REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Running in the cold - Advice needed and winter running gear (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699570-running-cold-advice-needed-winter-running-gear.html)

EndLeSS8 11-12-2014 06:19 AM

Running in the cold - Advice needed and winter running gear

Hey guys, I started running about 6 months ago. It's been good, helped me get my terribad cardio into the best cardio of my life, and helped me slim down.

Anyhow, it's getting really cold, and this is my first season of running at winter time. I ran twice in November, and normally I run 3x a week. It's been too cold

What cold weather clothing do you guys recommend? What is a good fair price and a good place to buy it?

How do I keep from injuring my lungs from the cold and from not getting a headache?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

4444 11-12-2014 06:54 AM

amazon.com

running leggings, long sleeved top, hi vis vest, gloves, and a beanie hat. a waterproof jacket if it's raining - the rain is a bigger threat in the cold than the actual cold air

warm up properly, that'll prevent any injuries... you know the body is an amazing thing and can manage runs in the cold... it's not cold at all in vancouver, relative to what the human body can sustain

bcrdukes 11-12-2014 06:59 AM

I don't run, but I do cycle so the principles apply.

For me: Thermal gear that breathes, so hat/beanie, gloves, base layer, hi-vis vest, and proper bottoms for the weather. The hi-vis is big for me because with daylight savings, it gets dark fast and you want to be seen.

Like 4444 mentioned, I am a firm believer in warming up properly is crucial to a good run/ride, however some people don't believe in it so this is debatable. You lose most of your heat through your head so proper head wear is important and the warm up helps or at least prevents to some point a major headache and lungs from injury. I underestimated yesterday's weather when I went for a ride and holy Christ it was so cold.

I get all my gear online mostly from Outdoor Gear & Clothing | Run, Camp, Bike & More | Backcountry.com but Amazon also has great deals!

Edit: I should add that a good local shop for running gear is Pacific Multisport on E. 28th and Main in Vancouver. They don't carry a lot of stuff in store but if you know what you want, they will order it for you. They are at the very least knowledgeable when it comes to what gear works and what is a complete waste of money.

4444 11-12-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8555564)
I don't run, but I do cycle so the principles apply.

For me: Thermal gear that breathes, so hat/beanie, gloves, base layer, hi-vis vest, and proper bottoms for the weather. The hi-vis is big for me because with daylight savings, it gets dark fast and you want to be seen.

Like 4444 mentioned, I am a firm believer in warming up properly is crucial to a good run/ride, however some people don't believe in it so this is debatable. You lose most of your heat through your head so proper head wear is important and the warm up helps or at least prevents to some point a major headache and lungs from injury. I underestimated yesterday's weather when I went for a ride and holy Christ it was so cold.

I get all my gear online mostly from Outdoor Gear & Clothing | Run, Camp, Bike & More | Backcountry.com but Amazon also has great deals!

Edit: I should add that a good local shop for running gear is Pacific Multisport on E. 28th and Main in Vancouver. They don't carry a lot of stuff in store but if you know what you want, they will order it for you. They are at the very least knowledgeable when it comes to what gear works and what is a complete waste of money.

just for clarity, the head does not lose any more heat per square inch, all skin on the body loses heat at the same rate. i guess the fallacy comes from the amount of skin on the head

Sunfighter 11-13-2014 08:49 PM

I have run all but four days this year ... my minimum runs are 6km, my average daily run is 9km and my maximum this year was 55km (mistake).

I have a love/hate relationship with running in the winter. I don't have the self-discipline to run in the morning so I run in the evening/night. Running in the dark isn't a lot of run and running in the dark WHILE it is also raining really sucks.

Some genuine advice and personal experiences.

I cannot run in sweats no matter how cold it is. I hate them. They are heavy and they get heavier with rain and sweat.

I rock Nike Dri-Fit or Lululemon shorts ONLY... the lighter the better, regardless of weather. If it's cold and dry I use Nike calf-sleeves or if it's really cold I wear Nike Dri-Fit leggings under my shorts (I'm not "that guy" runner that wears them alone...). If it's super wet or raining I just suck it up and go without calf-sleeves or leggings because I find they just get wet and make my legs colder than they need to be.

In the winter I also alternate between 2-3 different pairs of shoes;

-dry-weather, light-weight Nike Lunarglide
-dry-weather, Nike Free (I hate running in Frees but it's healthy to alternate)
-wet-weather, water resistant/winter Nike Lunarglide
***as a note, do NOT use trail shoes for running on the street.

I also use Nike Dri-Fit gloves. I find my hands get the coldest and these are fantastic. I actually saw some bright orange Nike thermal Dri-Fit running gloves recently.

Last winter my GF bought me a Nike Flash running jacket ... it's definitely NOT a summer jacket because it retains a TON of heat but it does two things very effectively; a) you can be spotted from the moon and b) repels water.

The one I got is on the left ...

http://sportlockerdotcom.files.wordp...pg?w=594&h=396

I have been hit by cars FOUR times in the last 13 years ... anything I can do to make myself visible I will do. Was easily worth the $400.

Depending on the temperature I just layer up under the jacket ... normal Dri-Fit or Lululemon moisture wicking fabrics ONLY. The temptation to wear cotton always exists but even if it is cold you will sweat, the cotton will get wet and then the wet fabric gets cold and that is pressed against your skin. use moisture wicking fabrics only ... and if it's cold, just layer them. :)

I think that's all I do? And of course my iPod Shuffle loaded with sports Podcasts.

Sunfighter 11-13-2014 08:57 PM

Ohhhhh - I should add a couple of other things quickly.

Cross-Walks/Four Way Stops - I don't give a fuck if they are lit, if you are wearing neon lights and have ALL the right in the world to cross ... ASSUME every single car is PLANNING to hit you.... I actually find Cross-Walks/Four Way Stops are actually the MOST dangerous place for me when I am out running. Drivers simply don't pay attention. Do everything to make yourself as visible as possible.

The other place that is SUPER dangerous is when you are running along a street and and there is an intersecting street in front of you. You will discover that cars traveling along that road that intend to turn right and travel towards you NEVER, EVER, EVER come to a full stop at their stop sign... they will look left (in the opposite direction of you) and then blast right onto the road... I have been hit twice by cars doing exactly this because they a) don't come to a full stop and b) don't look right for people that are at the stop sign waiting to cross. The same can be said for cars coming out of alleys, etc... they come out looking for traffic not people on the sidewalk.

bcrdukes 11-13-2014 09:02 PM

Holy fuck that is an awesome jacket. It's so hipster, I love it!

cctw 11-13-2014 09:04 PM

what are other high vis, light but heat retaining jackets?

Also what water resistant shoes are recommended?...I wear Asics and I don't think they keep water out at all...let alone keep my feet warm

Sunfighter 11-13-2014 09:07 PM

It's the best piece of running gear that I have ever owned. It's designed to trap heat but has vents to push out moisture.

The exterior fabric is like nothing I have ever seen/felt. It's like a glossy clear-coat applied to a matt reflective fabric? The clear-coat massively amplifies the reflect element. That photo above is NO exaggeration.

http://sportfits.com/wp-content/uplo...ket.jpg?d33b6f

Sunfighter 11-13-2014 09:12 PM

Winter shoes? Honestly - just shop around. Running Room has some really good staff and can order a lot of stuff ... Sport Chek has a good selection and sometimes some really good prices... you will find some stuff out there. I am a giant Nike fanboy going back to my "Nike Air" obsession in the 1980s. lol

nabs 11-13-2014 09:35 PM

Wow, great advices in this thread!

EndLeSS8 11-15-2014 04:28 PM

Just bought a Nike Shield Flash on eBay, size M for a good price :D

I went to the Sugoi sale yesterday too, got a pretty good wind jacket for a good price.

Finding white training pants has been MUCH harder than expected

Sunfighter 11-16-2014 11:47 AM

Great article about the above topic :

running layers that work from fall until spring - blog | lululemon athletica

Derek_N84 11-18-2014 09:39 PM

leggings, gloves, face moisturizer, chap stick and clothing that is reflective.

hud 91gt 11-19-2014 06:46 AM

I agree with the above. Your going to get wet. But I get wet exercising in the summer because i'm drenched in sweat. Moisture wicking layers, water resistant shoes and gloves will keep you sane. Don't cheap out on a water resistant jacket. It won't breath and you'll be more wet then if you went without one.

guurl 11-19-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunfighter (Post 8556220)
It's the best piece of running gear that I have ever owned. It's designed to trap heat but has vents to push out moisture.

The exterior fabric is like nothing I have ever seen/felt. It's like a glossy clear-coat applied to a matt reflective fabric? The clear-coat massively amplifies the reflect element. That photo above is NO exaggeration.

http://sportfits.com/wp-content/uplo...ket.jpg?d33b6f

omg that's such a nice jacket. i'd want my boo to wear that while running. :sweetjesus:
get on it guyssss

Mr.HappySilp 11-19-2014 05:58 PM

Yes get something very reflective.
Maybe even get one of these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111240307464?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITI order some since I take the skytrain to and from work. It gets really dark when I walk home (no street light) so having something reflective really helps.

Hot Karl 11-19-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunfighter (Post 8556213)
Ohhhhh - I should add a couple of other things quickly.

Cross-Walks/Four Way Stops - I don't give a fuck if they are lit, if you are wearing neon lights and have ALL the right in the world to cross ... ASSUME every single car is PLANNING to hit you.... I actually find Cross-Walks/Four Way Stops are actually the MOST dangerous place for me when I am out running. Drivers simply don't pay attention. Do everything to make yourself as visible as possible.

The other place that is SUPER dangerous is when you are running along a street and and there is an intersecting street in front of you. You will discover that cars traveling along that road that intend to turn right and travel towards you NEVER, EVER, EVER come to a full stop at their stop sign... they will look left (in the opposite direction of you) and then blast right onto the road... I have been hit twice by cars doing exactly this because they a) don't come to a full stop and b) don't look right for people that are at the stop sign waiting to cross. The same can be said for cars coming out of alleys, etc... they come out looking for traffic not people on the sidewalk.

maybe you need to pay better attention if you've been hit by cars 4 times. i know i would.

little children are taught not to run across the street when crossing. exactly why would it be a good idea for an adult to run across said street?

btw: being highly visible doesn't mean shit if you or the driver are reckless.

Sunfighter 11-19-2014 08:06 PM

Hmmm ... Thanks for contributing, I gueas. I made a sincere effort to add some value to an otherwise great thread. I don't appreciate snide remarks like yours.

Over the last 10 years I have run an average minimum of 5.2 KMs per day ... That's an extremely conservative number. That means I have run 18,980 KMs (excluding trails) since 2004.

If you choose to run, no matter how careful you might be, bad things can happen in the city or in rural areas ... Such as the time that I was running on the soft shoulder of a country road and was run down by a drunk driver who drifted off the road in complete daylight...... Short of growing wings there is nothing I could have done then and kissing fucking windsheild glass once is all you need to remind oneself to be careful as you are being tossed into a ditch.

Running is a risk and based on my experience I know each time I step outside to run I have a 1 in 913 chance of getting clipped. I don't do stupid things and I make myself as visible as possible and I felt bringing those risks to the group was a great way of encouraging people to make smart decisions with winter attire.

There are risks associated with running near public roads and I accept those risks because I believe the benefits exceed the negatives. I encourage everybody to run and discussing precautions is a smart idea.

azncreationz 11-20-2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cctw (Post 8556219)
what are other high vis, light but heat retaining jackets?

Also what water resistant shoes are recommended?...I wear Asics and I don't think they keep water out at all...let alone keep my feet warm

Check out the Ronhill stuff at Running Rom (it's only carried there). RR also makes a high vis jacket like Nike's, but from the people that have it, say it's good when only when it's really cold otherwise you heat up too much in it.
Asics now makes a Gore-Tex runner if you're looking for something waterproof. Personally, I wear wool socks to keep my feet warm.

GabAlmighty 11-20-2014 05:33 AM

Sleeveless, doesn't matter the time of year.

EndLeSS8 12-01-2014 11:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Nike Shield Flash

Regular light vs what cars would see at night

acrophobia 12-01-2014 08:40 PM

^That is a wild jacket! Running Room has something similar on sale, I would like to get one but the nearest RR is an hour away and I don't want to buy without trying on. Sale Apparel

I ran home today in -12 windchill with a t-shirt base layer, thick $5 fleece, mec wind jacket, tights, toque, mitts. No item cost me more than $50 and I was very comfortably warm. Don't feel like you need expensive gear to get out for run; make sure your feet are comfortable in good shoes and the rest is just gravy.

(I'm not hating on the jacket above, I think it is incredible and I kinda want one now! At night I'm using a reflective strap vest borrowed from my neighbour who wears it on the rigs, but I'm not cheap ;))

acrophobia 12-03-2014 06:00 PM

12 days of Christmas at asicsamerica.com, everyday a new deal. $25 thermopolis half zip today, marked down from $75

Edit: looks like you need an American credit card to order :(

CL typeS 12-09-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 (Post 8556738)
Just bought a Nike Shield Flash on eBay, size M for a good price :D

I went to the Sugoi sale yesterday too, got a pretty good wind jacket for a good price.

Finding white training pants has been MUCH harder than expected

How much you guys pay for the shield flash jacket? Just trying to gauge whats a good price, Im looking to pick one up too for running in the rain