REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Got charged with the same offence twice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698819-got-charged-same-offence-twice.html)

Nicotine 10-10-2014 11:48 PM

Got charged with the same offence twice

Hey guys, my day in court is coming up.

I was pulled over for not having lights on, rookie mistake, but I also had too many people in the car for my licence (4 people including me)

So in the end I got 3 offences on the ticket

Too many people
No lights
And too many people again.

So my question is: can you get charged twice for the same offence on the same ticket? I had gotten this ticket before when I was in high school years ago, and it was only one charge and that time I had a full car (5 people including me).

So is this a mistake on the ticket and the ticket is not valid?
Or can I be charged twice?

Thanks guys

nma 10-10-2014 11:56 PM

how did you not see that when the officer handed you the ticket??
the ticket is still valid, it's probably just a mistake and you'll have to pay the other two...

How the hell do you drive with out your lights on? Please don't drive.

Nicotine 10-11-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nma (Post 8541941)
how did you not see that when the officer handed you the ticket??
the ticket is still valid, it's probably just a mistake and you'll have to pay the other two...

How the hell do you drive with out your lights on? Please don't drive.

I was designated driver for all this but I don't have to argue this point, making sure everyone is secure in the car must have just forgot to hit the switch

ninjatune 10-11-2014 03:28 AM

I'm assuming your "too many ppl" ticket is Drive Contrary to Restrictions Sec 25(15) as your licence restricted you to one passenger other than family.. If that's the case, perhaps you broke another restriction, such as not having your N up? If it was a mistake, the officer may realize that during his/her court prep and request to withdraw the one count prior to proceeding with a trial. This can be done fairly informally and quickly if the JP agrees to it..

zulutango 10-11-2014 05:21 AM

What is the actual wording and sections you were charged with, exactly as listed on the VT?

You can be charged individually for seperate identical offences...eg you can be charged for having your brakes out of adjustment on a commercial vehilcle...eg 1 seperate charge for each of 4 out of adjustment brake. You could be charged for each child under 16 who was not seat belted in your car...etc.

DragonChi 10-11-2014 09:23 AM

Being charged for each person not allowed in the car sounds pretty unreasonable.

My counter arguement is that you're not charged for each kilometre you speed over. Although, the speeding thing is a scaling offense. E.G. 10 km/h over, 20 km/h over, 30 km/h over.

I hope your drunk friends paid for your ticket.

BoostedBB6 10-11-2014 09:34 AM

Designated driver......driving illegally (knowingly) and does not turn the lights on....Perhaps, as a good friend, you should call them a cab next time rather than break laws to save your friends a few $$ that could cost you much more.

DragonChi 10-11-2014 10:28 AM

Truth. Live and learn, we all make mistakes when we're young. Then again, straight up telling them to call a cab might make you seem like a dick, especially if they are your friends.

BoostedBB6 10-11-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8542034)
Truth. Live and learn, we all make mistakes when we're young. Then again, straight up telling them to call a cab might make you seem like a dick, especially if they are your friends.

Not fair on your part tho. A good friend will not put you in a spot that causes you to have to spend a bunch of money/time just so they can party and leave you with the bill.
Calling them a cab, or arranging other transportation for them would be the right thing to do IMO. I even think there are some services that will drive you home for free in your own car these days. They show up and drive you home, its a pretty good system.
Good on you for taking you friends home tho, just need to do it on the legal next time haha

DragonChi 10-11-2014 10:52 AM

Those are great points. Yes, OP next time call your friends a cab or service. :)

Nicotine 10-11-2014 11:02 AM

I understand the driving contrary to restrictions, and get why i was pulled over but the fact that i was charged twice for the same thing does not seem logical. And while i understand that calling a cab would have been a more acceptable way to get my friends home, i was still doing the RIGHT thing by not letting them drive themselves, even though it was techniaclly illegal. Getting a ticket, isnt as bad as having to attend a funeral

BoostedBB6 10-11-2014 11:32 AM

Indeed you are right.
As for the ticket, take it to court and ask about the second (duplicate) offence and ask if they can have that removed. Seems like you are accepting what has happened except for the second (duplicate) offence which I think they will have no issue with removing.

sho_bc 10-11-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8541980)
What is the actual wording and sections you were charged with, exactly as listed on the VT?

Again, what is the wording for each charge on the ticket? It may or may not make a difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicotine (Post 8542051)
I understand the driving contrary to restrictions, and get why i was pulled over but the fact that i was charged twice for the same thing does not seem logical. And while i understand that calling a cab would have been a more acceptable way to get my friends home, i was still doing the RIGHT thing by not letting them drive themselves, even though it was techniaclly illegal. Getting a ticket, isnt as bad as having to attend a funeral

You can still do the "right thing" of not letting your friends drive by not breaking the law. You know, calling them a cab, arranging alternate methods of transportation home.... As has been mentioned previously. It wasn't "technically illegal", it was 100% illegal. I agree that getting a ticket is better than a funeral, but both were avoidable in this instance.

nma 10-11-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicotine (Post 8542051)

I've done the same thing. I've also gotten a ticket for it. When I went to ask for a price reduction, the officer withdrew the ticket... I was more so bashing you for driving without your lights, that one I haven't managed to do yet.. :P

I find it kind of funny how they write you a ticket for breaking the law, then allow you to drive off, still breaking the law... LOL

Nicotine 10-11-2014 12:55 PM

They didnt they made my drunk friends walk...

nma 10-11-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicotine (Post 8542100)
They didnt they made my drunk friends walk...

Oh, the officer let me continue driving... Good luck with your ticket.

DragonChi 10-11-2014 01:06 PM

Not getting a ticket and not attending a funeral is better than not attending a funeral. :p

Back on topic, what did the ticket say exactly and what sections did they put down?

zulutango 10-11-2014 01:31 PM

What I find interesting is that you already got caught once and got a VT, yet chose to risk everything again by not following the restrictions.
If you are violating your restrictions, you do not have a valid DL and that is an "out" for your insurance policy. Read the back of your registration...point #3 in the red box. Something very few people ever consider about overloading. I tell all my students of the possiblly devistating consequences of having no insurance coverage in a bad crash, because they chose to violate the restrictions. Your buddies lack of planning does not make it your problem...it's theirs. If you must transport, take 1 at a time ...or find someone who is sober & +25 with a valid DL to ride shotgun.

T4RAWR 10-11-2014 01:31 PM

What is the actual wording on the VT and what are the section numbers listed

sho_bc 10-12-2014 08:22 AM

He's passed over the question 3 times already, do you think a 4th is going to make him answer? :sleepingzz:

T4RAWR 10-12-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 8542439)
He's passed over the question 3 times already, do you think a 4th is going to make him answer? :sleepingzz:

was worth a shot :badpokerface:

zulutango 10-12-2014 10:58 AM

Well...it is a rainy Sunday afternoon, i have nothing better to do and I don't have a life.......so....what was the actual wording and charge sections? Now pass the butter & salt for the popcorn. :accepted:

sho_bc 10-12-2014 10:59 AM

Its been my experience that a question so simple that is passed over this many times means there is more to the story than has been told by the OP

Nicotine 10-12-2014 12:41 PM

No, although you guys have nothing better to do i have a life outside this forum, i hadnt had the chance to get the info for you.

(will hunt for infractions when i find my papers)

And just for the record and to stay on point, this thread was NEVER about what i could have or should have done to avoid the ticket. Or peoples opinions on what happened that day, its about me having the same infraction twice on a single ticket. All your opinions on legality and how im an idiot are irrelivant, to protect the people i love i got a ticket and im happy to deal with it.

So if your not showing up in a delorean to take me back, stick to the question

sho_bc 10-12-2014 12:45 PM

Those are the ticket numbers, not the charge sections/wording.