REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 10-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Parking in Townhouse Complexes

This is probably the right spot for this question...

So I live in a townhouse complex in Surrey, and I'm currently on the strata board. Some individuals in our complex are complaining about their neighbours either:

1. Parking in visitor parking spots
2. Parking in front of their garage, which blocks the complex street partially
3. Parking in front of OTHER people's houses (blocking in their neighbours)

I want to deal with this on a case-by-case basis, rather than start limiting households to # of visitors they can have (by implementing visitor tags) or hiring a private towing company to lurk our complex.

My question is, can I legally call a tow truck company to tow in any of the three cases above? Number 1 and 2 are pretty harmless, so it would probably end in people disputing their towing fees, but number 3 is a pretty serious one. One women got blocked in her garage when she needed to take her kid to the hospital.

Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
That's the problem with these townhouse developments..the single door double garage units can barely fit a small sedan so you have a family with three vehicles and you're hooped.

We've built about 400 units in the last 5 years in 6-7 different developments and this is always an issue. I've never seen a strata really standardize a rule on it before we've left the site for good.

I'd say case three is tow worthy for sure
Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Is this guy your neighbour?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
private modder

Thanked 2,606 Times in 732 Posts
From what I've seen, the only sure way to enforce visitor parking regulations is the use of visitor permits displayed in the window. Also don't forget to put a time limit on the visitor parking -- usually 24 hours is the standard.

My personal opinion is I wouldn't hire a tow company to lurk. It leaves the choice of towing in the tow company's hands and they might have trigger fingers. The last thing you ever want to do is tow because you know it's going to make someone very upset with you (even if they were at fault). I once towed a guy who parked in my space at a downtown parkade (it was clearly marked reserved) and the tow company gave him my name. I got harassment calls and threats for about a week straight afterwards. lol

With respect to number two, seems pretty easy to enforce. If a resident blocks the lane with his car, knock on the door, speak to the resident and give a written warning. If it happens again, you could tow. Usually it's a safety issue because you're blocking a fire lane.

For number 3, if a resident complains a car is blocking a driveway, that should be an easy reason to tow. No excuse for someone to block someone else's driveway. But once again, I'd knock on the doors of the houses that are right there to see if the driver can move the car before you tow it.

You'll need to make sure all of this is clearly outlined in your strata rules and regs before you can start enforcing it.

Also here's an article that might of use: Strata can take action against parking poachers | Vancouver 24 hrs

Good luck
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That's the problem with these townhouse developments..the single door double garage units can barely fit a small sedan so you have a family with three vehicles and you're hooped.

We've built about 400 units in the last 5 years in 6-7 different developments and this is always an issue. I've never seen a strata really standardize a rule on it before we've left the site for good.

Agreed, but this isn't the case necessarily in my complex. We all have side by sides or tandem garages that can fit two cars. Some residents are just being stubborn by parking one car in their garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
From what I've seen, the only sure way to enforce visitor parking regulations is the use of visitor permits displayed in the window. Also don't forget to put a time limit on the visitor parking -- usually 24 hours is the standard.

My personal opinion is I wouldn't hire a tow company to lurk. It leaves the choice of towing in the tow company's hands and they might have trigger fingers. The last thing you ever want to do is tow because you know it's going to make someone very upset with you (even if they were at fault). I once towed a guy who parked in my space at a downtown parkade (it was clearly marked reserved) and the tow company gave him my name. I got harassment calls and threats for about a week straight afterwards. lol

With respect to number two, seems pretty easy to enforce. If a resident blocks the lane with his car, knock on the door, speak to the resident and give a written warning. If it happens again, you could tow. Usually it's a safety issue because you're blocking a fire lane.

For number 3, if a resident complains a car is blocking a driveway, that should be an easy reason to tow. No excuse for someone to block someone else's driveway. But once again, I'd knock on the doors of the houses that are right there to see if the driver can move the car before you tow it.

You'll need to make sure all of this is clearly outlined in your strata rules and regs before you can start enforcing it.

Also here's an article that might of use: Strata can take action against parking poachers | Vancouver 24 hrs

Good luck

It sounds like the parking pass / time limit is the more passive way to enforce this. Our strata management company doesn't like giving the power to tow to residents. I believe a voting system for council members only would be fair (assuming they aren't the ones complaining). If 3 warnings are given to a unit, by the fourth time we will tow without warning.

I am heavily against a private towing company coming into my complex, I have heard too many stories where people get towed for no reason and the strata has no power over the fees. It's a one way ticket to start pissing everyone off.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Yup. I'm looking at some plans for a townhouse development coming up. 170 Units, mixture of single door and standard double garages. 30 Visitor spots. Pretty much 1 visitor spot per 6 units. In most cases theres only 1 spot remotely close to a block of units. Imagine hosting a family/friends dinner at your place.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #7

Side bar: where can I get the plans to my townhouse that would show plumbing / electrical schematics?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Visitor parking permit is the best way I think. Every household gets 1 to 2 (depending on much much parking space you have. And max they can park is 24hour.

Also if someone parks in front of another person garage that blocks the road give them a written warning, if it happens again time to tow.

I say for this one it gets tow right away. If you park in a such a way that block entrance to my garage I am sure hell going to call the towing company. What if I have to leave for work or have a meeting and this asshole park in front of my house preventing me to leave. I am not going to sit around and wait or knock on every door and ask nicely. They know the risk when they park so boo ho too bad so sad.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post

Our strata management company doesn't like giving the power to tow to residents. I believe a voting system for council members only would be fair (assuming they aren't the ones complaining). If 3 warnings are given to a unit, by the fourth time we will tow without warning.
Sorry but Parking in front of OTHER people's houses (blocking in their neighbours) is a tow right away. I don't care what's the reason is. How would you feel if someone park in front of your house thus blocking your way? What if the person being blocked needs to get to work, interview, his parents are dying in the hospital, have meetings...... why should they suffer for someone doing something stupid. Sorry but if someone did that to me I am going to call the tow truck company.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote