REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #26
I am Hook'd on RS

Bacchus tonight!
Advertisement
hedonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #27
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Joe Fortes has always been a solid choice for me.

It was pretty successful last year so Ebisu will be participating in Dine-Out again too! It's an incredible deal for the $28 option! Lobster, Smoked Duck, Sablefish, Rack of Lamb.
your description sounds quite appealing, any sneak-peak pics to vouch for the quality?

might make it out this weekend

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #28
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I have a booking for 2 ppl at West tomorrow night at 545, pm me if you want the booking.

I can't make it.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Anyone wants to take one of my bookings?

Table for 2; Market by Jean-Georges Restaurant - Shangri-La Hotel January 30 @730pm

If no one wants it, I will just cancel it on open-table.

Pm me.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #30
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
White spot had better food than black and blue

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #31
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
White spot had better food than black and blue
What did you order?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #32
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Booked for coast this week and salmon house next week.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #33
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
-booked Dine Out at the Burnaby Mountain golf course clubhouse:

Burnaby Mountain Clubhouse - Vancouver, British Columbia
Old 01-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #34
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
What did you order?
dine out menu

appie: soup and salad... soup was luke warm, and the salad used used iceberg lettuce that looked like it came from peking duck taco. Added calamari from the regular menu and it was just bar food

main course: jerk chicken on a pile of vomit and a piece of tenderloin with yam fries. Added fries, decided to take them home and the waiter didn't put the sauce in there...

desert: something from costco

never again

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #35
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
No surprise with yray's experience.

High calibre restaurants normally compromise their quality of food/service and bank on the volume to break even during Dine Out.

I am not a true believer of Dine Out as it does not reflect the true quality of a restaurant's capabilities. Keep in mind, there are always exceptions to this.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #36
I'm invisible

I went to Yew at Four Seasons downtown around 645pm and it wasn't busy as I thought it would be..
Old 01-17-2015, 11:00 PM   #37
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
your description sounds quite appealing, any sneak-peak pics to vouch for the quality?

might make it out this weekend
Sorry no pics right now, it's been off-the-hook busy since Dine-Out started and haven't had time to snap a pic. I'll see if I can get one in the next day or two. It's definitely worth it though, most places would charge $20+ just for the entree alone.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #38
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Had dine out ebisu.

Lobster salad is very bland. Tuna tataki had very awesome flavour and I recommend this for apps.

Rack of lamb was very good in terms of pricing and flavour.

For dessert, get the deep fried banana. Me and a friend tried the green tea mouse? And it was super bitter. Couldn't finish half of it.

Was very satisfied with the waiters and hostess on robson. Always checked up the table every few minutes. The lamb is actually better than I imagined.

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #39
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Went to Romer's bar in Kitsilano this past weekend. Had to wait for about half an hour as the gf forgot to reserve.... Burgers were great, tasted fresh. It's a small place so reserve and don't wait outside in the rain like we did.
DC2aDDicT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #40

Ebisu on Broadway.

I got to try a lot since my mother coudpnt each much. I pretty much ate her portions as well.

Miso Clam Soup was good, the clams were tasty and the soup was not overly salty. The other soup was disappointing in terms of the size of shrimp and shrooms. Nothing like the picture at all. Taste was pretty good as well. Liked the clam better.

Had both garden and sashimi salad. Nothing special here. The sashimi was decent but small and thin. You only got four pieces.

Takoyaki was delicious, and the salmon carpaccio was not bad. Nothing that screams wow at me.

Sushi entree was good. I had to pay a lot extra to get imperial rice. Had to add $7.50 to get it for the crunch munch roll (forced to upgrade to 8 pcs) and 0.25 per piece of nigiri. The sashimi was average but I did enjoy the crunch munch roll. Not quite worth the $12.95 tag.

Yakiudon was an absolute delight. No complaints here. Seasoned well with good flavors had me wanting more. The sushi had me craving Sushi California since Ebisu's wasn't all that great tasting.

Had ice cream tempura and regular green tea ice cream. I liked the green tea better. The tempura was soft and under was vanilla ice cream. Coma inducing. Comes with chi plate driZzle, whipped cream, and strawberries. The green tea ice cream was your standard, with whipped cream and mint with a strawberry.

Was it worth the $28 per person? No, you are paying for them taking away your plate after each tiny, clean meal, and for their decent water/tea service.

If you are wanting imperial rice sushi, go try some at sushi California. Ebisu is nothing special when it comes to sushi, and over priced as well. Go here for their happy hour and late night. You may still be disappointed with portion sizes as my friend was the other time we went. Other than that, I think the only reason I was stuffed is because I basically had 1.5 of a dine out.

Hurricane Grill Yaletown $18. Worth it. Regular cactus club/moxies style food.

Clam chowder was good tasting with an average amount of stuff in the soup. Salad was not overdressed but more than I would like.

Pork tenderloin was pre cut but cooked nicely. Lacked a bit of flavor but that's just me. I feel like a lot of cream and butter was added to the mashed potatoes and mushrooms to make up for it. But for the price they weren't overly dry. A little chewy though (steak).

Desserts were too sweet. Chocolate mousse left me with an overly sweetened mouth I couldn't get rid of. Creme brule was your average one. Desserts were small so that's good (or bad).

Would come back for that, but not forcing down the desserts may not give you your moneys worth.
AudiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #41
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Took my wife and son to the Cannibal Café for lunch on Saturday. I have never been before and with the DOV menu $18.00, I got a meat sauce poutine, a cheese burger and a chocolate Mousse for dessert, it was a bit sweet for my liking. My wife had the salad, turkey burger and cake for dessert. The boy had something off the kids menu, more then enough for him and well priced under $6.00 I think? They had really good fries.

Overall was a good lunch experience and I would return.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #42
I subscribe to Revscene

How'd you like the burger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Took my wife and son to the Cannibal Café for lunch on Saturday. I have never been before and with the DOV menu $18.00, I got a meat sauce poutine, a cheese burger and a chocolate Mousse for dessert, it was a bit sweet for my liking. My wife had the salad, turkey burger and cake for dessert. The boy had something off the kids menu, more then enough for him and well priced under $6.00 I think? They had really good fries.

Overall was a good lunch experience and I would return.
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #43
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Made a reservation for Ebisu on Robson tomorrow night. First time at Ebisu ever. looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up on the apps and lamb Verdasco.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #44
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
Had dine out ebisu.
Lobster salad is very bland. Tuna tataki had very awesome flavour and I recommend this for apps.
Rack of lamb was very good in terms of pricing and flavour.
For dessert, get the deep fried banana. Me and a friend tried the green tea mouse? And it was super bitter. Couldn't finish half of it.
Was very satisfied with the waiters and hostess on robson. Always checked up the table every few minutes. The lamb is actually better than I imagined.
Thanks for the feedback!
I just ordered the Lobster salad again and you are right it's missing something. We will work to re-tune the salad tonight!
Also the Green Tea Mousse will be re-evaluated tonight as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiFreak View Post
Ebisu on Broadway.

I got to try a lot since my mother coudpnt each much. I pretty much ate her portions as well.

Miso Clam Soup was good, the clams were tasty and the soup was not overly salty. The other soup was disappointing in terms of the size of shrimp and shrooms. Nothing like the picture at all. Taste was pretty good as well. Liked the clam better.

Had both garden and sashimi salad. Nothing special here. The sashimi was decent but small and thin. You only got four pieces.

Takoyaki was delicious, and the salmon carpaccio was not bad. Nothing that screams wow at me.

Sushi entree was good. I had to pay a lot extra to get imperial rice. Had to add $7.50 to get it for the crunch munch roll (forced to upgrade to 8 pcs) and 0.25 per piece of nigiri. The sashimi was average but I did enjoy the crunch munch roll. Not quite worth the $12.95 tag.

Yakiudon was an absolute delight. No complaints here. Seasoned well with good flavors had me wanting more. The sushi had me craving Sushi California since Ebisu's wasn't all that great tasting.

Had ice cream tempura and regular green tea ice cream. I liked the green tea better. The tempura was soft and under was vanilla ice cream. Coma inducing. Comes with chi plate driZzle, whipped cream, and strawberries. The green tea ice cream was your standard, with whipped cream and mint with a strawberry.

Was it worth the $28 per person? No, you are paying for them taking away your plate after each tiny, clean meal, and for their decent water/tea service.

If you are wanting imperial rice sushi, go try some at sushi California. Ebisu is nothing special when it comes to sushi, and over priced as well. Go here for their happy hour and late night. You may still be disappointed with portion sizes as my friend was the other time we went. Other than that, I think the only reason I was stuffed is because I basically had 1.5 of a dine out.
Thanks for this review too! I will pass this on to the Broadway manager there to tweak!
But honestly, in my personal opinion, recommending Sushi California is like a low-blow haha, is this the one just east of Cambie?... I went there once and almost threw up eating the Chirashi Don. The fish was definitely not fresh, possibly reflected in the pricing. Might have been just that day but I can't possibly recommend Sushi California over Ebisu.
For straight up sushi I would suggest Kishimoto (Commercial Dr.), Hanako (Surrey)
Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #45
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
Going to Ebisu on Robson this Sunday. Hopefully your menu will be re-tuned by then!

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
LsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #46
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
Went to dine out at Chambar on Sunday and everything was amazing. Great service, chill atmosphere, and delicious food.

Some pics off my gf's IG:

COQUILLES ST. JACQUES A LA ‘BOB’ Pan seared scallops, mint pea puree, tandoori papadum, pickled grapes.

SALADE D’HIVER Macerated kale, Belgian endive, sunchokes, poached pear emulsion, shaved feta, tahini dressing.

TRIO DE PORC Tenderloin, pulled pork croquette & spiced sausage, brussel sprout, watermelon radish, tamarind glaze.

CURRY D’OMBLE DE L’ARCTIQUE Roasted arctic char, parsnip & miso curry, kale, sorrel, fresh pomegranate, pine nuts.

LA BARRE DE CHOCOLATE Hazelnut praline chocolate mousse bar, sherry vinegar, burnt cinnamon milk foam.

GATEAUX DE CHÈVRE Chèvre cheesecake, speculoos, green apple sorbet, quince caramel.

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
LsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #47
Ebisu Boss

My personal favourite dessert is the Toasted Banana Bread
RS Secret Special: If you don't have a sweet tooth, I'll let you change the dessert to a beer or cocktail.

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718

Last edited by Obsideon; 01-20-2015 at 08:09 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #48
Ebisu Boss

As promised, some quick snaps of the dine-out
Re-tuned Lobster Salad

Lamb

Toasted Banana Bread
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #49
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxcrusader View Post
Made a reservation for Ebisu on Robson tomorrow night. First time at Ebisu ever. looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up on the apps and lamb Verdasco.
I'll be here, say hi if you can
Ask for Deon, not Obsideon
Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Thanks for the feedback!
I just ordered the Lobster salad again and you are right it's missing something. We will work to re-tune the salad tonight!
Also the Green Tea Mousse will be re-evaluated tonight as well!

Thanks for this review too! I will pass this on to the Broadway manager there to tweak!
But honestly, in my personal opinion, recommending Sushi California is like a low-blow haha, is this the one just east of Cambie?... I went there once and almost threw up eating the Chirashi Don. The fish was definitely not fresh, possibly reflected in the pricing. Might have been just that day but I can't possibly recommend Sushi California over Ebisu.
For straight up sushi I would suggest Kishimoto (Commercial Dr.), Hanako (Surrey)
I will try that place. I actually had Sushi California today, and the food was decent for what you paid. I got the deluxe sashimi and no complaints. The only thing was some sand in a piece of my red snapper. The tuna pieces were large and so we're the salmon (the more expensive the sashimi, the smaller the pieces). The simple ones were bigger, almost twice the size. I liked their cones due to a low to moderate amount of rice in proportion to the rest of the cone, and they're pretty cheap at 2.95 and 3.95 for most of them. Ebisu would charge 4.95 and up I believe, plus $1 extra for imperial rice, versus $0.50 for sushi California. Two for the price of one cone basically.

I have yet to try a lot of the sashimi at Ebisu, since it is so expensive. The sashimi from the salad I had at dine out was not enough to sway me in terms of quantity, price, and justifiable difference.
AudiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote