REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Banning Right Hand Drive (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699996-banning-right-hand-drive.html)

duy- 12-11-2014 10:22 AM

lol that skyline has a VI coming

suspension and bushings not designed for the streets with overly aggressive spring rates and super low has to drive ridiculously around a speed bump or at an angle
freshly rebuilt engine designed for racing so yeah hes gon b speeding
no leaks, cant argue with that
roll cage, if he has a halo thats a concussion waiting to happen, i should know... unless he wears a helmet street driving
wide wheels, good tires... cant argue with that, i guess in case it rubs

that being said my car just fit all that description minus the cage which i sold

also icbc charges more insurance for a RHD, cmon its icbc... they got money making monopoly on lockdown.

jdmfemme 12-11-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duy- (Post 8567961)
also icbc charges more insurance for a RHD, cmon its icbc... they got money making monopoly on lockdown.

ICBC does not charge higher insurance rates for RHD vehicles. I'm an insurance agent and I own two RHD vehicles. The only difference is that on my registration there's a 'Y' beside foreign import and right hand drive.

right angle 12-11-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duy- (Post 8567961)
roll cage, if he has a halo thats a concussion waiting to happen, i should know... unless he wears a helmet street driving

Not if you zip-tie some nice foam around it. Probably still not very pleasant but damn I bet it's better than just bashing your head against the roof or door.

underscore 12-11-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzira (Post 8567905)

Half the shit on that Skyline actually makes it more dangerous for the street, that suspension has zero travel, the cage is dangerous, the harness makes it harder to shoulder check, and the brakes and seat likely aren't approved for road use.

Timpo 12-11-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8568258)
Half the shit on that Skyline actually makes it more dangerous for the street, that suspension has zero travel, the cage is dangerous, the harness makes it harder to shoulder check, and the brakes and seat likely aren't approved for road use.

Obtaining DOT/SAE Approval is very expensive.

Some aftermarket parts may be fine for road use, however cost of approval makes it difficult for manufactures so they just put "off road use only" sign.

You're complaining about coilover's suspension travel and spring rate?
Go look at expensive cars like Pagani Zonda R, Nismo GT-R, Viper ACR, NSX-R, 911 GT3 RS, Caterham Super 7, Lotus Exige LF1, Caparo T1, and list goes on...

In emergency maneuver, I would say the modded GT-R would do much better job than the $500 beater off craigslist.

The only reason modded sportscars would get in trouble is because of perception of cops.
If you're driving a beater, cops will assume that you probably won't be driving fast = safe driver.
Whereas if you drive a fast car = street racer.

underscore 12-12-2014 07:51 AM

Coilovers in general are completely fine, the ones on that Skyline however can't possibly have much travel as it would be smashing the lip into the ground and tires into the fenders constantly if it did.

Godzira 12-12-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8568258)

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8568351)
Coilovers in general are completely fine, the ones on that Skyline however can't possibly have much travel as it would be smashing the lip into the ground and tires into the fenders constantly if it did.

C'moon. lol really?
Its just a generalization.. You can't argue it's a lot less dangerous than rusted out / bent frames, broken suspension, brakes that are metal on metal, air in the lines, ball joints are completely fucked, shocks that bounce the car off the road.

But a low km well taken care of jdm car gets vi'd for being low.

Timpo 12-12-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8568351)

If I remember correctly, you can go as low as 90mm to be approved by Transport Canada.
Lamborghini Diablo and Honda NSX had 140mm clearance, so you could lower 50mm(2 inches) legally.

However when you lower your car, the bottom of rims can not be higher than bottom of chassis.
This is because when you get a flat tire, you can retain some of control.

Timpo 12-12-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzira (Post 8568361)
C'moon. lol really?
Its just a generalization.. You can't argue it's a lot less dangerous than rusted out / bent frames, broken suspension, brakes that are metal on metal, air in the lines, ball joints are completely fucked, shocks that bounce the car off the road.

But a low km well taken care of jdm car gets vi'd for being low.

Yeah there's no secret that cops will target fancy cars for VI.

Look, one car has been very well maintained, babied by the owner, all the maintenance up to date, drives like a new car, braking and handling performance will be very good during emergency maneuver.
Whereas the other one is mechanically unsound, engine could stall anytime, brakes are failing, etc.

Trying going through a road block in these cars and see who is going to get a VI.

http://www.carpictures.com/pics/640/...0114527AA.jpeg
http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/upl...er-720x433.jpg

underscore 12-12-2014 10:32 AM

As usual, you two completely miss the point and build up useless "what if's>

cooke24 12-22-2014 07:06 PM

Japanese imports FTW!

im sorry theres no difference after a few months of driving RHD.

they can do it in anywhere else in the world so can Canadians.... sorry americans you have to wait 25 years lol.

i prefer RHD. Why? because if i wanna pass i have to make absolutely sure its safe whereas LHD you can be like oh i have enough time if i gun it fast enough.

same thing goes with left turns.

hers a picture of my pos

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0c5d4d6e.jpg

N8 12-23-2014 08:13 AM

^ thats far from a pos :p

trollguy 12-23-2014 08:20 AM

cute car

MarkyMark 12-23-2014 09:27 AM

I like how every RHD car is now seen as practically brand new, no rust and the best suspension money can buy. Let's forget the fact that most of them are POS rust buckets themselves that some kid got as a first car. Neither are safer, and the ones that do have the high end parts didn't do it to drive like a granny on the streets either.

See I can make pointless observations too

The_AK 12-23-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8572571)
I like how every RHD car is now seen as practically brand new, no rust and the best suspension money can buy. Let's forget the fact that most of them are POS rust buckets themselves that some kid got as a first car. Neither are safer, and the ones that do have the high end parts didn't do it to drive like a granny on the streets either.

See I can make pointless observations too

lol why buy used anyways?

brb no warranty
brb no new car smell
brb lol someone else already put their greasy hands on it before you
brb i was there first

:suspicious:

Godzira 12-23-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8572583)
lol why buy used anyways?

brb no warranty
brb no new car smell
brb lol someone else already put their greasy hands on it before you
brb i was there first

:suspicious:

^^the only factors to consider when buying a car.

lol :fullofwin:

The_AK 12-23-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzira (Post 8572584)
^^the only factors to consider when buying a car.

lol :fullofwin:

Think about it man, for the same price you could get a brand new nissan versa (base model)

brb warranty
brb choose your own colour (black, white, silver, beige)
brb don't need to worry about those bothersome vehicle inspections
brb CVT transmission maximizing fuel efficiency

Godzira 12-23-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8572586)
Think about it man, for the same price you could get a brand new nissan versa (base model)

brb warranty
brb choose your own colour (black, white, silver, beige)
brb don't need to worry about those bothersome vehicle inspections
brb CVT transmission maximizing fuel efficiency

+recalls + loses value the second you drive it away + no power + yick.

+ warranty is bs. I don't want anyone else touching my car. + base model ?? fuck that.

I've owned a brand new vehicle first owner, etc. and a number of 10-25 year old vehicles. I'll never buy brand new again.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/69860...tter-cars.html

I'll just leave that there..

The_AK 12-23-2014 11:27 AM

Lol I'm just messing with you, long day at work :@

Godzira 12-23-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8572596)
Lol I'm just messing with you, long day at work :@

:accepted:

Xul 01-02-2015 04:02 PM

I recently discussed this with a person fairly high up the federal govt food chain, who assured me that there is no danger of RHD vehicles being banned, at least on a Federal level.

Timpo 01-02-2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xul (Post 8576031)
I recently discussed this with a person fairly high up the federal govt food chain, who assured me that there is no danger of RHD vehicles being banned, at least on a Federal level.

oh shit, so at provincial/municipal level, RHD cars are still in danger.

Xul 01-02-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8576057)
oh shit, so at provincial/municipal level, RHD cars are still in danger.

You could look at it that way, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. I think/hope they've got more important things to worry about.