REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 12-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Unauthorized suite in new duplex (Van)

Looked at a new duplex today that has a 2 bedroom unauthorized suite today (Vancouver) and the real estate agent recommended that if I were to buy the unit that I not rent it out in the first year in case the city comes to inspect it. Not renting it out the suite in the first year makes the purchase a no go for me (we could afford it financially but I wouldn't want to stretch like that).

The suite is already roughed in as a separate unit, the only thing missing is a door to the rest of the house and a vent for the kitchen fan. It was clearly built to be rented out.

So...

Is his concern a fairly serious one or a cautious one? Is it realistic for me to have the city approve it since it wasn't part of the plan in the first place and it's new?

thanks,
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
you can try and have the city approve it, but im not sure on what the fees are. however, if its roughed in and the real estate agent does recommend not to rent it out, i say the city have probably already denied the request.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
a family member made a house w/ suite in east van, and about a year later the city came by to inspect it. We just put the tenants up in a hotel for the weekend and removed the cabinets -- got it approved and re-installed all the cabinets. Maybe a day's worth of work max
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Yea I'm not sure on the costs and process after the fact but here's the process had it been done from the start.

Build and legalize your basement or secondary suite | City of Vancouver

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
a family member made a house w/ suite in east van, and about a year later the city came by to inspect it. We just put the tenants up in a hotel for the weekend and removed the cabinets -- got it approved and re-installed all the cabinets. Maybe a day's worth of work max
Thanks, it sounds like the process is a bit of theatre. It seems from this and others that the city is caught between a rock and a hard place - they need more housing so don't want to force people out of their homes but they also want to get compliance and extra revenue - so they are just doing cursory checks to see if a kitchen is in place.

The zoning for the unit I'm looking at allows for a suite and I think it wouldn't be too hard to get it approved so I'll look into it as the "theatre" will be harder to do with this unit.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,179 Posts
The fact that it is a new duplex, and yet the suite is not authorized, suggests that there is something that the builder did not include to make it authorized.

So assuming you buy the unit, you can either:

1) pay for the work & fees to get it authorized, and never have to worry about the city, or

2) rent it out eventually, but run the risk of having the city knock on your door one day

There are pros and cons to having an authorized suite - the question is how much hassle are you willing to put up with? You can do all the work now, or do nothing now, and maybe have to do work later? Personally, I hate being hassled so I made sure my suite was authorized.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Wait - I think you mean the house inspection got approved, but not the suite. Important distinction there!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 01-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #8

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
To have an authorized suite could mean big bucks on redoing your electrical depending on how cheap your builder was. (They will usually try to save money wherever they can) That stuff has to be all separated from the main panel onto a sub if it isn't already...
Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
To have an authorized suite could mean big bucks on redoing your electrical depending on how cheap your builder was. (They will usually try to save money wherever they can) That stuff has to be all separated from the main panel onto a sub if it isn't already...
When you say big bucks do you mean a few grand or much more? I plan on having it inspected by the city as a condition of purchase but is there a way for me to tell when I see the house again? My father in law was an electrician by trade in the past if that helps.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:55 AM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I'd take your agent's words seriously. I actually rent an unauthorized suite (financial stability is an unknown concept to me) and the City has been sending us inspection notices recently. The landlord's been renting this place out for a few years already, so I'd take your agent's warnings further than just the first year. I'm already looking for a new place in case my landlord gets into trouble with the City.

Redoing the electrical system is going to be a major hassle, regardless of the price. I wouldn't be optimistic about it.
Parts > Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
+1 and you have to make windows in every room (not 100% sure) among a few other things. Also your property tax will go up, hydro etc etc will also go up as well. If in the future you decide not to rent it out anymore and wants to pay a lower property tax you have to inform the city and they will come and cut some plumbing to the rental unit.

Also for cable/Interent. If they see you have a seperate kitchen/stove they will cut off the service to the basement unit and they tenate is require to setup their own acct or you have to pay for 2 accounts. This happen to my parent's house. Basically, the tenate was getting Internet/cable with us. They decided to get their own Internet and when Shaw came they cut off their cable service. So now if they want cable they have to pay for it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #12

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
There are lots of sticky points in an unauthorized suite.

The worst case I've seen and heard about, is the city coming by and denying the suite, and having the inspector there to supervisor the kitchen to be dis-assembled.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i've got an unauthorized suite that i'll be renting out soon....anyone have links for the actual requirements??

i'm not going to be going through the process of legalizing it but i'm curious on the official requirements
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Not sure about all the requirements but a few things I can remember is there needs to be a fire resistance (15 min I believe) separating the suite from the main house, a separate electrical panel, windows and doors of certain size
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

ha serious they have to have their own breaker panel?? makes sense for convenience/maintenance issues i guess

i was aware of the fire door requirement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #16

The Secondary Suite Guide lists some basic requirements.

Can't find a listing of the "official" requirements though... Because the city wants to come check out your place first I bet!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #17

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
From Gumby's link above they either did a piss poor job of wording it or they are only requiring a smoke seal which if true is not only surprising but ridiculous IMO. I wouldn't put in a suite without a minimum of 1 hour separation in my house.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #18
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Unauthorized suite in new duplex (Van)

my parents house went through a secondary suite house inspection last year. they have an asshole neighbour that works for the city so they decided to go through the process of legalizing their rental suite to avoid future issues.

from what I remember:
- there needs to be a self closing fireproof door that separates the suite to the main house
- the suite has to be >400 sqft
- the main entrance door to the suite requires a peephole
- if it's in a basement, there needs to be a minimum height requirement of how much below the ground it is
- doesn't require own breaker panel as some people have said

I can't remember any other stuff right now but if there's any questions, I'm sure I can ask my folks
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote