REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Lunch food containers (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699503-lunch-food-containers.html)

Armind 11-08-2014 10:08 PM

Lunch food containers

What do you guys use?

I just got a new bag for work and don't want to risk any spillage in my bag..

Need something secure, but not sure which brand is reliable. Containers gotta be decently slim also to fit my bag..

Gucci Mane 11-08-2014 11:57 PM

depends on what you're taking. for solids it shouldnt really matter what you're using. as for liquids, i find that these snap lock containers work quite well.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.u...ize/hpl805.jpg

also, if you're a stoner and trying to hide your stash, these things are air tight. work so mint and can keep them anywhere. walmart sells them in all different sizes.

ae101 11-09-2014 06:46 AM

tubware (or how every u spell it), those are air tight as well but a little steep unlike most other brands

rubbermate, i also have their.boxes & pretty useful

i would not recommend ziploc for liquids as they are quite bad for them

tiger_handheld 11-09-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight_KB (Post 8554383)
depends on what you're taking. for solids it shouldnt really matter what you're using. as for liquids, i find that these snap lock containers work quite well.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.u...ize/hpl805.jpg

also, if you're a stoner and trying to hide your stash, these things are air tight. work so mint and can keep them anywhere. walmart sells them in all different sizes.

+1 for these. don't buy the dollar store version. spend the extra 2-3$ and go with walmart version.

SkinnyPupp 11-09-2014 08:41 AM

Lock lids are great but a pain in the ass to wash, since the plastic somehow grabs onto oil... I like the glass versions better but they are quite heavy (if you care)

DragonChi 11-09-2014 08:51 AM

I bought the glass versions and they will leak liquid. However, not much, so I just put it in a plastic bag and it'll survive until I eat it.

nabs 11-09-2014 09:02 AM

Lock lock containers are the shit! But just incase use those grocery bags and just put the container in there for extra protection.

Mr.HappySilp 11-09-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8554418)
Lock lids are great but a pain in the ass to wash, since the plastic somehow grabs onto oil... I like the glass versions better but they are quite heavy (if you care)

+1 I use the glass version too since I always put my food in the microwave and glass seems to be safer.

Klondike 11-09-2014 10:31 AM

If I get chinese takeout that comes in a bowl with a lid, I'll wash and save the bowl so I can take something for lunch and not have to worry about bringing it back.

For locking containers, I use the plastic ones. Glass ones I use at home since they're heavier.

If you're worried about spillage, line your bag with a plastic bag, or put your lunch in the plastic bag then in your lunch bag.

CorneringArtist 11-09-2014 10:34 AM

Well for liquids, a Thermos can't really be beat. But for solids, I use the red-lid Rubbermaid containers that lock into themselves for storage. Seal really tight if something gets runny, but hold more than enough to not shill you out of food.

TOS'd 11-09-2014 10:48 AM

+1 on locking glass containers

Been using one from the brand GlassLock. Air tight locking. I put soup in it as well, and I have the container sideways in my messenger bag, or else it makes the bag too thick, but it has never spilled or leaked out on me. For the first while I put the container in a large ziplock bag in case it leaked but it never did so I have removed that step.

GLOW 11-09-2014 11:25 AM

costco glass lock set or the plastic cheapo ones for lunch/fridge etc

clean chinese take-out plastic containers for friends to take food home when i have company over so they don't have to return them

Armind 11-09-2014 11:26 AM

Might consider Glass Lock then... Where can I find it?:concentrate:

TOS'd 11-09-2014 11:30 AM

They can be found at CanTire for sure.

Armind 11-09-2014 11:47 AM

How thick is it when placed side ways? GlassLock the only reliable brand for glass?

TOS'd 11-09-2014 01:01 PM

The one I have is GlassLock, and its a very decent size for lunches. 7" (L) x 5" (W) x 3" (H).

DragonChi 11-09-2014 01:07 PM

Weird, I have the glasslock ones too. I got em from Canadian Tire on sale. I've seen them at Walmart too.

I commute to work by train and walk a lot. If you're in a car, there might not be as much sloshing around. Maybe that's the difference.

aznkev03 11-09-2014 01:25 PM

I use the glass lock ones, have a few different sizes. I just plastic wrap and then throw the lid on and lock, carried soup this way with no problems. This also keeps the lid clean! Poke holes in the plastic to microwave when I get to work.

TOS'd 11-09-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8554489)
Weird, I have the glasslock ones too. I got em from Canadian Tire on sale. I've seen them at Walmart too.

I commute to work by train and walk a lot. If you're in a car, there might not be as much sloshing around. Maybe that's the difference.

I drive, train and walk to work as well

DragonChi 11-09-2014 02:23 PM

:( I might just suck at packing lunches then. lol

TOS'd 11-09-2014 04:25 PM

:Petting

I usually push out all the air when i lock the last clip. And also make sure the rubber seal is free from any food debris when you are packing your lunch. Could result in a less than air tight seal.

6793026 11-10-2014 05:43 AM

those lock containers (but mine has to be glass) cause i microwave them.

Expresso 11-17-2014 12:28 PM

The Filson doesn't really accommodate lunch containers very well lol.

Armind 11-17-2014 12:34 PM

Fine for me with Glass Lock ones lol

Gnomes 11-17-2014 09:45 PM

Check out dollarama, I got a good set for $4 a couple of years ago. Use them 200 days/year for 3 years counting. Just make sure you dont microwave the lid with the container, the lid will last longer.