REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 10-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Goodyear Nordics or Bridgestone Blizzak?

Tried searching around, however, did not come up with much. Looking to purchase winter tires this year but on a budget. It has come down to the Canadian Tire Nordics @ a price of $1083 after taxes and install and everything or Costco Blizzaks @ $1100 after taxes and install and membership (both getting steelies with them). I heard the blizzaks first 50% of that "special" grippy rubber wears quickly away and the last 50% is kind of bad I guess? But heard nordics are kind of bad in general as they are made cheaply and the rubber becomes bad after a season or two. Fuel economy is also bad. But I am unsure in the end on which one to get. Want something hopefully that will last a few seasons.

This is for a 2013 Rav4 LE AWD.

Or maybe any sponsors here who has a similar deal? Looking for 225/65R 17 winter tires on 5x114? steel rims.
Advertisement
shumstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
I am Hook'd on RS

Have you thought about going into 16" tires ? Theres a much larger selection of tires in 16. 215/70r16 or 225/65r16 both sizes work. IMO its better to spend a little more on a better tire that can last an extra season or two.
mlum6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Only 10 dollar difference. Same options from CT :/
Old 10-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

email me.
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I bought blizzaks 2 winters ago... When they were new they gripped good, but as a snow tire still handled shittier than my offroad tires that I use for the rest of the year. I only use them for about 3 months per season. I think I paid about $600 in the states at discount tire.

I found that they wear down pretty fast.
However I have heard that they are awesome in real snow... which we don't quite get in Vancouver :/

I had one of my offroad tires slashed a couple of weeks ago, so I switched into my snow tires temporarily until I get a replacement. So I put the more worn out pair in the front until I actually use them for snow this season. Sure does slip a bit in the wet when doing tight turns and accelerating from a stop. I am not driving it hard at all, but I am kind of disappointed at how much it's slipping. My tread is probably 50% in the front pair and more in the back.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Haha sounds like no one is favouring the Nordics so far.