REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-08-2014, 12:50 AM   #26
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRice? View Post
american cars can be fast and handle way better than ever before... but it is still not as refine as a import from europe and japan that is in the same class...
Source?
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #27
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
well toyota/lexus' plan for the next several years is to become a lot more performance oriented so hopefully thats the same for the other brands

although the other brands are hurting from domestics and korean cars...they may not want to risk pouring money out
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #28
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
What about the Lexus RC F compared to the Z28? The Camaro wins out over the RC F if you're compare them solely on performance and price:

Z28: $77,700 CAD MSRP, 505 hp V8.

RC F: $80,00 CAD MSRP, 467 hp V8.

However, I would think the RC F is a more reliable car than the Mustang.
The two you mentioned are different animals targeted at different customers.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but depending on what you are looking for in a 80k car, the Lexus probably makes more sense. Whereas the Z28 gets people who can't actually afford an 80k car, excited.

Just my opinion
versep is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #29
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
BUT THE INTERIOR!

amirite
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
^
yah, that's what I was getting at. for the past couple of years, our beloved Japanese brands are losing territory in the performance car market. the near future is not looking so bright at the moment.

still waiting to see a turbocharged FRS/BRZ myself.
It's like the 1990s all over again. japanese sports cars didn't improve much and price stays high. i hope it doesnt happen though.
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Source?
@3:00

not just that but u jump into a american car like a caddy or a lincoln then jump into a import like a Audi, BMW, Merc, Lexus and Infiniti even a Hyundai Equus / KIA K9 the material feels nicer, looks more high end, and the american car just look like a rental...

as for the fifth gen camaro that technically is not a american car, it might be built here but it weren't design here... quote from wikipedia "GM Holden in Australia led the final design, engineering, and development of the Camaro"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Camaro
95 AE101L -sold-

Last edited by GotRice?; 12-08-2014 at 10:26 PM.
GotRice? is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #32
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Citing Top Gear as a source is not exactly reliable information.

Don't get me wrong... It's a great show, very entertaining. I'd hardly call it "informative" though. (Yes it can be at times, but much of what is said should be taken with at least a few grains of salt)
JipJopJones is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #33
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
LOL @ using Top Gear's opinion on American cars (or any cars really... The show is more about entertainment than informational)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #34
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Goodness, yes the domestic cars have improved (about fucking time after they have been so shitty for such a long time), but to say that they have surpassed import performance cars is premature. It will take much longer time to prove that statement, which I'm highly dubious if it'll really ever come true, at least in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by flagella; 12-09-2014 at 08:12 AM.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Oh man Death Blossom, long time dude!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #36
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
BUT THE INTERIOR!

amirite

Car dudes will sit on a torn bench seat with a moldy dashboard if they feel a particular connection with a car. Meanwhile, you'll be in a parking lot going through the manual on how to use the 7" LCD in your dashboard to set the time forward for daylight savings; any sort of hooning requires you have to come to a stop and push 3 different buttons in sequence while saying hail mary's.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #37
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
the Honda/Acura brand is shit compared to where they were 10-15 years ago and the former execs know it.
you probably heard the same rumor where some former Honda execs went to the new ones to scold them and tell them how they're ruining the company.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost91 View Post
holy crap where have you been hiding!!!!
where have YOU been hiding! lol.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #39
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
you probably heard the same rumor where some former Honda execs went to the new ones to scold them and tell them how they're ruining the company.
Apparently it actually did happen:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...uality-recalls

FTA:

Quote:
Honda achieved industry-leading levels of quality over the past three decades through forming "keiretsu" -- bringing parts makers closer to the core through cross-shareholdings to allow close cooperation in designing components. Toyota and Nissan had similar set-ups.

But, as cars have become less mechanical and more technical -- and quality is seen as a given -- the focus has shifted to who can offer buyers "more car" at an affordable price.

That has prompted automakers like Honda to focus on core technology such as hybrid propulsion and hydrogen fuel-cell cars, while commodity parts such as doors, seats, and even transmission, are now procured more widely rather than from "keiretsu" suppliers, with the risk they may be cheaper rather than better.
Cliffs:

People want a lot of car for a relatively low price.
Somehow a nav system, automatic climate control, leather seats, bluetooth this, power that, is seen as a "necessity" in a sub-20,000 dollar economy car.
Manufacturers struggle to deliver this, and the quality of other parts (parts the average buyer won't ever see, touch, fix, or repair) suffers.

IMO if consumers weren't so damn unrealistic (aka asking for BMW levels of luxury from an Accord) the Japanese wouldn't have this problem. Personally I would rather have a super reliable, fun to drive, well-built car with barely any "features" than a fully loaded car that is a complete shitpile...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #40
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
Apparently it actually did happen:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...uality-recalls

FTA:

Cliffs:

People want a lot of car for a relatively low price.
Somehow a nav system, automatic climate control, leather seats, bluetooth this, power that, is seen as a "necessity" in a sub-20,000 dollar economy car.
Manufacturers struggle to deliver this, and the quality of other parts (parts the average buyer won't ever see, touch, fix, or repair) suffers.

IMO if consumers weren't so damn unrealistic (aka asking for BMW levels of luxury from an Accord) the Japanese wouldn't have this problem. Personally I would rather have a super reliable, fun to drive, well-built car with barely any "features" than a fully loaded car that is a complete shitpile...
I think that was a market trend started by the automakers themselves.

I remember seeing entry level automakers boasting about how they can include luxurious features on their cars at a fraction of a price, compared to their German counterparts.

This has made the German throne sitters a little uncomfortable, but in the end, it is the boasting automakers who need to deliver more and more for less and less.
versep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #41
My homepage has been set to RS

Meh, I test drove a ton of import and domestic cars when I was looking at getting a new car this summer. Fiesta ST, Focus ST, BRZ, Mustang. Ended up with a Civic Si when comparing price, features, power, fun factor, reliability, etc. Yah a bunch of the cars had faster 0-60 times than the Civic but I don't go to the track. The Mustang was probably the nicest out of the coupes I drove, but I wanted a 4 door. Honda still comes through with a reliable car that has excellent fit and finish, plus that 6 speed gearbox

Had a 2013 Dodge Charger as a rental in LA a few weeks back. The materials inside felt so cheap, tons of thin plastic. I was hammering my foot on the gas and the 8 speed automatic could never find the right gear, was super hard to accelerate on the highway.

Overall, domestics are making strides, and are in a much better position than they were 7-8 years ago, but there is still something about driving an import that I can't move away from.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #42
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,327 Times in 5,643 Posts
A civic SI isn't exactly a Z06..

Grocery getter's are still grocery getter's, I don't think there's much argument that interior wise lower end imports are still far nicer, but it's getting to the point where price point isn't getting you that much more value in imports than domestic.

Hell, a guy I work with just spent 36k on a 2014 Toyota Tacoma. Another guy on our site bought a 2014 dodge 1500 Laramie, loaded with every option brand new for 34

Imo and it's been documented as well, Toyota's quality is not the thing of legends like it used to be, and when your in the same price range, options win imo
Old 12-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
I would rather have a super reliable, fun to drive, well-built car with barely any "features" than a fully loaded car that is a complete shitpile...

Give me a V8, RWD, 4 doors and a stick shift, fuck I barely even need a stereo if the exhaust sounds good!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #44
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Give me a V8, RWD, 4 doors and a stick shift, fuck I barely even need a stereo if the exhaust sounds good!
Then you want this...

2015s are available with a 6M transmission

Can't get this in Canada though. One hell of a deal.

GM and Chrysler rode their ego laden ass through the 80s and 90s just by waving the US flag. In no time did their shit products bite them back and inevitably leading to Chapter 11s. They could have better tapped into their global operations. By the time cars like the Pontiac G8 and 2nd gen Cadillac CTS came around, it was WAY too late. GM tapped out Holden till their death (no more RWD Commodore).

I'd say it wasn't until the ATS came in that everyone turned around and said 'Whoa, now THIS is a real car'. Yes, GM made some cars with brute power, awesome sound and good dynamics but as far as making a car that appeals to almost everyone, the ATS is really hard to beat.

When the 2010 Buick Regals came out (rebadged Opels), Yanks complained there were too many buttons but back track through time and Yanks also complained the Saturn (Opel) Astra had too many buttons and only ONE cup holder.

I wouldn't say the Domestics have caught up, I'd say the Imports lagged. With prices rising, people just want value for the dollar. If you can get a fully loaded Ford Escape for the price of barely optioned BMW X3, why not?
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #45
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

What happened to domestic cars must produce highly fuel efficient cars? I thought it was a mandatory thing back then.

I mean I don't mind a v8, I just can't afford the gas
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #46

^
That's a "fleet thing". A car manufacturer has to reach a certain average MPG across their entire model range. So they can have a lot of fuel efficient models to lower their overall average.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #47
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
^
That's a "fleet thing". A car manufacturer has to reach a certain average MPG across their entire model range. So they can have a lot of fuel efficient models to lower their overall average.
your number still the same? i'll text you......msg me your daily schedule we'll try and have lunch
frost91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #48
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
why are American cars domestic cars?

Do people in Mexico call American cars domestic as well?

I'm quite certain that Chinese people don't call Korea cars domestic cars?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #49
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Here are some real domestic cars

Campagna T-REX

HTT Plethore

Bricklin SV-1

Manic GT

Magnum MK5

Felino CB7

ZENN EV

De Macross GT1
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #50

wow, Timpo is trolling hard with this most recent post. but I will bite.

"domestic" is a term that is used in North America to describe American car makes. many journalists and other also refer to the big 3 as "American" car makers. and to answer your other question, yes, Japanese or Korean can also call their own cars as domestic, but choose not to.