REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Man Dies after Being Shot by Police (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699784-man-dies-after-being-shot-police.html)

Traum 11-23-2014 04:49 PM

Man Dies after Being Shot by Police

Man dies after being shot by Vancouver police - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:

A 51-year-old man shot by Vancouver police has died of his injuries.

Police responded to a call about a distraught man standing in the intersection of East 41st Avenue and Knight Street waving a wooden two-by-four around and shouting loudly at around 5 p.m. PT, police said.

When officers arrived at the scene, police say they were confronted by the man who refused to comply with their instructions.

​In an emailed statement, Const. Brian Montague says police used non-lethal bean bag rounds in an attempt to disarm the man, "but he was eventually shot."
Not going to jump to any conclusions at all, but when this kind of thing happens, it always deserves attention and public scrutiny.

Ronin 11-23-2014 06:51 PM

Well...

...don't fuck with the police.

AAnthony 11-23-2014 07:46 PM

-----

meme405 11-23-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAnthony (Post 8559873)
Probably shouldn't have been doing that

Lol pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

BrRsn 11-23-2014 08:01 PM

Winter = can't use tasers

bean bag rounds and bullets pew, pew pew, pew.

Vancouver does have a problem with drug addiction/mental health, especially among the homeless -- wouldn't be surprised if he had some underlying condition. Anyways ... better a perp die than a cop who serves the community/is a fully functioning member of society. Sad but true

van_city23 11-23-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8559876)
Lol pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

yah but does that really warrant the police shooting at him? I don't know what other options they had though, seems like the bean bag thing failed. Still think it's excessive to shoot in this case.

No, i wasn't there to assess the situation. But after reading the article, I still think it's excessive.

Quote:

"A police car pulled up and police started asking the man to come, and to come towards them across the crosswalk and to put down the stick, and right when they say put down the stick they opened fire on him,"
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...848561?cmp=rss

Mr.C 11-23-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by van_city23 (Post 8559918)
yah but does that really warrant the police shooting at him? I don't know what other options they had though, seems like the bean bag thing failed. Still think it's excessive to shoot in this case.

Were you there to assess the situation? No?

That's the problem with these sorts of events: all the armchair police critics come out of the woodwork.

murd0c 11-23-2014 08:50 PM

Should of used rubber bullets not real ones

The_Situation 11-23-2014 08:57 PM

scurred of a 2x4

Lomac 11-23-2014 09:00 PM

Rubber bullets/bean bags aren't "non lethal." They're considered "less-than-lethal" because the potential for fatal injuries are less than real bullets, though they are still more than capable of killing someone.

Sorry, just bothers me when people consider them to be non-lethal. /tangent

As for what happened, until there's some sort of video footage of the full incident, I don't think any of us can judge what should or should not have happened in this case.

BrRsn 11-23-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8559924)
Should of used rubber bullets not real ones

they tried beanbags. Dude didn't go down or stop, so they stepped it up.

He was wearing a thick jacket so they couldn't use their tasers.

Scene looked like he had been hit by a car when i drove by a few minutes after the initial shooting. Wasn't until that I watched the evening news that I realized what I had seen

Traum 11-23-2014 09:07 PM

Not commenting on how appropriate it was for the police to end up using lethal force (real bullets) to take the person down, but quite frankly, I am very surprised that the bean bag rounds didn't work. I would never have thought that a thick winter jacket is all it takes to defend against them.

4444 11-23-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8559883)
Winter = can't use tasers

bean bag rounds and bullets pew, pew pew, pew.

Vancouver does have a problem with drug addiction/mental health, especially among the homeless -- wouldn't be surprised if he had some underlying condition. Anyways ... better a perp die than a cop who serves the community/is a fully functioning member of society. Sad but true

Why does winter = no taser?

If rain = taser, then that's not the same as it rains all yr here and it wasn't raining when this happened, me thinks

Lomac 11-23-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8559939)
Why does winter = no taser?

If rain = taser, then that's not the same as it rains all yr here and it wasn't raining when this happened, me thinks

Because winter = thick winter jackets. Taser needles wont necessarily penetrate the insulation.

Phozy 11-23-2014 09:25 PM

Read the title, and a moment later, i look just below and sure enough...

TRAUM.

Waving two by fours...not a good idea.

Traum 11-23-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phozy (Post 8559943)
Read the title, and a moment later, i look just below and sure enough...

TRAUM.

Waving two by fours...not a good idea.

Not sure what you are trying to say or suggest, buddy. And for the record (in case you didn't see it in the first post), I am not jumping to any conclusions regarding how appropriate it is for the police to shoot. Until more information gets released, no one has any clue on the details that led up to the shooting.

There will always be people that unquestioningly agree with what the police do. Perhaps you might fall into that category, but I most certainly am not one of those. And let me assure you, you do not want to live in a place where everyone unquestioningly agrees with what the police do.

Phozy 11-23-2014 10:08 PM

I guess i will say that for the record, I never said you jumped to any conclusions.
It was just one of those ”this is going to be a CIC thread" moments.

Rest assured Traum, I do not identify myself under that catagory, and whole heartedly agree with the notion that more information must be obtained before jumping to any conclusions.....

GabAlmighty 11-23-2014 10:22 PM

I remember this one time a guy was waving a 2x4 around and I got scarred... Oh wait, no I don't.

Mr.HappySilp 11-23-2014 10:46 PM

hmm I though pepper spray would be better than rubber bullets or bean bags since is less lethal?

pinn3r 11-23-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8559970)
hmm I though pepper spray would be better than rubber bullets or bean bags since is less lethal?

would it be feasible to get within proximity to use pepper spray when a 2x4 is flying through the air?

Traum 11-23-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8559970)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinn3r (Post 8559971)
would it be feasible to get within proximity to use pepper spray when a 2x4 is flying through the air?

You know, now that you mentioned it, using pepper spray -- HK Police style -- would really be a lot more effective in subduing the perpetrator. The military grade ones that the HK Police were using in the Umbrella Movement have a range of up to 5m and a 20 second shooting duration.

trancehead 11-23-2014 10:55 PM

he brought a 2x4 to a gun fight

7seven 11-23-2014 10:58 PM

If the subject advanced towards the officers with the 2x4 in an aggressive manner after already refusing to comply with instructions then it was a good clean shoot, that is what needs to be determined here.

pinn3r 11-23-2014 11:27 PM

Officers have a one plus one standard of force, meaning that they have the authority to use one higher level of force than that with which they are confronted. The only thing that justifies lethal force is to immediately halt what the other person is doing.

The mere presence of officers should've been enough to de-escalate the situation. If not, officers will use dialogue, or verbal judo. Empty hands (physical force) will be a level up, followed by compliance tools (equipment/weapons to gain control of the situation). Lethal force should be the last resort to reduce lethal threat.

There isn't enough evidence to conclude, but I'm going to conjecture that the shooting wasn't justified. I find it difficult to believe a 2x4 to be an imminent lethal threat

bcrdukes 11-23-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8559929)
He was wearing a thick jacket so they couldn't use their tasers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8559941)
Because winter = thick winter jackets. Taser needles wont necessarily penetrate the insulation.

Holy shit. It all makes sense now. All these Surrey Jacks and Metrotown thugs all rock the same North Face puffy jacket to avoid being tazed.

My mind is blown.