REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources

Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources All Toyota & Lexus Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 10-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

2012 lexus ct200h

anyone drive or know someone that does?

I'm currently looking into selling my g35 and getting one. Main reason is the g35 operating costs are just too high and its getting a little old, (gas, insurance, practicality)

i know the ct200h is not as fun to drive, slow etc, but for me now thats not my main concern.

just want to get an opinion on this car in terms of reliability and maintenance costs.

also looking at 2014 impreza hatch back sport and also 2014 mazda 3.

thanks for any advice!
Advertisement

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
I've driven both new 2014 & 15 Mazda 3 Sport GT 6speed with luxury package as well as the Lexus CT200h, I like them both! Great cars with enough space for anything. Gas will be fairly cheap for either vehicle and both are very practical.
That's all the info I have for now as I'm still car shopping.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I had a 2012 CT200h before I traded her in. Yes it is slow but and it is fine in the city (in Sport mode). That little engine has to work hard accelerating, especially merging on the highway.

My opinion:

Pros:
-very low running cost ($30-$35 for full tank and you get roughly 600km. I drove mainly on highways so you will get better gas mileage driving in the city if you are not lead footed). I averaged 5 L/100km.
Brakes pads last a long time. Most of braking is done by regenerative braking. Other than regular oil change and fuel ups, you are not spending a lot of money on maintenance.
-Great handling car. If you can ignore the acceleration and the CVT, it's a fun car to drive
-Lexus quality and proven reliability
-Great looking car. Especially 2014 and up F-Sport
-Hatchback is practical
-Quiet ride (when it is on EV or when you are cruising)
-Mostly on EV mode during stop and go traffic

Cons
-Slow acceleration
-Engine noise during acceleration (very unLexus like)
-Economy car like interior, especially the rear passenger compartment, oh and no cup holders in the back
-Limited space, especially back seats and trunk.
-Choppy ride quality
-I could never find a comfortable seating position. It might just be me. I had an IS prior that car and never had that issue.
-Expensive for what it is, especially if you are buying it new. A lot of other options available if you want to go with the economy road. Newer fully loaded Camry hybrid or used ES350h. It will give you similar EPAs but with more power.

If you do decide get one, I recommend getting a used one with tech package.

Good luck.

PS: I didn't read your original date when this post was made so this information will be useful for other potential buyers.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:48 AM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

my brother has a 2012 with the fsport package. He's left it with me for weeks on end, so although I don't own one, i am well versed with the CT.

Everything Hardboiler says is correct. I'd also like to add that although the CT is great mileage wise in the city, the cvt transmission makes it horrible on the highway from what I've experienced. It revs much higher therefore the fuel consumption is a bit worse.

Also like to add, for me, the interior also feels quite cheap and the finish is not that of a typical Lexus, so for me the overall package is a deal breaker. I do like the styling overall though. If they mated the CT with the 2.5 or sledge hammered in the 3.5L engines, I'd easily overlook its shortcomings and buy one.
bokch0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

CT200H is great on gas, but the suspension is not that comfortable on the highway. The 2012 model's navigation and infotainment system is also difficult to use (not touch screen).
cl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I found the ct200h the trunk is pretty small for a hatch. It's understandable considering the batteries do take up a bit of room.

Imo, a Mazda 3 might be a tree choice. Overall cost is lower and the economy is pretty good as long as you aren't hard on the throttle. With less to worry about (comparing to a hybrid drivetrain) running cost would be lower as well.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

True - Mazda 3 is a good choice, but if you can get a good deal on a used CT, it's worth it for the luxury, reliability, and better fuel economy. Wouldn't recommend buying a CT new though.
cl811 is offline   Reply With Quote