REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Banning Right Hand Drive (https://www.revscene.net/forums/699996-banning-right-hand-drive.html)

Godzira 12-04-2014 10:46 AM

Banning Right Hand Drive

Okay so every year there's a scare or 2 to BAN all rhd vehicles or "close the ports" etc. and I'm sure you guys don't really care since this is Alberta but if you want to take the survey and stop it from happening every vote counts! maybe if they get enough "No's" they might lay off for good and who knows if they do end up banning them in Alberta it would probably only be a matter of time before BC does as well. It takes a few minutes to finish the survey but I'll just leave this here. you don't need to give any personal information or anything..

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-A...RHD_Survey.jpg

link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BN2TLYF

white rocket 12-04-2014 11:36 AM

I always thought that once the government allows a vehicle to be here they can't revert back. How fair would that be? You buy a car that are within the specs of the transport ministry then they decide that it's not allowed and your fucked? I dunno, I don't think it will happen or if it did they would just close the ports and not allow anymore in. But those that are here already are grandfathered in.

The same as Mitsubishi pulling out of Canada. If they did they would need to remain here to honour their warranty until the last registered car warranty expires. Their sales would stop though.

duy- 12-04-2014 11:41 AM

well thats crap, vote against / latest pic of yo rhd whip thread!

Godzira 12-04-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8564757)
I always thought that once the government allows a vehicle to be here they can't revert back. How fair would that be? You buy a car that are within the specs of the transport ministry then they decide that it's not allowed and your fucked? I dunno, I don't think it will happen or if it did they would just close the ports and not allow anymore in. But those that are here already are grandfathered in.

The same as Mitsubishi pulling out of Canada. If they did they would need to remain here to honour their warranty until the last registered car warranty expires. Their sales would stop though.

Apparently they would either grandfather what is already here or once your registration is up you can't renew and it is strictly a track car

Tone Loc 12-04-2014 11:49 AM

They will likely just apply the grandfather rule to already-landed RHD cars... sort of like with prohibited firearms. There is no way to obtain one or buy one unless you already had one before the law came into effect.

Honestly a lot of these studies are BS, they effectively blame the car for being RHD, when in reality it is 99% of the time the driver. Consider that the majority of RHD cars imported are cheap, high-performance vehicles... who is buying them? Young people whose crash statistics are already higher and, frankly, are too immature to handle something that powerful on public roads.

InvisibleSoul 12-04-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 (Post 8564762)
Honestly a lot of these studies are BS, they effectively blame the car for being RHD, when in reality it is 99% of the time the driver. Consider that the majority of RHD cars imported are cheap, high-performance vehicles... who is buying them? Young people whose crash statistics are already higher and, frankly, are too immature to handle something that powerful on public roads.

That may be a factor, but I can't see it possibly accounting for a 32-40% increase. I don't think there can be any debate about it being harder to turn left with a RHD vehicle, especially when there is no designated turning lane.

Even with a LHD vehicle, it's sometimes hard seeing the opposing traffic when there is no left turn lane. It would be much worse with a RHD vehicle, where I can imagine you'd have to guess at times whether there's oncoming traffic or not.

That being said... what about the RHD garbage trucks? :concentrate:

Edison_Chen 12-04-2014 12:37 PM

^ or even those small Canada Post mail trucks too..

BBMme 12-04-2014 02:10 PM

I don't drive a RHD car but most accident I've seen or heard about are mostly LHD =p

BoostedBB6 12-04-2014 02:12 PM

Say it poses an increase risk, but does not back with facts about incidents involving RHD vehicles.....seems legit.

underscore 12-04-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 8564780)
That may be a factor, but I can't see it possibly accounting for a 32-40% increase. I don't think there can be any debate about it being harder to turn left with a RHD vehicle, especially when there is no designated turning lane.

Even with a LHD vehicle, it's sometimes hard seeing the opposing traffic when there is no left turn lane. It would be much worse with a RHD vehicle, where I can imagine you'd have to guess at times whether there's oncoming traffic or not.

The "trick" is to drive it the same as any other car: only make a move when you're sure it won't result in a collision. If you're guessing at whether it's clear or not you need to have your license revoked.

hchang 12-04-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBMme (Post 8564814)
I don't drive a RHD car but most accident I've seen or heard about are mostly LHD =p

Well no shit considering there's more left hand drive cars than right hand

Godzira 12-04-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 8564841)
Well no shit considering there's more left hand drive cars than right hand

nothing gets passed you

Indy 12-04-2014 03:58 PM

I would like to see a study from France or Germany or the like showing statistics of accidents involving cars from the UK to help validate or disprove this argument.

Godzira 12-04-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 8564863)
I would like to see a study from France or Germany or the like showing statistics of accidents involving cars from the UK to help validate or disprove this argument.

the argument would be that those right hand drives are meant for their roads.

SpartanAir 12-04-2014 05:35 PM

I would love to see these so called studies.

In Europe, you can drive a RHD UK car through the Chunnel to the mainland and go wherever you need to go, on the right side. And vice versa, if you drive a French car to the UK. This happens all the time, how is this not an issue?

In Japan, German cars like Porsche, BMW, Mercedes are brought in as LHD to Japan, hence all the "JDM" low mileage, weird, rare German cars here in Vancouver.

Can either of those places prove the cars with opposite side driving positions cause more accidents? I would think because there are so many, that it's not even a factor, and accidents happen from poor driving and nothing else.

A country like Australia might only have RHD cars because you can't get a LHD car there short of shipping one.

I've owned 4 RHD cars since 2006, and no incidents (knock on wood). I just take extra care turning left at intersections, and rarely come across a chance to pass on a single lane highway here in the city.

It's all a bunch of bullshit pushed by people who have interest in the used car market who are losing sales because people prefer buying a JDM import than a piece of shit high mileage Canadian car.

sdubfid 12-04-2014 06:03 PM

tim Hortons is behind this

hchang 12-04-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzira (Post 8564853)
nothing gets passed you

*past

The_AK 12-04-2014 07:32 PM

I did the survey. Last thing I would like to happen is this passing in one province, setting a precedent, and moving to other provinces.

E-SPEC 12-04-2014 07:41 PM

There are too many cars on the street anyways. So sure bann them.

InvisibleSoul 12-04-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8564840)
The "trick" is to drive it the same as any other car: only make a move when you're sure it won't result in a collision. If you're guessing at whether it's clear or not you need to have your license revoked.

I've never driven a RHD car so I can't speak from experience, but I know I sometimes have to creep out slightly into the opposing lane to see if there's oncoming traffic. I would imagine you'd have to be halfway into the opposing lane to see in a RHD car.

boostfever 12-04-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-SPEC (Post 8564967)
There are too many cars on the street anyways. So sure bann them.

Yeah esp Honda sedans...

I know you don't care about your car bro... :troll:

Hondaracer 12-04-2014 07:47 PM

i dont really care as most of the japanese imports are kinda POS's anyways and i'm not dieing to see some R34 roaming the street anymore as they are pretty dated now that they are legal here.

I think the people who will be hurt the most by this are the older wealthier crowd who want your older euro classics as a sunday car, not the guy driving the R32 with the bumper falling off

Nicotine 12-04-2014 07:53 PM

underscore 12-04-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8564957)
I did the survey. Last thing I would like to happen is this passing in one province, setting a precedent, and moving to other provinces.

Didn't they already do this in Quebec?

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 8564968)
I've never driven a RHD car so I can't speak from experience, but I know I sometimes have to creep out slightly into the opposing lane to see if there's oncoming traffic. I would imagine you'd have to be halfway into the opposing lane to see in a RHD car.

You don't creep out any further in a RHD car, you wait until you can see clearly (no left turners opposing you) or wait for a red. Anyone stupid enough to blindly stick their car into oncoming traffic would do the same in a LHD car so it's a moot point.

Honestly I'm starting to wonder if some of you guys are competent enough to operate any vehicle, let alone something RHD.

SpartanAir 12-04-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8565010)
You don't creep out any further in a RHD car, you wait until you can see clearly (no left turners opposing you) or wait for a red. Anyone stupid enough to blindly stick their car into oncoming traffic would do the same in a LHD car so it's a moot point.

Honestly I'm starting to wonder if some of you guys are competent enough to operate any vehicle, let alone something RHD.

This.

If I'm turning left, I wait til a yellow/red light and a clear path to turn. If there are opposing left turners I just wait to see around them or until they turn. It's just being a safe driver. Trying to squeak a left turn between speeding cars is a risky move regardless of RHD or LHD.

And when it comes to overtaking a car on a single lane highway, that's generally a risky move anyways, so again, be 100% sure there is no oncoming traffic. Same as you would do if it was LHD.

If you really cared, there's always this option:
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ocunier/96.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ocunier/78.jpg