REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Hesitant to decorate for christmas (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700242-hesitant-decorate-christmas.html)

girlcrazy_420 12-15-2014 09:23 PM

Hesitant to decorate for christmas

Wasnt sure where to post...

We (the girl and I) rent a basement suit. We have our own seperate entrance and driveway. Anyways, During October we where setting up for halloween as we enjoy the kids knocking on our door and they (the tenents upstairs which are the landlords kids) politely but firmly told us they do not want us inviting the devil onto their property, or want us celebrating something that they strongly dissagree with due to beliefs. We kindly removed our decorations, and went out for dinner on Halloween instead. Disappointing because we did not even wear the costumes we bought.

But...

Now is christmas! We have setup our tree but we have since closed all of our curtains because we do not want them to know how much we love christmas. Usually we would have things in the windows, door coverings, wreaths, decorations on our vehicles and walkway and so-on but now we feel ashamed of celebrating christmas. They said its silly that anyone would celebrate Christs Birth in December when in fact no-one knows when he was born. I dont mind other religions, but even the chinese and hindu religions celebrate christmas. Now, I'm feeling ashamed of setting up my decorations, playing christmas music etc. Heck, we snuck the tree in the house, and its artificial!!

murd0c 12-15-2014 09:28 PM

It's Christmas and your house so you can setup what you want. Enjoy the holidays and setup as much as you want because they can't do a thing and that includes halloween.

They are your landlords and not your parents don't be ashamed and set it up as much as you like. Seeing this makes me made and also upset you let them walk over you during halloween... Guess what this is Canada and you can celebrate what you want , when you want and they can't do or say shit plain and simple!!!

Just because you rent someone you don't have to live by their rules... It's your home, you pay the bills and what they did is not right at all..Have fun enjoy the season like you should because its your right!!!

Who gives a fuck what they say.. Its everyones country and if they don't respect it they should get the fuck out or mind their on business... I fucken hate people like that so fucken much and I'm pissed the fuck off right now and feel bad and sorry for you that you feel that way. If you lived by me I would come over decorate your house and sing xmas music and snap if they said anything about it..

I keep on adding to this cause I'm straight up mad about it right now I fucken hate people like that fucken selfish fucken idiots!!!

hchang 12-15-2014 09:29 PM

What the fuck

girlcrazy_420 12-15-2014 09:39 PM

murdoc, you made me feel Hella better.

snails 12-15-2014 09:40 PM

the only things landlords can do is stop you from doing anything illegal and even then its a lengthy process

unless you guys made some sort of a written agreement previous to you renting then there is nothing they should even be able to confront you about.

murd0c 12-15-2014 09:40 PM

How old are they fucken idiots? are they from Canada? do they do weird religious shit? like holy fuck you should know better then this and stick up for yourself and not back down and hide. They can't evict you for this and legally they can't even say that... Fuck fuck fuck.. What is this world coming to with fucken idiots thinking they can do/say that can bust up your xmas spirit that you guys should be excited about

murd0c 12-15-2014 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 (Post 8569740)
murdoc, you made me feel Hella better.

don't let those fucken idiots get to you bro... Have fun and enjoy it the way you should. I take it you and your girl are super young and you should be excited to decorate and celebrate what the season is about... I'm happy you posted this and said something cause I would never want to hear someone feel the way you guys currently do cause you don't deserve that at all. no one does!!

Gucci Mane 12-15-2014 09:50 PM

Since you're renting a suite in their house, you can only go so far. If they ask you to not put up things on the outside of their house then you probably should abide by that. As far as the inside goes, go wild with decorations. They can't stop you from doing that..

StylinRed 12-15-2014 09:52 PM

Sure you can decorate the outside (if its not against your rental agreement) but expect an eviction notice

Mr.C 12-15-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8569753)
Sure you can decorate the outside (if its not against your rental agreement) but expect an eviction notice

For something marginally religious? Sounds like a fun court case!

murd0c 12-15-2014 10:08 PM

I wouldn't even call it marginally religious any more and even if it was its within your rights to express it the way you like.. Christmas is about spending time with family, friends and people you love and the giving.. Renting a play includes the other side as well especially with a separate entrance. Put a wreath on the door and enjoy the way you should. You have nothing to hide and be ashamed about at all.

StylinRed 12-15-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.C (Post 8569756)
For something marginally religious? Sounds like a fun court case!

Who's to say why they evict? They can just file the form to evict for personal use, tenants get 60days to clear out... or if they bide their time as long as the Tennant is 1 day late on paying their rent... bam 30day notice

Or they can argue that they're being disruptive to other tenants or the landlord

Its much too sloppy to mess with a landlord if you're not willing to be a complete ass either

4444 12-15-2014 10:41 PM

what religion are they, out of interest

you can not be forced to remove decorations from the inside of your house, you have freedom of religion and expression within your 4 walls (unless they have some bat shit crazy clause in the tenancy agreement).

outside, well, personally i'd just respect their wishes bc i'm a nice person and want to keep the peace, but i'm not that big on xmas. but def. go to town indoors and don't worry about closing your curtains

Inaii 12-15-2014 10:59 PM

My guess is Roman Catholic. My step mother converted to Catholicism when I was about 7 or 8 and I remember we weren't allowed to take part in Halloween that year. She created some sort of "Jesus Day" I think is what she called it so we still got candy but couldn't dress up or go outside.

sdubfid 12-15-2014 11:02 PM

I think its time you invite uncle eddy over

Gucci Mane 12-15-2014 11:03 PM

in other christmas related news,

Fla. atheist places 'Festivus' pole in capitol building - NY Daily News

:rofl:

CRS 12-15-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8569779)
My guess is Roman Catholic. My step mother converted to Catholicism when I was about 7 or 8 and I remember we weren't allowed to take part in Halloween that year. She created some sort of "Jesus Day" I think is what she called it so we still got candy but couldn't dress up or go outside.

RC but doesn't want to celebrate Christmas?

Don't think so.

Inaii 12-15-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8569785)
RC but doesn't want to celebrate Christmas?

Don't think so.

He didn't really make that clear. All he said was they didn't appreciate the halloween stuff. Made it sound like they're afraid to find out if it's acceptable or not, not that they had said they don't celebrate christmas.

If that's the case, then who knows.

fliptuner 12-15-2014 11:22 PM

Jehovah's Witnesses? Seventh Day Adventists?

Mr.HappySilp 12-15-2014 11:24 PM

Just decorate inside. You rented the place you can do what you want. If they come and give you shit. Just tell them fuck off and tell them if they hate Xmas so much they should stay home and not go anywhere this month. Because there are Xmas tress and decorations in every single mall, there are Xmas tress being setup in stores and ppl dress as Santa taking pics with kids. Oh and tell them not to have turkey either and not watch TV because there are most likely going to be some movie about Xmas.

You rented the basement you have 100% as to how you to decorate it.

CRS 12-16-2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8569789)
He didn't really make that clear. All he said was they didn't appreciate the halloween stuff. Made it sound like they're afraid to find out if it's acceptable or not, not that they had said they don't celebrate christmas.

If that's the case, then who knows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 (Post 8569729)
Now is christmas! We have setup our tree but we have since closed all of our curtains because we do not want them to know how much we love christmas. Usually we would have things in the windows, door coverings, wreaths, decorations on our vehicles and walkway and so-on but now we feel ashamed of celebrating christmas. They said its silly that anyone would celebrate Christs Birth in December when in fact no-one knows when he was born. I dont mind other religions, but even the chinese and hindu religions celebrate christmas. Now, I'm feeling ashamed of setting up my decorations, playing christmas music etc. Heck, we snuck the tree in the house, and its artificial!!

I don't know. Maybe I'm just interpreting it differently but it seems like they're a bunch of debbie downers.

multicartual 12-16-2014 02:40 AM

Fuck just put this shit on as loud as you want while putting up Christmas stuff, NOBODY will fuck with you!

GLOW 12-16-2014 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8569772)
what religion are they, out of interest

you can not be forced to remove decorations from the inside of your house, you have freedom of religion and expression within your 4 walls (unless they have some bat shit crazy clause in the tenancy agreement).

outside, well, personally i'd just respect their wishes bc i'm a nice person and want to keep the peace, but i'm not that big on xmas. but def. go to town indoors and don't worry about closing your curtains

even if there is a clause that's bad shit crazy, if it goes against their right as a tenant i believe it's not enforceable.

+1 on going to town inside. might want to avoid use any of that spray on snow shit, they might say it can cause damage to property or cannot be removed, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight_KB (Post 8569781)

http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/1...dToSquare=true

underscore 12-16-2014 06:42 AM

Fuck these clowns, I'd put up twice as much Christmas stuff now to make up for the removed Halloween decorations (Rona has a ton of stuff on clearance right now too). PM me if you need a hand and we can make that place visible from outer space.

If they somehow try to evict you for it I'd just leave, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life when you clearly love these holidays so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8569733)
They are your landlords and not your parents don't be ashamed and set it up as much as you like.

I read the OP again and they aren't even the landlords, they're other tenants who happen to be the landlords kids. Which makes this even worse. It also doesn't mean the landlords share their kids beliefs, so they might just tell their kids to pond sand if they complain.

Inaii 12-16-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8569798)
I don't know. Maybe I'm just interpreting it differently but it seems like they're a bunch of debbie downers.

Thanks, I missed that part when I read it :) In that case, they just sound like jerks out to ruin everyone else's fun. Maybe their parents didn't hug them enough as children, or buy them the stuff they wanted and this is how they rebel.