REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Removing paint scratches

Friend's car had its paint scratched by the pipe of the vacuum machine at the Self Service Car Wash in Royal Oak.

We don't have any prior experience in car detailing. Had a quick look at amazon and saw polishers of a wide price range. From Black & Decker WP900 6-Inch Random Orbit Waxer/Polisher - Power Polishing Tools - Amazon.com to PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher - Power Polishing Tools - Amazon.com

Wondering if a cheap one will suffice, or we need to go for the more expensive one. And what could we expect of the outcome.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-01-10 (1).jpg (81.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-01-10 (2).jpg (98.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-01-10.jpg (83.2 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement

Last edited by N52B30; 01-10-2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Adding question
N52B30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Try going to Crappy Tire and buying "Quixx" scratch remover. It's a 3-step process (wet sand with very fine sandpaper, polish, polish again) that removes most fine scratches.

Last time I bought it, it was less than $20, and did a pretty decent job especially after I waxed it. If you're wondering, I used it under the door handles - where people typically scratch with their finger nails when pulling the handle - and those scratches pretty much disappeared afterwards.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:07 AM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
Before I'd go the wet sanding route, especially if you haven't done it before, I'd grab a tube of "Scratch X" from can time. Super easy to use and actually has done me quite well in the past.
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:08 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
^stuff like this I always wonder. Do you just apply it once or do you have to apply it every few months
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
^stuff like this I always wonder. Do you just apply it once or do you have to apply it every few months
Scratch-x is a polish, so it will or remove fine scratches and swirls. I've had better luck using Meguiars Ultimate Compound, by hand, to remove larger scratches, scuffs, and paint transfer.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #6
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
the guys in this section should be able to answer this:

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech - REVscene Automotive Forum

having said that, i think mothers pre wax cleaner would be a starting point with most of this, then work your way up with more aggressive stuff. always start with something light first because the goal is to take out the scratches by removing as little of the clearcoat as possible.

i am worried about the scratches in the last pic however (ie. the one with the camera reflection)... can you catch a fingernail in those?

also, what kind of car is this? i am guessing it is a euro... need to know the make to determine if it is a hard or soft paint finish.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Yeah those scratches aren't too deep that you're going to need a DA polisher or any sandpaper. Ultimate compound will buff that right out like new. You can use the autoglym hand applicator or just get a microfiber and buff by hand.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

yah DA polisher with some meguiar 105 and 205 will take those scratches off

I use the PC 7424XP
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Why don't you just take it to a detailing shop instead of buying a polisher if you don't plan on using it again. I am sure they could spot polish that in a few mins. Proper detailing equipment isn't cheap if you want quality tools and polishes/waxes. If not, you could probably polish it out with a bit of elbow grease by hand.
Altoids94 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

i am worried about the scratches in the last pic however (ie. the one with the camera reflection)... can you catch a fingernail in those?

also, what kind of car is this? i am guessing it is a euro... need to know the make to determine if it is a hard or soft paint finish.
Would you kindly explain what is special about the scratches in the last pic that you saw?

The car is a newer E90 3-series bimmer in black sapphire.
N52B30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
the scratches appear very white in the photo. sometimes it could mean that the scratch had gone past the clear and into the color coat of the paint finish. if that is the case i don't think you can buff those out. but without seeing it in person and seeing it my fingernail can catch the scratch to see how deep my concerns might not apply.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quixx from Canadian Tire works quite well actually. I've had good success with it. Just needs some serious elbow grease but it works well for the price.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
DA and some compound would take away 80-90% of that off
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote