REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 12-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Any furnace/HVAC guys here?

When we had our pre-purchase inspection done, one thing the inspector noted was this spot on the furnace where the COIT guys had cut the duct open (see arrow), then closed it back up. He said there should be a small-ish hole there for proper air flow, but that seems a little odd to me, this being the main heat duct. Opinions, anyone?

2014-12-10 14.55.38a.jpg
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

There shouldn't be a hole there. There is no need for the heated air to be mixed.

On a side note, that looks like the original furnace that was installed when the house was new (probably 40 year old Airco, which are incredible energy-inefficient, probably 50% efficiency). It would be a good idea to have an appliance tech to check and make sure the heat exchanger isn't damaged and leaking carbon monoxide.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
The inspector is on glue.

If you had a hole there it would just puke air out into the basement, and lead to a pressure loss in supply to the rest of the house.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote