REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Well known animal abuser kills mother 2 years later.

Vancouver man who left German Shepherd to die in dumpster now charged in woman's murder
Quote:
“Brian, you know you think you hurt your mother. We just want you to come out and talk about it.”

It was that plea by a police negotiator who identified himself over a megaphone as Eric that stuck in the mind of Barrie Urquhart, a resident of Vancouver’s Dunbar neighbourhood.

Urquhart recalled Sunday afternoon the details of an eight-hour police standoff that began late Saturday a block from his home and ended just before dawn with Brian Whitlock being taken into custody. Whitlock, 28, was charged later in the day with second-degree murder.

In the summer of 2012, Whitlock beat his two-year-old German Shepard, Captain, and left him for dead in a Kitsilano dumpster. Whitlock, then 26, got a 60-day jail sentence and a lifetime ban on owning animals after pleading guilty to animal cruelty in the high-profile case.

Police were called to the Dunbar home at 8:30 p.m. Saturday after a relative found a woman’s body, said Const. Brian Montague.

When police arrived at the scene, they found that a man had barricaded himself inside the two-storey home on a lot where a laneway house was under construction.

As many as 40 officers swept through nearby streets, yards and alleys, securing the area, say residents. Fire trucks and ambulances were stationed on surrounding blocks, and the operation was coordinated through a mobile command post that drove in and parked on the east side of Valdez Park.

“I’m not coming in,” Urquhart said Eric told the suspect before members of the Vancouver Police Department’s Emergency Response Team finally coaxed him from the home in the 3100-block of West 23rd Ave. “You’re going to be safe with me, Brian.”

Urquhart said Brian Whitlock lived in the house with his mother, which property records show is registered to a Barbara Whitlock. Urquhart, a general contractor, knew the man fairly well. He had given Whitlock a job in the past, and had known him as “one of the neighbourhood kids.”

Since that time, area residents said they regularly spotted him spending time in nearby Valdez Park, which is a popular spot among dog owners.

Residents spoke of feeling unsafe with Whitlock around — some because of the incident with his dog, and others, who knew him closely, because of a gradual and negative shift in his personality they said they saw over the decades they knew him.

Whitlock’s mental health was cited as a factor in the animal cruelty case. Medical records indicated he had been diagnosed with, and was being treated for, psychosis and schizophrenia during the year leading up to his sentencing.

Area resident Leah McIntyre said many of the negotiators’ requests were simple: they asked the man to turn down the music — he was listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They asked him to turn his porch lights on and off to let them know he was hearing them.

They also asked him to knock on his window, McIntyre said.

“He was responding with frantic thumping,” she said, adding that she could hear the banging from her house, about a block away.

It was not until shortly before 5 a.m. that the man finally left the home. He was shot with a non-lethal bullet because he was not compliant, Montague said. Police took the suspect into custody and they will be recommending murder charges to crown prosecutors, Montague said.

Investigators dressed in white plastic suits worked at the scene Sunday. The entire block where the standoff happened, and the alley behind the home, were draped in yellow police tape. At about noon, officials wheeled a stretcher that appeared to be carrying a body draped in fabric into a white van with black tinted windows.

“It’s safe to say we’ll be looking at whether or not mental health played a role in the homicide,” Montague said.

Police have not yet released the name of the victim.
The story was updated last I checked that it was whitlocks Mother. Now I've said it before, and I will say it again. Animal abuse needs to be taken much more seriously. Why wasn't he given proper psychiatric assessments after a violent crime against an animal? Why were such obvious signs of violent behaviour ignored. Its quite a fucked up situation, but the biggest example of an "I told you so" moment I've seen in years.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Vancouver man who left German Shepherd to die in dumpster now charged in woman's murder

The story was updated last I checked that it was whitlocks Mother. Now I've said it before, and I will say it again. Animal abuse needs to be taken much more seriously. Why wasn't he given proper psychiatric assessments after a violent crime against an animal? Why were such obvious signs of violent behaviour ignored. Its quite a fucked up situation, but the biggest example of an "I told you so" moment I've seen in years.
I think we need to to take human abuse more seriously first.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

Someone who tortures and kills a human will likely get a life sentence, 25 years without parole eligibility. Someone who tortures and kills an animal will likely get probation. I'd say one is a little more drastically below the line than the other, but I agree, Canada should be much tougher on violence of any kind. I think you are missing the point that this murder could have been avoided if the original crime was treated appropriately.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Someone who tortures and kills a human will likely get a life sentence, 25 years without parole eligibility. Someone who tortures and kills an animal will likely get probation. I'd say one is a little more drastically below the line than the other, but I agree, Canada should be much tougher on violence of any kind.
Someone punches or kicks a dog people go ape sh/t. Someone punches a human people yell worldstar.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

I fail to see how my interest in animal welfare correlates to a lack of interest in human welfare.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
I fail to see how my interest in animal welfare correlates to a lack of interest in human welfare.
Because a person abusing a human is more likely to kill a human then a person abusing an animal. So tax payers money is better spent on people abusing other people.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
I obviously shake my head at the news, and I have to say I don't know anything about the dog abuse this person has 2 years ago. But I am guessing from the above news report that at the time of the dog abuse, Brian Whitlock played the mental health / insanity card as part of his guilty plead. From various court cases that makes it into the news, it seems like the resulting penalty from the verdict is significantly lighter.

I agree that animal abuse / cruelty cases need to be followed / monitored more closely because they could very well be early indicators of something a lot more serious. Unfortunately, with the government budgets that we are working with, it doesn't look like there is enough to hire qualified people (social workers / counsellors in this case, perhaps?) to follow up.

In this particular case, I would also argue that more mental health support might have been able to prevent the tragic incident from happening. But again, our government has simply decided to not spend money on this kind of thing.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,127 Times in 134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Because a person abusing a human is more likely to kill a human then a person abusing an animal. So tax payers money is better spent on people abusing other people.
Although I am a dog lover/owner myself, I have to agree.
bicboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #9

That logic doesn't make sense. Tougher laws against animal abuse and focus on it doesn't mean there has to be less strict laws and attention for human on human violence.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
I would like to see data correlating animal abuse to a higher likelihood of human abuse. Not that I like to beat animals, but they have very different roles in different cultures, and the title seems to imply that there is a direct relationship
Old 11-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 01-23-2015 at 01:00 PM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
Human abuse is common... but animal abuse is typically the symptom of a serious mental health issue.

Not to mention that there's a lot of humans that deserve to get abused.
1. No one deserves to be abused.
2. Maybe human abuse seems more common because it's easier to report. Also the stuff we are legally allowed to do to animals would land us with serious jail time if we did it to a human.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I would like to see data correlating animal abuse to a higher likelihood of human abuse. Not that I like to beat animals, but they have very different roles in different cultures, and the title seems to imply that there is a direct relationship
In this instance, there was a direct relationship. The point I'm trying to make is, that if the original EXTREMELY violent act on an animal was taken more seriously, psychiatric assessments would have followed in a much more in depth manor. This individuals behaviour would have shown a pattern, and this MAY have been preventable. This person clearly needed to be medicated at the very least for their schizophrenia, and was clearly a candidate for full time institutionalization and supervision. The fact is this person was a danger to anybody and everybody and was left to just "see what happens."
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #14

This is only one link, and obviously there is tons of information out there, but its something worth reading.
Quote:
A number of studies have drawn links between the abuse of animals and violence against people. A 2001-2004 study by the Chicago Police Department "revealed a startling propensity for offenders charged with crimes against animals to commit other violent offenses toward human victims." Of those arrested for animal crimes, 65% had been arrested for battery against another person.[i]

Of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents.[ii] And of seven school shootings that took place across the country between 1997 and 2001, all involved boys who had previously committed acts of animal cruelty.
Animal Cruelty and Human Violence : The Humane Society of the United States
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Though on the extreme side, I dont know how many serial killers i've read about where it all started with them dismembering/torturing animals.. I agree that we need to treat animal cruelty much harsher and to follow up with these kind of incidents.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #16

Westopher according to this lady you are an animal abuser and should be in jail.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #17

Yes ok. You've made a very great point. What it is I'm not sure, but nice work nonetheless.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 11-12-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:16 AM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:

there is research and data to show the correlation. one of the top 3 traits of a psychopath is that

1. abuse of animal especially at a young age
2. Pyromaniac (like to set stuff on fire)
3. bed wetting that last way pass acceptable age

do all animal abuser end up as human abuser? of course not. but 99% of serial murderers, psychopaths (those that murder for psychological needs rather than heat of the moment) started their "career" by torturing or killing animals at a young age.

having said that. these so call psychopath accords for less than 10% of all murders committed. of course that only counting those that successfully kill someone and get recorded by the criminal justice system.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #19
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Here you go:

http://www.mspca.org/programs/cruelt...her-crimes.pdf

Childhood cruelty to animals and later aggression against people: a... - PubMed - NCBI

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publicatio...aspx?id=155684

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publicatio...aspx?ID=145693

It's been pretty well established

Also pick any sociopath/serial killer and they most likely abused animals when they were kids. I know for sure that was the case with the "screwdriver" kid in russia.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2014, 01:17 AM   #20
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
2. Pyromaniac (like to set stuff on fire)
whoa whoa whoa whoa...
who doesn't like to set shit on fire?

i mean, not shit like animals.

just.. you know, shit. people and stuff.

jk. sort of.

fire is pretty ok.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #21
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
[33] I have the benefit of several reports from professionals who have assessed the state of Mr. Whitlock's mental health. There is little doubt that he suffers from a mental disorder. There are numerous reports that his mental health has destabilized even further over the past year. He is now taking medication for his disorder. In a very comprehensive report, assessing his risk for future violence, Dr. Lohrasbe, who is a highly respected forensic psychiatrist who deals with violent offenders and has done for many dozens of years, has rated Mr. Whitlock's risk for future violence as relatively low if he attends to and deals with his mental disorder in a responsible and appropriate fashion. I accept that assessment.

[34] Dr. Riley, who also performed an assessment, was unable to conduct a risk assessment for various reasons, but did find on page 8 of his report that [as read in]:

It seems more likely than not that Mr. Whitlock has experienced psychotic symptoms in the past and particularly between June and August of 2012
https://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcpc/do...13bcpc153.html

looks like he was given multiple psychiatric assessments. also, i dont think his violent behavior was ignored, simply taken into context within the entirety of events.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
If you abuse a small helpless animal you clearly have mental issues.
Mental issues are often the causes of murders.

I can see the relation of how someone as a small child would abuse animals and continue the trend later on in life.
Incredibly sad to see this kind of thing happen. I'm curious what help he received after the whole dog in dumpster issue. Was he treated for anything?

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: