REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #101
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
the news story i watched on tv said that target might just ship their unsold inventory back across the border depending on how great the losses are compared to just having a fire sale here.
But a lot of products have English and French on the packaging.

Shopping at Target was like Shopping in a store in the 80's. No idea what they had and no idea what it would cost. The only time I ever shopped at Target when they had something on clearance. Why would I pay regular price for something when I am buying other stuff @ 50% off.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #102
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Nordstroms will also need to be careful not to just take their US formula and assume it will work here, Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew will both put up a fair fight against the US luxury retailer.

Holt went as far as buying out Sportchek's lease at Pacific center and will be expanding into that space to offer similar square footage to the Nordstrom flagship at the other end of the mall.

I went to the Calgary store after they opened, and it is no where near the selection of even their Bellevue store (not even in the same league as their downtown flagship, or michigan avenue store in Chicago). There was a lot of broken collections, and not much in the terms of premier brands, for example the selection of Canali was no where near Harry Rosen's levels.

I hope Nordstrom succeed in Canada as I shop with them in the US quite frequently.

I hope so too!! I love Nordstrom Rack.. it's comparable to winners Nordstrom just has a better variety of brands.
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #103
RS controls my life!

Sooo I went into Target last night and they shelves were 60% empty but they don't have ANY sales, At all.. maybe they're packing their shit up and only having like a 1 day clearance sale closer to the end??

also there's a rumour going around that IKEA will be taking Targets place on the island and hiring all the target employees to work for them.

I really hope they do the Island needs an IKEA

Goodlife is looking into the locations as well.
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #104
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i work at central city and the target here is business as usual (relatively speaking). they were still stocking shelves yesterday...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #105
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Ikea and Goodlife have both been mentioned. But Ikea said they aren't likely to be a fit as their full store is 2-3 times the square footage that Target offers, and their other plan is to open more of a shipping outpost location in places that dont need a full store, but those stores are 1/3rd the square footage of the Target stores.

Goodlife doesnt need 150k square feet.

My guess is it wont be one brand that moves into all the locations. It will likely be a city by city thing where certain stores need to upgrade, and will fit in. And most of the stores will be split up into smaller stores. Its going to be hard to fill 130+ locations that size

You don't realize, but 150k square feet is fucking massive. That is full store Walmart or Costco or Super Store or Home Depot size. There aren't alot of retailers in Canada with stores that big, and most of the ones that exist, are probably keeping their locations. Average Canadian Tire is about 52k I did some reading and it looks like more large stores are actually planning on opening smaller 15k square foot localized stores, with more of an emphasis on online ordering pickup, than full inventory.

Last edited by RRxtar; 01-22-2015 at 11:01 AM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #106
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
are there any updates on this?
or did the sales start? I haven't been by target since this was announced.

they probably wont be able to sell everything so I'm hoping they'll just ship back what doesn't sell on clearance.
there may have been haven't heard anything on the news. but this is all i could find on google just now:

http://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/...o_three_weeks/

Quote:
If you caught wind of Target's impending shutdown in Canada and thought to yourself "finally, now I'll be able to get some of those deals they kept promising," your schadenfreude is about to hit fever pitch in the coming weeks. The company has begun telling customers via Twitter that liquidation of the stock in their 133 stores (including nine GTA locations) is set to begin in the next two to three weeks.

As stock is sold off, the company adds, stores will remain open on a case by case basis, with the liquidation projected to take between 16 and 20 weeks. (They also won't accept returns once liquidation begins, so if you have anything to take back, do it now.) The company projected losses from the Canadian pullout as totaling $600 million - but hey, their massive loss could be your moderate gain (deeply discounted sweatpants and slow cookers, ahoy).

otherwise, the only other thing i caught was that sears was having job fairs for target employees:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/17...nada-employees

but i thought sears wasn't do so hot either?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #107
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
RSer's reported 50% off sales at Metro and 70% at Chilliwack.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #108
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Ikea and Goodlife have both been mentioned. But Ikea said they aren't likely to be a fit as their full store is 2-3 times the square footage that Target offers, and their other plan is to open more of a shipping outpost location in places that dont need a full store, but those stores are 1/3rd the square footage of the Target stores.

Goodlife doesnt need 80-150k square feet.

My guess is it wont be one brand that moves into all the locations. It will likely be a city by city thing where certain stores need to upgrade, and will fit in. And most of the stores will be split up into smaller stores.

You don't realize, but 100-150k square feet is fucking massive. That is full size Walmart or Costco size. Average Canadian Tire is about 40k, even Superstore is about 80k. I did some reading and it looks like more large stores are actually planning on opening smaller 15k square foot localized stores, with more of an emphasis on online ordering pickup, than full inventory.
the news mentioned it would only be a mini IKEA store, the island had one before but it was basically a showroom and they'd order everything in after purchase or something like that so it didn't do very well. I'd be happy with that either way I love IKEA. I agree it'll be different for each location. a company would be stupid to buy all 133 stores canada wide.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #109
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

yea i saw this, wonder whats going to fill all those empty stores
boostedcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #110
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Saw this on Twitter

Quote:
Target Canada employees state their Liquidation Sale starts January 30, 2015 and the last day for returns is January 29
Old 01-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #111
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedcivic View Post
yea i saw this, wonder whats going to fill all those empty stores
They may break some of the ones in the mall into smaller CRU's if they can't find a tenant to take the whole space similar to what's going to be happening to Sear's in Richmond Center.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #112

Gregg Steinhafel, lost billions of company's money, still walks away with 61mil pay
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #113
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Went to Target today in Nanaimo and the parking lot was pretty packed. busiest I have seen it. They had 50% off clothes but nothing else at a big discount.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #114
10psi aint enough...

Was at metro target and only a few things are on sale/clearance...
Mostly like last season items or hard to sell items...most stuff are still regular price.

O yah...95% legos are all gone...
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #115
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I heard rumors of UNIQLO opening at the Target space at metro.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #116
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
i find this very difficult to believe as its almost 2 years away still
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #117

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
Source?

The only word I've read on UNIQLO and Canada was that they were opening 2 stores in Toronto in 2016, with possible other stores to follow.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #118

Source is word of mouth with people who work at the mall. I wouldn't put money on it though hence emphasis on the word rumor.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #119
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
fuck...i'm only in for the legos lol
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #120
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
i find this very difficult to believe as its almost 2 years away still
+ the fact UNIQLO doesn't need THAT big of a retail space. Not even in America.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #121

Richmond target looks like they are back in business
Shelves are more stocked than before and nothing is on sale.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #122
Witness protection

weird huh. nothing has changed at the surrey target location either
Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #123
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
Richmond target looks like they are back in business
Shelves are more stocked than before and nothing is on sale.
It's strange. It seems like business as usual lol
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #124
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,496 Times in 555 Posts
I went inside the metrotown Target and they already shut down the Starbucks.
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #125
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Friend from Target Richmond says that liquidation sales will start Thurs Feb 5
Cwift is offline   Reply With Quote