REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   places to fix or work on your car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700943-places-fix-work-your-car.html)

kkttsang 01-19-2015 06:40 PM

places to fix or work on your car

Looking for a friend does anyone know a garage where people can rent out the space and tools to work on their own cars.

meme405 01-19-2015 07:31 PM

Doesn't exist. The idea has been brought up and even tested elsewhere, unfortunately the liability is simply too high.

tiger_handheld 01-19-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8583316)
Doesn't exist. The idea has been brought up and even tested elsewhere, unfortunately the liability is simply too high.

Wasn't there that Ufix or whatever place? I think they rented space but maybe not tools? I think they were a sponsor too..

!Aznboi128 01-19-2015 07:59 PM

I believed that place closed down due to hazards and liability.

It was in new west by japanoid

Yodamaster 01-20-2015 04:20 PM

Never going to happen on a public scale. Any shops that do rent space only offer it to one or two people for extra cash, and it's for the long term, tools NOT included. Most shop sharing happens between close friends, inviting random people to work on their cars is too much of a risk.

If your driveway isn't good enough, there is no choice but to buy your own tools and rent an adequate shop to work in.

meme405 01-20-2015 07:08 PM

On another note, I have a friend in the air force down in the states, and for a nominal fee, like $5/hour or whatever, they are allowed to use their bases shop to work on their car.

Full lift access, full set of tools, mechanics there helping them out, etc.

Manic! 01-20-2015 10:03 PM

I am a part of a Makerspace in Nanaimo and we have all types of dangerous equipment there including table saws and an industrial grade metal lathe and we have no problems with liability. Every member signs a waiver and we have insurance.

midnight_r 01-21-2015 11:54 AM

This could totally work if bunch of you get together and rent out a storage unit( 3-4guys = $40-60/month) or look for ‘garage rentals’ on CL( which is much cheaper than a storage)
I have 30x18 24hour storage in Richmond where I keep 2 of my project cars for the last 2 years; done all mech and minor body work there as well. Ive purchased generator so I can run my tools, got few ramps from Princess Auto etc. I still have my unit and I am loving it.
You never have to mention to storage admin that you will be working on your rides as long as you don’t do anything shady and don’t store ‘deadly’ chemicals lol
tip: storages out east of Vancouver are obviously ALOT cheaper.

marksport 01-22-2015 08:21 PM

I can probably help out some members here for some small projects at a low fee, tho I'm out in Abbotsford.