REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
"13-year-old girl struck by 2 cars in North Vancouver"

I remember seeing that TL with painted calipers somewhere here in Revscene, hope the driver is and girl is okay

Police say girl emerged from between 2 parked vehicles, was not in a marked crosswalk

A 13-year-old girl is in serious condition in hospital after she was struck by two vehicles in North Vancouver while crossing the street between two marked crosswalks around 11:30 a.m. PT, Saturday.

Police say the girl was mid-block on West 3rd Street between Lonsdale and Chesterfield Avenues when she was first struck by a westbound and then an eastbound vehicle. The drivers of both cars remained at the scene.

North Vancouver RCMP Cpl. Richard De Jong says the girl emerged from between two parked cars and was hit by one car then thrown into the path of the second vehicle.

He says the sun was out, it was bright and the roads weren't icy.

"This is another tragic stark reminder for all pedestrians — always use the marked designated crosswalks and be alert to all vehicles, said De Jong.

The North Vancouver resident was rushed to Lions Gate Hospital with serious head injuries and then transferred to B.C. Children's Hospital. Her family has been notified.

De Jong says victim services is assisting the witnesses and the drivers of the two cars.

13-year-old girl struck by 2 cars in North Vancouver - British Columbia - CBC News
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Another one of those stories where I feel terrible for all parties involved...
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Horrible news, but kudos to the drivers for staying at the scene. Been seeing way to many hit and runs on the news these past few months.
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
A tragic accident that could easily have been prevented by taking the proper precautions... I hate to preach at a time like this, but if you're a pedestrian please only cross at designated areas and wear bright colors or even reflective strips when walking at night, especially in bad weather. Common sense goes a long way, even if you have the "right of way" be careful and cautious. Too often I've seen people who had the "right of way" get hurt or even killed, unfortunately between you and a 3000+ lb vehicle it really doesn't matter....
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
The sense of entitlement from pedestrians and cyclists needs to be corrected. Mass and kinetic energy don't give a shit about your frail body in traffic. Even as motorists you're not supposed to assume other motorists will adhere to the laws of the road.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I've noticed more and more people are just looking down at their phones while crossing the street! It just annoys me seeing them being so clueless. Even when they are in a cross walk, it's important to remain alert at oncoming cars because you can't expect cars to slam on their brakes and stop as soon as you step onto the x-walk.
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
Too often I've seen people who had the "right of way" get hurt or even killed, unfortunately between you and a 3000+ lb vehicle it really doesn't matter....
Exactly.

You want to be right or you want to be dead?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Just curious as to know what happens in cases like this. For example, they clearly ran out or jaywalked say it was dark out or something and they crossed when the light was red (walk or run). Also what happens in cases where you're in lane 3 such as an HOV lane and the cars in lane 1 and 2 are stopped for the light, and someone comes dashing out from the left without looking. Is there really no way you can wina case?

This event is tragic. I hope the girl is okay and that others are more aware of cars when making decisions to cross.
AudiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I passed by this scene twice as it is on my regular route to go home. I wondered why the block was closed off.

Such a tragedy, the problem is, and I see this almost every night, there is people walking around this area late at night, and some streets are very dark, and the people are wearing dark or all black clothes. Makes it really hard to see you until I am within a close proximity. This happens early morning now as well, as it is still very dark when the seabus starts up.

Now this accident happened when it was light outside so obviously not the reason, but I'm just saying its only a matter of time before a pedestrian is struck on chesterfield between esplanade and 3rd. The street is dimly lit, and it is a high traffic and pedestrian area.

Be smart, wear something other than black if you are going to be walking around vehicles, I'm not asking you to wear a reflective vest, but even a creme or bright coloured snowboarding jacket does wonders.

And as someone said above be cautious, just because you have right of way doesn't mean you can just bolt out in front of a 4000lb car. Cause in the end if they hit you, you always lose.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Seems like people these days don't regard the good old fashioned "Look before you cross" rule before crossing. Even if they cross the street trying to prove pedestrians have the right of way, is it worth getting injured or killed for?
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Pedestrians now have a mentality of "if you hit me, you're going be to in serious trouble." This entitlement has caused this mass strings of pedestrians being hit.

I see it daily on my commute; people with headphones in, looking at their phones, just crossing the street. <--- This mainly happens at 4-way stops. They don't try to walk with traffic, or anything. They just feel like they are above cars and will walk whenever they want to.

We need to start campaigns back up in elementary schools & on TV that you need to:

1) Stop.
2) Look both ways.
3) Use your fucking brain
4) Cross the road.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
sweet sig

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #13
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I passed by this scene twice as it is on my regular route to go home. I wondered why the block was closed off.

Such a tragedy, the problem is, and I see this almost every night, there is people walking around this area late at night, and some streets are very dark, and the people are wearing dark or all black clothes. Makes it really hard to see you until I am within a close proximity. This happens early morning now as well, as it is still very dark when the seabus starts up.
Also it is cold now so there is a high chance for black ice. When I walk home everyday there is a street with no lights and is hard to see anyone walking. What I do is when I see car lights I stay away from the road as far as I can. Also order some reflective arm bands and bicycle lights to attach to my arms and bags this way is easy to tell there is someone walking there. Literally there are times when i see people walking in the middle of the street wearing black jackets and dark color jeans. Drivers aren't going to see you till is too late.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
The sense of entitlement from pedestrians and cyclists needs to be corrected. Mass and kinetic energy don't give a shit about your frail body in traffic. Even as motorists you're not supposed to assume other motorists will adhere to the laws of the road.
exactly. people bolt out of nowhere assuming everyone will come to a dead stop from full speed.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post

We need to start campaigns back up in elementary schools & on TV that you need to:

1) Stop.
1B) PUT YOUR CELL PHONE AWAY.
2) Look both ways.
4) Cross the road.
Edited to add 1B.
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #17
racing & tech mod.

I think the important fact here is the girl was only 13, and she jumped out in front of a car.

I teach new drivers, and many 16-25 year olds have trouble judging the closure rate of oncoming vehicles, nevermind a 13 year old.

I would blame the parent as a knee jerk reaction, but as a parent myself I am slowly coming to the realization that, at the end of the day, kids are kids and they are prone to do stupid shit no matter how much you nag or reason.

I feel bad for everyone in this situation... can't really lay blame on a 13 year old.. although I would expect most 13 year olds to be a BIT smarter than that. It's a SHAME really.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #18
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiFreak View Post
Just curious as to know what happens in cases like this. For example, they clearly ran out or jaywalked say it was dark out or something and they crossed when the light was red (walk or run). Also what happens in cases where you're in lane 3 such as an HOV lane and the cars in lane 1 and 2 are stopped for the light, and someone comes dashing out from the left without looking. Is there really no way you can wina case?

This event is tragic. I hope the girl is okay and that others are more aware of cars when making decisions to cross.
There are multiple case examples in this province from pedestrians illegally stepping out in front of a vehicle that was not reasonably able to stop in time. The injured pedestrians were held liable for the damages to the vehicle and occupant.

Even if the pedestrian is not crossing legally, oncoming vehicles MUST avoid collision with the jaywalker once they are on the road, UNLESS the jaywalker has stepped out in such a manner that a collision cannot be avoid by the driver - in that case it is 100% the peds fault.

The EXCEPTION to the above is if the driver of a car proceeded at a higher rate of speed than what the prevailing visibility allowed. So if you take the above example, but then factor in poor weather, and vision obstructions such as other traffic or sunset/ etc, and the driver was still driving at or above the speed limit, then the driver must shoulder some of the blame! Was the vehicle driving at a reasonable speed for the conditions? If you have the sun directly in your eye and can't see, why would you still be bombing down the road at 60-70kph (in a 50kph zone?)

Your example of someone crossing in front of stopped cars that you are about to pass is a good point. The only morsel of advice I can offer you is that if you can't clearly see that the intersection is clear, SLOW DOWN or STOP. Don't bust through just because you have a green light. You MUST make sure it is clear before entering the intersection. If you are on a road with more than one lane in your direction of travel, like Oak or Cambie street, and there is a car stopped at a crosswalk or even in the middle of the road, that IS NOT turning, ask yourself WHY is this goober stopped, BEFORE you fly past beside him.

Is he stopped for a pedestrian?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #19
racing & tech mod.

This.

I always ask my students after their 1st or 2nd driving lesson, if their behavior as a pedestrian has changed since they started driving. EVERYONE always says yes, they are more aware of how HARD it is to see pedestrians when driving, especially at night.

Kids, and other non-driving adults just don't bloody get it until they start driving themselves.

On the other hand, some fully-grown and licenced adults are just plain STUPID and you can't fix stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Pedestrians now have a mentality of "if you hit me, you're going be to in serious trouble." This entitlement has caused this mass strings of pedestrians being hit.

I see it daily on my commute; people with headphones in, looking at their phones, just crossing the street. <--- This mainly happens at 4-way stops. They don't try to walk with traffic, or anything. They just feel like they are above cars and will walk whenever they want to.

1) Stop.
2) Look both ways.
4) Cross the road.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #20
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
It's really amazing how dumb some people are...Yeah, let's just run across the street without looking both ways...good idea.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote