REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

places to fix or work on your car

Looking for a friend does anyone know a garage where people can rent out the space and tools to work on their own cars.
Advertisement
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Doesn't exist. The idea has been brought up and even tested elsewhere, unfortunately the liability is simply too high.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Doesn't exist. The idea has been brought up and even tested elsewhere, unfortunately the liability is simply too high.
Wasn't there that Ufix or whatever place? I think they rented space but maybe not tools? I think they were a sponsor too..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I believed that place closed down due to hazards and liability.

It was in new west by japanoid
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Never going to happen on a public scale. Any shops that do rent space only offer it to one or two people for extra cash, and it's for the long term, tools NOT included. Most shop sharing happens between close friends, inviting random people to work on their cars is too much of a risk.

If your driveway isn't good enough, there is no choice but to buy your own tools and rent an adequate shop to work in.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
On another note, I have a friend in the air force down in the states, and for a nominal fee, like $5/hour or whatever, they are allowed to use their bases shop to work on their car.

Full lift access, full set of tools, mechanics there helping them out, etc.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,409 Times in 3,477 Posts
I am a part of a Makerspace in Nanaimo and we have all types of dangerous equipment there including table saws and an industrial grade metal lathe and we have no problems with liability. Every member signs a waiver and we have insurance.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
spammin my services for a case of stella...

This could totally work if bunch of you get together and rent out a storage unit( 3-4guys = $40-60/month) or look for ‘garage rentals’ on CL( which is much cheaper than a storage)
I have 30x18 24hour storage in Richmond where I keep 2 of my project cars for the last 2 years; done all mech and minor body work there as well. Ive purchased generator so I can run my tools, got few ramps from Princess Auto etc. I still have my unit and I am loving it.
You never have to mention to storage admin that you will be working on your rides as long as you don’t do anything shady and don’t store ‘deadly’ chemicals lol
tip: storages out east of Vancouver are obviously ALOT cheaper.

quality > quantity
midnight_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I can probably help out some members here for some small projects at a low fee, tho I'm out in Abbotsford.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote