REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Otto, the car that literally traveled the world

A story that was posted on Gizmodo caught my eye. It's about how a man traveled with his wife for 26years throughout the world (177 countries over a 884,000KM journey) with his Benz G class.

Then someone posted the article from BBC detailing the couple's journey. It gave my both goosebumps and tears about a person's determination and most importantly passion about his car.

The BBC article is a bit long, but worth EVERY second you'd spend reading. A must read IMHO for any car/travel enthusiast.

Quote:
Gunther Holtorf spent the last 26 years on a road trip around the globe with Christine, a total stranger who met him in Africa after he published ad asking for a companion in a German magazine. His journey includes 177 countries, 549,000 miles (884,000 kilometers) and loads of pictures taken from his old Leica.

According to Deusche Welle, he started his trip in 1989 with his wife and Otto, the name he gave to his Mercedes G Wagon. After some months in Africa, his wife decided to leave him and return home. Gunther placed an ad in the personals section of German weekly Die Zeit. Christine, a 34-year-old from Dresden, replied and joined him on his trip.

What's going to be a short trip turned then into a 26-year long trip around the world. Four years ago, Christine passed away after battling cancer. Just months before dying, they finally married. She asked him to continue the trip in her memory, which he did for four more years. Now, Gunther has returned to Berlin after the trip of a lifetime.
The article on BBC
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I read through the whole article. Epic trip.

But I can see how he was on his 5th wife by the end of the trip.
I'd think my marriage would last one year the way he travelled. Ok, maybe one month.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
In fairness, his third wife left him basically at the beginning of his travels. His fourth wife died of cancer after years of travelling with him. His fifth wife is still with him.

So really, during his travels, he didn't actually have any wives leave him.

This story has been around for a long time (obviously, since he has been travelling for so long). An independent photographer did a nice Youtube short that I saw last year that I thought was great:

Old 10-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
5 wives? wth i thought he had 1 wife and did all the travelling with her
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
IMO it really takes some amazing amount of determination to do the journey they did.

They basically stick with the absolute minimum in term of comfort. I can understand why wife would leave him. A journey like this requires a lot of passion, without it, you get tired within a month or two.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
What a story. Speaks volumes of the G Wagon and it's build quality. It's so sad that todays cars will never live up to this..

Incredible.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
VLS Head Mod

Wow incredible article, gave me something to read on my hour commute
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote