REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Career Help

I got a problem, so I'm coming to revscene for help like all smart men do. So I got two choices right now. I can either become a heavy duty mechanic, or an automotive mechanic. I enjoy fixing stuff, and working on cars. I already had two job offers as a heavy duty mechanic, but my hobbies is cars and I love working on my own car. I'm not sure if I should follow the money or my passion. I could easily get an apprenticeship and red seal for either one, I have family and friends who own both type of shops. I just need help deciding on what I should do. Heavy duty mechanics are in high demand and make crazy money, but I love cars not heavy duty equipment. I need help deciding. What are some pros and cons on both. Also if I do become a mechanic, I want to get into building, and tuning cars not just repairing them. I need some help deciding.
Advertisement
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,026 Times in 201 Posts
if you love cars dont be a automotive mechanic.. youll get sick of them, or at least thats what ive been told by all the people i know who have worked on cars for their entire career have told me (used to be car guys like us when they first started).

Go heavy duty mechanic, make the good money and enjoy cars on the side as your hobby!
68 Plymouth Barracuda
03 Custom Chopper
TurboFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Heavy duty mechanics make quite a bit of money. I know a few who has been able to work their way up the ladder as well. The money is even better up north, but it's up north.
versep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
I would go the heavy duty mechanic way. You'll be working on trucks where your hands won't be working in small cramped compartments

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Auto mechanic is a dying trade. You're replacing parts more so than repairing. The pay is low, the apprenticeship is grueling and you'll need years of experience before you make 'average' pay.

It's best to specialize in something.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Don't follow your passion if you want to be an employee. Follow your passion if you want to be an employer.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
I also say go with the heavy mechanic but do cars on the side as a hobby = win win best of both worlds.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Go with being a heavy duty mechanic like everybody said. Don't turn your passion for cars into something you'll eventually hate.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
go with heavy duty and keep cars as your passion. theres no more money in fixing cars. everyone in automotive is broke and miserable and its been that way for quite a while..

once again, there is very good money in heavy duty. get'r done.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I'm currently a Heavy Duty apprentice, we've got all three kinds of mechanics in our shop (HD,CT, and automotive), and the guys who aren't Heavy Duty wish they were. There's more money to be made but also more opportunity. This is because HD is at the top of the pyramid in terms of what you learn and what you do. Automotive mechanics don't deal with hydraulic and pneumatic systems, among other things. The guys in the shop joke that CT guys have only half a ticket, the automotive guys a quarter, haha.

THE ROCK: "What's your favorite donut?"
DETECTIVE #2: "Jelly."
THE ROCK: "Oh, you like jelly. Well, jelly's a good one. The Rock says this; write this down. When you leave here, go down to Dunkin Donuts, get the biggest jelly donut you can find!"
(crowd pops louder)
LAWLER: "Oh, no... this guy's a COP!"
THE ROCK: "Write it down. Hold that jelly donut up, SQUEEZE all the jelly out, squeeze all the-- write it down; you like writing things down-- squeeze all the jelly out, and then-- write this down, you don't want to forget this-- TURN that sumbitch sideways, and stick it STRAIGHT UP your CANDY ASS!"

The Hype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #11

Fuck eh, looks like I'm going to be a heavy duty mechanic. Now union or no union? I got offered a union job, and a non union job. Both pay about the safe, and both give me apprenticeships at any school of my choosing.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
union for sure
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
union.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
know a guy who is a heavy duty mechanic and he didn't like the work, environment, and feeling of being stuck so now he's pursuing an accounting designation (might be on RS, I dunno never asked him, quite possible!)

what I'm saying is there are a lot of options out there for you, even fields that may seem out of reach or totally unrelated, don't close yourself off to just 2 choices...having passions and hobbies are great but if you're grinding in it all day you may grow to hate it especially as you age and things begin to creek (you could always change careers at that point but people can become afraid to by then)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

You can make boat loads of money but hate your job your whole life. Money doesnt bring happiness. Do what you love!
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #16
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
heavy duty
make money
spend it on working on your own car
pick up hunnies
take care of business with best hunnie
retire from heavy duty and open your own car shop

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
You can make boat loads of money but hate your job your whole life. Money doesnt bring happiness. Do what you love!
right.. but it's a means to attaining happiness and in his case.. his car hobby requires it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
heavy duty
make money
spend it on working on your own car
pick up hunnies
take care of business with best hunnie
retire from heavy duty and open your own car shop
i agree with the above suggestion
lady_mapetite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hype View Post
I'm currently a Heavy Duty apprentice, we've got all three kinds of mechanics in our shop (HD,CT, and automotive), and the guys who aren't Heavy Duty wish they were. There's more money to be made but also more opportunity. This is because HD is at the top of the pyramid in terms of what you learn and what you do. Automotive mechanics don't deal with hydraulic and pneumatic systems, among other things. The guys in the shop joke that CT guys have only half a ticket, the automotive guys a quarter, haha.

aye! fock yo mudder mate.

lol. CT isn't half the ticket, only thing different is the hydraulics portion. rest of it is the same. that being said i wish i had done HD instead of CT. and no, i dont work as a CT tech.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:54 AM   #19

Thanks for all the help. I need a lot of money, one day I want to own four cars. A ls swapped nsx a 2jz vettr a rb26 supra and a k20 gtr r34 in midnight purple 3
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2014, 02:26 AM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
Thanks for all the help. I need a lot of money, one day I want to own four cars. A ls swapped nsx a 2jz vettr a rb26 supra and a k20 gtr r34 in midnight purple 3

302 + T5 is a great place to start
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
302 + T5 is a great place to start
Now I'm just getting crazy ideas for what I could build with that. If i ever won the lottery it would go all on cars. What about a awd mustang, with 4 b18 engines. 1 for each tire. Make it a foxbody so it's light as fuck
Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Definitely go heavy duty mechanic. If you ever get sick of it, I'm sure moving over to auto mechanic wouldn't really be that hard as you'll grasp more of an understanding of the mechanics anyway. :P
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Now I'm just getting crazy ideas for what I could build with that. If i ever won the lottery it would go all on cars. What about a awd mustang, with 4 b18 engines. 1 for each tire. Make it a foxbody so it's light as fuck
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
Dude have you seen a foxbody? They have sooo much room in the front and back. With some work you could do it. And the b18 are tanks. I would love having something more powerful, but its 4 engines I would take a tank over power any day. It would be such a unique car. No one had ever done something like this before. I want to something insane, something that's no one has done before. I want to make a name for myself. I want kids to tell stories of the maniac car builder who put 4 Honda engines into a mustang.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Dude have you seen a foxbody? They have sooo much room in the front and back. With some work you could do it. And the b18 are tanks. I would love having something more powerful, but its 4 engines I would take a tank over power any day. It would be such a unique car. No one had ever done something like this before. I want to something insane, something that's no one has done before. I want to make a name for myself. I want kids to tell stories of the maniac car builder who put 4 Honda engines into a mustang.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: