REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   96 Accord Over heated Today (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699961-96-accord-over-heated-today.html)

tegra7 12-02-2014 07:27 PM

96 Accord Over heated Today

So my 96 Accord (2.2 4cyl non vtec)overheated on my way home from work today.

Drove for about 30 min, then at idle then the temp gauge rose to half way.
After another 10 min of driving it rose again past the half way mark, so
I pulled into a gas station to let it cool down. I should also mention that my rad fan never comes while driving or idling, only when I shut the engine off.

Coolant is full. So my only guess is this could be a faulty fan switch or thermostat? Any ideas guys.

fliptuner 12-02-2014 07:32 PM

When the engine was hot were both the rad hoses the same temp?

Have you done any recent work to the car?

snails 12-02-2014 07:35 PM

what he said^^

start the car, let it warm up and check of bother bottom and top rad hoses are the same temp

sounds like your thermostat isnt opening up

320icar 12-02-2014 07:54 PM

I bet you your thermostat isn't opening up

tegra7 12-02-2014 08:27 PM

Bottom rad hose was a lot cooler. But why do the fans only come on when I shut the engine off?

tegra7 12-02-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8564041)
When the engine was hot were both the rad hoses the same temp?

Have you done any recent work to the car?

Yes. Dist cap, rotor, plugs, air filter and HID's. I did not touch anything to do with the cooling system

Puck Luck 12-05-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegra7 (Post 8564036)
So my 96 Accord (2.2 4cyl non vtec)overheated on my way home from work today.

Drove for about 30 min, then at idle then the temp gauge rose to half way.
After another 10 min of driving it rose again past the half way mark, so
I pulled into a gas station to let it cool down. I should also mention that my rad fan never comes while driving or idling, only when I shut the engine off.

Coolant is full. So my only guess is this could be a faulty fan switch or thermostat? Any ideas guys.

just to be clear...the temp gauge never got to the half way point during the 30 min drive, only rose up to the half mark while driving? Is it only over heating while driving and not at idle?

tegra7 12-08-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck Luck (Post 8565336)
just to be clear...the temp gauge never got to the half way point during the 30 min drive, only rose up to the half mark while driving? Is it only over heating while driving and not at idle?

It actually went up past the half way mark. But I replaced the thermostat. Everything seems good now.