REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 10-31-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Issues with tenant (two brothers)

i've got two brothers renting my house out right now since April 2014, both have signed the lease.....i've always delt with the younger brother who seems like a stand up guy

one has turned out to be a bit of a gong show...there's been some issues in the past (bounced checks etc) cops called once (on the older brother, domestic issue with baby mama)

i just got told the cops where at my house yesterday (fyi i've been travelling and am currently living in Australia) and to deal with the older brother....i'm not going into detail

he apparently will no longer be living at the house and the younger brother won't be able to cover the rent....he thinks he's just going to be able to walk away but obviously that's not the case

he's informed my dad, who's taking care of things for me, that the payment for november will go through

i know he's liable for the remaining months (Dec-March).....my dad likes this guy (so do i he keeps the house spotless) and has recommended i reduce the rent to a point he can pay but i obviously still need my mortgage covered....i've told my dad to tell him to try to find another roommate so we'll see how that goes

i've got enough lawyers in my family to tie this guy up in court and get any owned money from him but i don't want to ruin this kids life over something unfortunate like his brother

any thoughts or recommendations....obvisouly this would be alot easier if i was home but i'm trying to deal with this the easiest way possible from the other side of the world

thanks
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
I 100% agree that you have every right to sue these brothers' a$$es all the way to the end of your rental contract, but just because you have that legal right doesn't mean you should.

If I were in your shoes, I would try to find something that would make it work for the younger brother. Have him find a roomie is a viable option, as is reducing his rent a bit, but not to the point where you are losing money (from the mortgage payment).

IMO, the best option is to ask the younger bro to leave and find another place for himself. In the mean time, you (or your old man) would find another tenant to take over asap. And then all the 2 brothers would be responsible for is the amount of uncollected rent between when they moved out, and when your new tenant moves in.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
give the young brother two months of reduced rent to find a new roomie with the condition that he pay you back something extra starting in the 3rd month to cover the losses from months 1 n 2.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
i know he's liable for the remaining months (Dec-March).....my dad likes this guy (so do i he keeps the house spotless) and has recommended i reduce the rent to a point he can pay but i obviously still need my mortgage covered....i've told my dad to tell him to try to find another roommate so we'll see how that goes

i've got enough lawyers in my family to tie this guy up in court and get any owned money from him but i don't want to ruin this kids life over something unfortunate like his brother
If you have lawyers in the family, they will probably remind you that although you have a lease, the tenant is not automatically liable for the rent for December to March. What the tenant IS liable for, is any lost rent while you make a reasonable effort to rent the unit out.

In other words, if he tells you he can pay November but not December onwards, and you are able to rent it out for the same money starting December 1st, he doesn't owe you a cent.

If he moved out December 1 but you couldn't rent it until January 1, he would be liable for one month which is the lost rental revenue. However, you have to demonstrate that you made a good effort to rent it - some people are under the impression that they can just not do anything, and then sue for the lost rent since it's less work than finding a tenant, but this is not accurate.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Old 10-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
To add, even if you sued him and won, you'd still have to collect, which could take awhile.

IMO, your best course of action would be to continue to rent to him, at a reduced rate, until you can find new tenants.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Toss him out and find a new tenant.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #7

guys thanks i agree with everything you've all said...except you Manic

i've emailed him and have told him that we need to have a discussion but to take some time to deal with the family matter and get his head straight again...
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
guys thanks i agree with everything you've all said...except you Manic
lol

Good luck, OP. Hope the outcome is a win/win.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #9

ok well thought i'd come back here for more help....the damage to my house, windows and doors still hasn't been repaired although i was told it was going to be done last week (great time of the year i know)

at this point enough is enough, i'm kicking this fucker out and coming home

1) what's the best way to let him know i'm kicking him out? i know i have to give notice prior to the beginning of the new month and he has that month as long as he pays (ie notice prior to dec 1, move out by end of dec). but with a tons of emails and no communication back, as well as the repairs not being done is there anyways i can kick hi m out sooner? i know with late rent you can give 10 days (which i'll probably end up doing anyways since his dec payment will bounce...happened before)

any other help or info you guys could provide would be great

thanks
Old 11-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i'm no expert but i've read up on this topic.

IMO the non-payment process is the best bet on booting someone out. everything else is subjective and requires lots of evidence/documentation. non-payment is black and white.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
What the heck changed in the last couple weeks? It sounded like they were taking good care of the house before.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What the heck changed in the last couple weeks? It sounded like they were taking good care of the house before.
Yeah, I thought the douche brother left and it was just a matter of if the decent one could afford to live there.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #13

my guess is OP's family did a walk-through and found some skeletons in the tenant's closet with a bunch of damage to the home.

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 11-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #14

no interior is still mint....but two broken exterior doors and a smashed window from two weeks ago have yet to be replaced.....i've also heard from the guys now former employer that he's moved to kelowna......it's more a total lack of communication and not knowing if the repairs are getting done
Old 11-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #15

sounds like you don't have to kick him out. already skipped town and he did the old

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 11-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #16

well more info....my dad stopped by the house and went in, the older brother was there and they talked about the repairs (supposed to be done in the next day or so). all their shit is still there

my dad was also able to get a hold of the younger brother who backed up the same story with the same details.....i didn't ask how long after he spoke to him. the brother could have phoned the younger one and told him my dad stopped by but who the fuck knows......

i want them to stay (as stupid as that sounds) only because i don't want to come home yet and ruin my the rest of my trip....
Old 11-26-2014, 02:41 AM   #17

well enough is enough, i'm kicking them out and coming home mid dec...flights booked

i've been reading up on the tenancy website and this is my plan

- email him telling him i'm kicking him out (including the 1 month notice form) I'm going to have my dad put a copy in the mailbox by Nov 27 so it's still technically received prior to dec 1 (3 day allowance for not personally handing it to him per the website, email is not a sufficient delivery method)
- i'm telling him i'm pulling his checks at the bank and he has to send me an interact trasnfer for the dec rent on the 1st (he's had three checks bounce already).....this way if he doesn't i have the 10 day eviction notice ready to go to get him out earlier

thoughts?? all seem legit on my part?? anything else i can do?

what costs/losses will i be able to go after? rent for december, any subsequent months? no right because i'm kicking him out?

thanks
Old 11-26-2014, 10:45 PM   #18
2 Wheelin' Mod

If i remember correctly isn't the tenant supposed to get 1 month free rent if you kick him out before the end of the contract.
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #19

i didn't see that anywhere in all the pages i read
Old 11-26-2014, 11:09 PM   #20
2 Wheelin' Mod

My bad that's only for 2 month eviction notices. I read your post wrong
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #21

ya this is more of a he fucked up eviction....i was aware of the 2 month landlord ends for his own reason
Old 12-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #22

anyone have any experience with holding back damage deposits (and a subsequent claim to the tenancy board?)

want to know what reasonable "wear and tear" is, if i can hold money for neglected yard maintenance, repairs done with inferior/different products etc
Old 12-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #23

this seems applicable to you...

BC Landlord and Tenant Resources - Damage Deposit

Quote:
Unless the Landlord has the tenant's written consent to keep all or part of a deposit or has an outstanding dispute resolution officer's order that can be applied against the deposit, the Landlord must return the deposit plus interest within 15 days after the tenancy ends, or apply for dispute resolution with the Residential Tenancy Branch to make a claim against the deposit. The 15 day period commences when the tenancy ends or the Tenant provides a forwarding address in writing, whichever is later.
Quote:
If a tenant does not provide the landlord a forwarding address, in writing, within one year after the end of the tenancy, the landlord may keep the security deposit and/or the pet deposit.
unless they dug up and destroyed a plumbing pipe i don't see any luck on claiming yard maintenance. not sure about sub-par material...but i think if it wasn't repaired to BC building code you would have a case. if they broke a door handle and replaced it with an ikea one, i think it's hard to prove your case unless you have receipts?

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 12-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #24

ya i'm up on all that....stupid fucking rule about interest though

i spoke to someone at the tenancy branch (left my number and got called back by a guy with a US number??), he pretty much said to tell the tenant what i want to hold back, if he agrees great get it in writing as per the rules (this will never happen), if he doesn't agree then take it to arbitration at which point i will provide all my documentation (pictures, back up for material costs, labour costs etc)

i could bury him in back up, it's all going to come down to what the arbitrator will consider acceptable
Old 05-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #25
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

What's the status now?
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote