REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 10-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

SQ decks & processors..

Just wondering what's good nowadays for in dash CD players? back in the days there were the Alpine 7909, 7990, 9990, Nak 700, Denon Z-1, Mcintosh etc. I'm thinking of upgrading my system a little.. something like the Clarion HX-D3, or a good DSP unit just to do the 3-way x-over & 1/3 octave EQ and remote volume task etc.. but SQ has to be up there.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
lobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
RS Licensed Vendor

Not too many out there anymore. Not much market for it considering so many of the new stereo's are integrated with the car and "lossy" digital media is such a popular thing now. Nowadays alot of the new receivers have lossless digital media playback.

Only "SQ" decks still available that i'm aware of:
Clarion HX-D3
Pioneer DEX-P99PRS

Processors are kind of the new trend nowadays. Allows you to keep your oem headunit (or aftermarket) and fine tune the sound. You can easily take a processor and make OEM speakers sound WAY better, with aftermarket speaker it can sound even more amazing.

Audison makes a series of amazing processors (and amped processors), along with Mosconi. Those are the only two I really like. There's quite a few others on the market nowadays.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

We have a Pioneer DEX-P99RS in stock.
Would you like to see why it's the cat's ass?

Keith McCumber
SoundsGood Auto Services
Everything we do is sound!

104-2700 Barnet Hwy Coquitlam 604-961-8626

1420 Boundary Rd. Burnaby, 604-676-8100

www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday 9:00 to 6:00

Authorized dealers of: Focal, Audison, Alpine, JL, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Thinkware, Compustar, K40...

WE ACCEPT: ICBC Claims, VISA, MC, DEBIT, PAYPAL AND CASH.
installerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
Nowadays alot of the new receivers have lossless digital media playback.

Only "SQ" decks still available that i'm aware of:
Clarion HX-D3
Pioneer DEX-P99PRS

Processors are kind of the new trend nowadays. Allows you to keep your oem headunit (or aftermarket) and fine tune the sound. You can easily take a processor and make OEM speakers sound WAY better, with aftermarket speaker it can sound even more amazing.

Audison makes a series of amazing processors (and amped processors), along with Mosconi. Those are the only two I really like. There's quite a few others on the market nowadays.
yea, that’s what I figure.. I do use bluetooth with WAV / FLAC files and they could sound pretty good on a certain devices. I have briefly checked the specs on the Pioneer P99PRS, and looks to be not too bad overall, especially on the x-over/eq adjustability.. vs the Clarion. Just wondering which model of Audison is a straight DSP with digital input? I see there's a bit-1 & bit-10.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by installerz View Post
We have a Pioneer DEX-P99RS in stock.
Would you like to see why it's the cat's ass?
Sure.. do you have one on display? or maybe a video sound clip on it would be great.

Last edited by lobird; 10-19-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
The problem with the Clarion is that it needs a special box for Bluetooth and Ipod. Otherwise it only plays CD's and radio.

The PRS-99 is pretty much the cat's meow for an all-in-one deck/processor. I would love to have one in my car!

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobird View Post
yea, that’s what I figure.. I do use bluetooth with WAV / FLAC files and they could sound pretty good on a certain devices. I have briefly checked the specs on the Pioneer P99PRS, and looks to be not too bad overall, especially on the x-over/eq adjustability.. vs the Clarion. Just wondering which model of Audison is a straight DSP with digital input? I see there's a bit-1 & bit-10.
Both Bit Ten + Bit One have digital inputs. I'm assuming you're thinking of going digital from one of the previously mentioned headunits?

Certain audison amps will take straight digital in from the Bit processors also, so almost guaranteed no "noise" issues.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Both Bit Ten + Bit One have digital inputs. I'm assuming you're thinking of going digital from one of the previously mentioned headunits?
Yes.. it has a 75 ohm coax out not tos-link. After looking at the Audison installation manual.. it doesn't seems to have the adjustability like the Pioneer deck has. As I need a 3-way x-over for my system's front end + sub, with 1/3 octave eq, and be able to adjust L/R separately. only if Pioneer makes the DSP available separately would be great.

Last edited by lobird; 10-21-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
RS Licensed Vendor

The Processors should definitely give you more adjustabilty over the Headunit.

You can run a 3-way + sub, adjust L+R seperately and 1/3 octave EQ with Bit One. If you want even more adjustments I would recommend the Mosconi 6to8. It's about the same money as the Bit One. It would let you stack different xovers filters (butterworth/linkwitz/etc), parametric EQ, etc.

You can download the software first and run it on demo mode to play with the software. If you can't find it e-mail us and I can send it to you also.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com

Last edited by Cman333; 10-21-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:

You can run a 3-way + sub, adjust L+R seperately and 1/3 octave EQ with Bit One. If you want even more adjustments I would recommend the Mosconi 6to8. It's about the same money as the Bit One. It would let you stack different xovers filters (butterworth/linkwitz/etc), parametric EQ, etc.
I like the .02ms time delay's increments on the Masconi 6to8, and the Linkwitz options for the x-over.. also you could adjust the settings with a smart phone is a big plus! just wondering how it sounds comparing to the Bit-1 or the Pioneers P99RS?

Last edited by lobird; 10-22-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
RS Licensed Vendor

I've done both. The Bit One offers incredible value for what it can do and does do a little more than what a 99PRS can do.

The 6to8 is a better "SQ" piece but all the additional options are extra. So a fully loaded 6to8 can easily cost $2k+. The digital input/Bluetooth/BT streaming/etc are all additional.

I've done alot of both. Both can immensely enhance the sound of any vehicle. The 6to8 is a more technical and can go a little further. Personally I don't think there's any other proccessor that's better on the market at the moment.

The new version Bit One will give the 6to8 a run for it's money but If I recall it won't be out until late 2015 or something.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Old 10-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
The 6to8 is a better "SQ" piece but all the additional options are extra. So a fully loaded 6to8 can easily cost $2k+. The digital input/Bluetooth/BT streaming/etc are all additional.
Thanks for the infos so far. So, what does the base Masconi 6to8 unit comes with? does it include the remote?

Last edited by lobird; 10-22-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #13

I've found some pricing on line for the Mosconi's digital input/Bluetooth options.. I guess I should wait for the new Bit-1 and go from there. Thanks all for the help.