing to working up north is available and always will be.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #32
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
be an elechicken.
good money, challenging, always work, good to know for your own house/car
(just please don't use marrets on your cars... lol I've seen this too many times)
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #33
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
And driver less cars are exempt from mechanical maintenance?

Also 5-20 years is a pretty broad margin for someone to guesstimate something will become "commonplace". Sounds like something some dipshit author who knows nothing pulled out of his ass cause it made him seem smart.

Also the experience of someone who can fix things, goes much farther than cars, it extends too all things mechanical, of which our dependency will only continue to grow.

My point being, don't limit yourself to not doing what you desire to do, because you think there might not be a future in it. The truth is nobody knows what's going to happen tomorrow, let alone try and tell me that trades are useless because in 10 years robots will do everything for us.
No, driverless cars are not exempt from mechanic maintenance. Speaking of mechanical maintenance, although it appears there are a growing percentage of dissatisfied auto mechanics, you can still try to look at things optimistically. Audi mechanics now have robots assist in there repairs/work. Other industries are starting to flirt with the idea as well. Generally speaking, as a mechanic or whatever job you have, you want clientele stuck in the 90's or clientele that are always curious and are constantly interested in updating?

The idea of working in the automotive industry sounds amazing. Went to BCIT's info session on becoming an auto-body guy but after detailed research on the future of driverless cars it is a risk obviously cannot take. You want auto insurance to go up or for it to go down? I prefer it to go down.
rcoccultwar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcowboy View Post
No, driverless cars are not exempt from mechanic maintenance. Speaking of mechanical maintenance, although it appears there are a growing percentage of dissatisfied auto mechanics, you can still try to look at things optimistically. Audi mechanics now have robots assist in there repairs/work. Other industries are starting to flirt with the idea as well. Generally speaking, as a mechanic or whatever job you have, you want clientele stuck in the 90's or clientele that are always curious and are constantly interested in updating?

The idea of working in the automotive industry sounds amazing. Went to BCIT's info session on becoming an auto-body guy but after detailed research on the future of driverless cars it is a risk obviously cannot take. You want auto insurance to go up or for it to go down? I prefer it to go down.
What?

Did you just string random words together and hope that it comes together as a coherent thought?

You talk about mechanics & utilization of robots, then throw in some non-sense about clients stuck in the 90's....

Then out of left field you delve into insurance rates, and how you hope they are going to go down...

wtf...

If I try to decipher what you are saying I get something like this: We won't need technicians, because robots will fix the cars, and we won't need body repair people because driverless cars won't get into accidents. Now assuming that your wild hopes and dreams come true (which is so far off that any sane human being will not base their career on). We will still need trades people and technicians to fix and build your robots.

Next you are going to try and tell me that the robots will repair the robots, which repair the cars...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #35

I'd say this fits his username nicely.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #36

I read cell phones will fix vehicles in the next 400 years, after reading that i just cant take that chance of going into any trade
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #37
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Went to school for the AST program a year ago and came out as a lot boy for a 6 months. Now I'm a lube guy at a different dealership.

It's really slow in the field right now. Maybe it's just the dealerships that I've worked at. I'm only doing this because I don't know what else to do, lol.

Find something else
Old 10-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #38
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Also, depending on the dynamics of the shop, have fun dealing with cheap, know-it-all customers.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #39
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
our dealership cant seem to catch up we need more techs and advisors
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
What?

Did you just string random words together and hope that it comes together as a coherent thought?

You talk about mechanics & utilization of robots, then throw in some non-sense about clients stuck in the 90's....

Then out of left field you delve into insurance rates, and how you hope they are going to go down...

wtf...

If I try to decipher what you are saying I get something like this: We won't need technicians, because robots will fix the cars, and we won't need body repair people because driverless cars won't get into accidents. Now assuming that your wild hopes and dreams come true (which is so far off that any sane human being will not base their career on). We will still need trades people and technicians to fix and build your robots.

Next you are going to try and tell me that the robots will repair the robots, which repair the cars...
Maybe you should slow down a bit. Just re-read my post and just that with internet communication format, yes its not perfect but still a pass. It is coherent. You want references I guess?.. Go search yourself MEME405 if you don't trust me.

No re-read. I'm all for trades growth and development particularly relating to infrastructure. Now I'm starting to doubt this notion.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
I read cell phones will fix vehicles in the next 400 years, after reading that i just cant take that chance of going into any trade
I read Xiaomi cellphones have a narrow lead in sales.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #42

Considering that driverless cars haven't been perfected yet, let alone hit the market, by the time they become mainstream somebody entering an auto trade now could have had a full career and retired.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #43

Quote:
U decided against it because driver less cars and robots are taking over? Oww boy...no occuptation is safe then.

I would say auto mechanics are getting the shaft. Cars arent getting fixed as often because reliability is up. Also nothing gets repaired anymore. You're just swaping parts in and out. Best off to specialize in other mechanical trades.

Like I said before. Autobody is a good trade as long as you're dedicated.
That goes with any career. The money will come...just focus on being better than your peers.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
U decided against it because driver less cars and robots are taking over? Oww boy...no occuptation is safe then.
That and the fact I would not mind some days to let my car drive me home hands free while I take advantage of my Kuerig? coffee dispenser option of 1000 dollars while I read the paper on the way to work.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #45
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
That and the fact I would not mind some days to let my car drive me home hands free while I take advantage of my Kuerig? coffee dispenser option of 1000 dollars while I read the paper on the way to work.
My head is starting to hurt from trying to follow this guy's train of thought.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2014, 02:31 AM   #46
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Everything to do with plumbing, unless your strictly dealing with new construction is dirty.
It's a slight exaggeration to suggest everything outside of new builds is dirty; it's really only dirty where you're tying into existing. It's not even tough to do strictly new builds, if you so desire. I rarely work outside of new builds despite being totally open to renos, etc. I think plumbing is a great trade to go into precisely because the slight negative perceptions of it, in comparison to electrical, thin out the competition quite a bit.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #47
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Electrical is probably the most versatile trade there is, everything from residential to commercial to manufacturing to working up north is available and always will be.

Imo, I think residential electrician new construction is hard work.

I'm in the Low voltage alarm system and home automation , it's just much easier lugging a cat wire Instead of luggin around loomex , plus programming the system to Integrate all the system together is way cooler than just installing a on/off light switch
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cillu View Post
My head is starting to hurt from trying to follow this guy's train of thought.
If it makes you feel any better, in 30 years I would say driverless cars guaranteed. Robots 'man-ing' technical hands-on jobs is beyond my comprehension. Elon Musk and amongst other powerful people see this as a danger if it ever happens but good to know it has crossed people's minds at the very least.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.w *// View Post
Imo, I think residential electrician new construction is hard work.

I'm in the Low voltage alarm system and home automation , it's just much easier lugging a cat wire Instead of luggin around loomex , plus programming the system to Integrate all the system together is way cooler than just installing a on/off light switch
I never said it was easy, just that it's versatile. There are a lot of different things that require electricians and will continue to require electricians for a very long time. There's nothing wrong with residential alarm systems but that career is very specific, you'd have a harder time transferring that to other industries should you desire to.

Either way I'd take working on new construction over pulling wires for any system in an existing build, I hate doing that stuff albeit I don't all have the tools a pro has.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #50
I don't get it

Like many have said, be prepared to grind it out for a few years as a Auto mechanic. Even after getting your license, you're not guaranteed to be financially stable. I wouldn't go into mechanics for the money. If you do pursue it, specialize in something

I would've became a mechanic but realized that the money wasn't great so went into another field. I am happy to be able to still learn and work on my own car.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote