REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Target to discontinue operations in Canada. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700846-target-discontinue-operations-canada.html)

Tim Budong 01-15-2015 05:10 AM

Target to discontinue operations in Canada.

Target Canada | Target Corporation Announces Plans to Discontinue Canadian Operations

5b write off... Hopefully decent sales...as if there is much stock anyways with their never properly stocked stores anyways

quasi 01-15-2015 05:53 AM

They priced themselves out of the market. The few time I've been there almost everything unless on clearance or sale is more then you'd pay at Walmart or your average grocery store. The reason they do well in the States is most things are on the cheap.

Good news for us in Commercial Construction, looks like I'll be bidding on a shit load of renovations again.

StylinRed 01-15-2015 06:04 AM

am surprised they lasted this long

only because they took over a failing company but didn't do anything with it except added more lights and threw their branding over the stores

Habboy 01-15-2015 06:38 AM

Target kicks ASS in the US over the competition. I think they underestimated and miscalculated the Canadian consumer. And ya, looking forward to what they will do with the old stores.

MG1 01-15-2015 06:58 AM

The one at Brentwood never got up and running............ "The war's over, boys! No need to finish that battleship."

Someone fucked up big time....... never try to underestand the complicated minds of Canadians, LOL.

Lesson learned - what works in the US does not mean it'll work up here.

StylinRed 01-15-2015 07:06 AM

Quote:

The company is seeking the court's permission to set up a $70-million fund to ensure all employees affected by the move get at least 16 weeks in severance pay. The stores will remain open while the company completes the liquidation process.
:notbad:

MEXX is also shutting down all stores by the end of Feb

Mexx Canada to liquidate stores before closing by end of February - Business - CBC News

GLOW 01-15-2015 07:18 AM

wasn't expecting to see jacob close down, now mexx...

awaiting zellers-like clearance in target.

yray 01-15-2015 07:19 AM

I just got the target mastercard :pokerface:

dat 5%

Edison_Chen 01-15-2015 07:34 AM

I wonder why many Target stores in Canada are stand alone stores and are not attached to the malls.. The Targets that I go to are all attached to the malls, and even then it's a ghost town.

6o4__boi 01-15-2015 07:36 AM

u have to have seen Mexx closing down
the overall quality was starting to suck...then they have these stupid sales where prices were marked up purposely

60% off the original price of sale items! but the original price is something retarded to begin with

FerrariEnzo 01-15-2015 07:49 AM

hmm.... theres a Mexx outlet near me... time to stock up on shirts.. :fuckyea:

Spoon 01-15-2015 07:53 AM

Went to Target a few nights ago to pick up some eggs. They were out of stock. Seriously? You don't stock enough eggs? :facepalm:

underscore 01-15-2015 08:03 AM

Target is always deserted, I'm not sure what they were thinking as everything they sell is already being sold at other, bigger stores with more selection. What they do carry is usually nice stuff though.

RE-Jo 01-15-2015 08:09 AM

I knew Target Canada was in trouble. I live in Richmond, but will purposely go to Walmart in New west whenever I need something.

MG1 01-15-2015 08:13 AM

When is the new Walmart slated to open in Richmond?

Mr.HappySilp 01-15-2015 08:33 AM

Went to Target a few times. Only buy stuff that's on sale lol.

As for Mexx their stuff is ok but overprice. Overall I think a lot of stores is going to shut down. You either go high end or low end. Never the middle........ Look at forever 21 that store is busy all year round when you compare to say Mexx, Tommy etc etc....... Then you have the high end store. Just seems a the Canadian retail market is shrinking.

Gamed 01-15-2015 08:48 AM

Sony will close all of its stores in Canada: reports | News1130

Nabatron 01-15-2015 08:53 AM

the way I see it when Target came to Canada is majority of the people that you were going to get the same deals as you did in the states. Unfortunately thats not the case to the currency exchange. People noawdays arent dumb they look at the price in Target US and see how cheep it is down there. When Canadians like at the price here they be like wtf. Obviously it will be abit more here since our dollor is shit compared to the states.

Godzira 01-15-2015 08:54 AM

I agree, it was frustrating to go in and see empty shelves, wrong prices on almost everything, and higher prices then walmart..... at least it sounds like they are doing right by their employees though

Nabatron 01-15-2015 09:06 AM

I dont get how a multi million/billion dollar company could not see this happening when they decided to open up in Canada. Any real everage joe could see this being a huge failure. I guess they have a shit ton of money and dont care on what happens with it lol

6o4__boi 01-15-2015 09:18 AM

you'd be surprised with the amount of people in management/executive positions who have no common sense whatsoever

it scares me sometimes.

Mikoyan 01-15-2015 09:29 AM

This was posted in Gawker last year:

Stores have scores of empty shelves, endcaps, sections that could easily be filled with inventory on-hand, however Target DOES NOT WANT US TO FILL THEM. The POG (planogram) must be executed 100% flawlessly - even if it means the shelves are empty because what is supposed to be there isn't on hand right now. In other words, we had way too much of things that we didn't need, and not enough of things we did need. Basics like milk, food or consumables that drive repeat business are always out of stock. Store Leaders would catch major crap if they chose to fill a 4 foot shelf with more pillows (that were in stock) versus leave it empty (because there was no bedding on-hand that was supposed to be put there). Working in the store, we know empty shelves look terrible. Target would not allow us to make the decision to fill a 4 foot shelf.

Why Was Target Canada Such a Disaster?

Hehe 01-15-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabatron (Post 8581448)
I dont get how a multi million/billion dollar company could not see this happening when they decided to open up in Canada. Any real everage joe could see this being a huge failure. I guess they have a shit ton of money and dont care on what happens with it lol

The problem with Target Canada was their incompetence. Their prices are higher than even some mom&pop independent supermarkets let along RCSS or WM.

And they were constantly out of stock or very dated stocks. When I was in Ontario, I used to buy milk from Target every time I went across the border. When Target Canada came, they didn't have the organic milk that I wanted, and even when they finally started carrying it, they were often only a day or two until the expiration date. This was a very sharp contrast comparing to the usually weeks that Target US gave me.

They needed to be another alternative for groceries while having some of their clothing line and stuff to be as their bread and butter. Instead, they set them up as an expensive and yet inconvenient place to shop. After a few times, shopper simply just gave up the idea of doing grocery shoppings at Target and only went there for deals. This is not how you operate a supermarket if people only come to your store for your "loss-leaders".

dachinesedude 01-15-2015 09:47 AM

im sure the business strategy was sound when it was approved by the board, but they fucked up the execution

StylinRed 01-15-2015 09:58 AM

sony was in the process of closing down all their stores for awhile now

their stores used to be cool but they never sold anything below Sony's msrp it seemed and the futureshop/a&b/visions/bestbuy next door had the same items marked down for much less