REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Buying a sofa (anyone experienced?)

I know this probably should go under home and renovation section but there's more traffic here.

Where do you guys usually go for buying a sofa? The big chains like the brick, jysk, etc? or warehouses? or maybe smaller no name stores?

Would appreciate if any experienced folks can chime in on things to look out for when buying a set of sofa.
Advertisement
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
depends on your budget and if you're looking for something to last or something for the short term
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
as Stylin said its about budget and also your style. For the big box stores go in find something you like then go home and read reviews to find out about factory defects and such. Remember the brick will bargain big time and your can easily work out free delivery if you want to go that route
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts

Need I say more?
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Ikea mid range and certain models are actually quite well built and look half decent.

IMO there are a lot of options nowadays in the mid-range section (1.5-3k) so if you have a week or two to shop around then I would just go with the one that you like.

There is a whole row of furniture store on United Blvd that is worth visiting during the weekend.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I recently went to Sears furniture. The one on Bridgeport in Richmond. Got an awesome deal on a sofa that was over 50% off. I suggest you take a look there.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,516 Times in 1,153 Posts
we bought our sectional here and got a really good price on it

Home
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 AM   #8

im guessing you just want some websites to check out? here's a few ranging in price range/styles

http://www.restorationhardware.com/ (traditional)
Mid Century Furniture for your Home and Office | Rove Concepts (modern)
House of Chippendale (custom)
Lison Art Furniture. Home (custom)
Nakasone Japanese Furniture Design _ Japanese woodcraft (custom traditional japanese style furniture)
Inspiration Furniture - Vancouver's Leading Furniture Store for Modern Home & Office Furniture (modern)
Modern Furniture, Home Decor & Home Accessories | West Elm
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...vard+furniture

west broadway/downtown is filled with nice furniture stores as is united blvd. in coquitlam

there are really tonnnnnnnnes of links that we could link here but ye know budget/style needs wants need to be posted
Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #9

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
I wouldn't know, the curb does most of my sofa shopping for me
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #10
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I picked up a stylus ruby sofa and love seat from the liquidator on the cheep.
want to say 1200 for both.

Stylus Ruby Sofa Stylus In Stock Collection Ruby - Fabric Sofa Groups

hit and miss but great deals.
zerobid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
I've been through a number of sofa's, and honestly, i will only ever go the custom route from here on.

I'm a big fan of being able to configure your sofa exactly how you want it.

If you've got a few extra bucks, the Lounge series from C&B is pretty sweet, my most recent sofa is the "tropicana" by Fairmont, the feather blend cushions are unreal lol.

http://www.fairmontdesigns.com/home/...cana-sectional

My sectional w/ ottoman was about 5k, expensive, but it's made in California, from materials sourced domestically, and for me that helped justify the price… but damn it's comfy as a mafaka, I should have this one for a long time.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I bought my sectional sofa from sofa works in coquitlam, it was customized to the material, length, etc that I wanted. Came out to around $1500, 7 years later still in great shape
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #13
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
inb4 pic of casting couch

I like Italian furniture. Materials are so important, both covering and stuctural, so if you have the money, go custom made.

If generic is what you are looking for, I'd say Ikea mid to high end. No mess, no fuss. Wait for sale and you're set.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #14

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
I like furniture from Urban Barn. Their furniture hits the sweet spot in terms of style, quality, and price. Resale value is pretty good too if you get bored with the sofa, or need something for a different space.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
When we bought our house I bought a bunch of furniture from "Robs Furniture" and I would not recommend it. They fucked up our sectional, ordered it the wrong way and we had defects in our dining room table where the finish was bubbling. They had 2 no shows/no calls where they said they would be there to drop off the replacement table, I took time of work both times to meet them. I eventually ended up dealing with the owner of the store and got it resolved but I spent $10,000 in there store and they made it real painful for me when there were issues.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #16
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
inb4 pic of casting couch

I like Italian furniture. Materials are so important, both covering and stuctural, so if you have the money, go custom made.

If generic is what you are looking for, I'd say Ikea mid to high end. No mess, no fuss. Wait for sale and you're set.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,283 Times in 270 Posts
i make fun of my buddy for buying an uncomfortable couch from time to time. the leather is hard and the arm rests are high and angular. he didn't lie down on it when he was testing, just sat on it for a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #18
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
^Man, a sofa is meant for lying down on, among other things......

A married man has to take more interest when choosing a couch/sofa. Advice from someone who has been married for 35+ years. Couches may break, but a marriage should be forever.......... (can't believe I said that). I've spent more time on the couch than I would like to admit. One of the reasons I don't have a dog.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
^Man, a sofa is meant for lying down on, among other things......

A married man has to take more interest when choosing a couch/sofa. Advice from someone who has been married for 35+ years. Couches may break, but a marriage should be forever.......... (can't believe I said that). I've spent more time on the couch than I would like to admit. One of the reasons I don't have a dog.
Wow that is one of the deepest posts I have ever read on RS.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 01-27-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #20
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Really appreciate all the help guys. It's good to hear some personal experiences. I recently got a house and am thinking of putting a set of leather sofa in the family room with TV and a set of non-leather for living room (or a sectional one) where there's a piano. Just thought there might be a bit more of a warm feel to non-leather sofas.

I'm definitely surprised to see how expensive sofas can get. Ideally we would like to keep it under $2k per set of sofa. We really like the ones in the link below but looks like it's going to be difficult to keep them under $2k lol. Also, anyone has experiences with microsuede/microfiber sofas? How's the durability?

A masterful reproduction of the classic Chesterfield style
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #21

For that style i'd recommend http://www.restorationhardware.com/c...055&sale=false

they've got a store on granville in van and it looks like they've even got an outlet down in surrey now too

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...rationhardware

they've got a 20% off sale now and depending on your lengths/fabric/filling you can get the same look for real close to $2k

Quality is great too (although we haven't had them for too long, just a few years)

I don't see them around anymore but there used to be middle-eastern furniture themed stores in malls (about 10+ years ago now?) and some of the furniture they sold was actually of quite high quality and there's LOTS of wiggle room to negotiate... (maybe that's why they closed down, sold em for too cheap) still have a couple of pieces from them that are as good as brand new today..

anyway my point is don't shy away from smaller stores too, try out the furniture, ask questions of where the pieces are made, what materials were used, etc. and you could find some great quality pieces at affordable prices (so that craigslist place you linked to may be a great place)
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #22

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Really appreciate all the help guys. It's good to hear some personal experiences. I recently got a house and am thinking of putting a set of leather sofa in the family room with TV and a set of non-leather for living room (or a sectional one) where there's a piano. Just thought there might be a bit more of a warm feel to non-leather sofas.

I'm definitely surprised to see how expensive sofas can get. Ideally we would like to keep it under $2k per set of sofa. We really like the ones in the link below but looks like it's going to be difficult to keep them under $2k lol. Also, anyone has experiences with microsuede/microfiber sofas? How's the durability?

A masterful reproduction of the classic Chesterfield style
I had a microsuede couch for a few years. It was cool for a while, but I found it hard to keep clean (which is contrary to why people buy them). IMHO, microfibre/suede is dated (consider the number of microfibre/suede couches people are trying to sell on Craigslist). I think you're better off sticking to a high quality conventional fabric or a good top-grain leather.

If you have a truck and are willing to spend some time, there are good deals on quality pieces on Craigslist.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
My purple leather couch lasted 4 years before I had to throw it out from it being banged on too much

The more fun you plan to have with your furniture as a bachelor, the less money you should spend on all furniture.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

ScanDesign is good bought a leather sectional from them 2 years ago and service was top notch.

Saw a leather sofa set at the Brick for my living room it was 3900 I lucked out Liquidation Direct in Burnaby had the same set for 1300 minus the chair. They got it through an insurance claim or something they has 15 sets or something still in Brick packaging and all manufacturer tags matched the Brick. Check out Liquidation Direct hit or miss sometimes but worth checking out

2022 Tacoma TRD Sport - SOLD
2020 Tacoma TRD Sport - SOLD
2017 4Runner Limited - SOLD
2014 Tacoma V6 6spd - SOLD
2012 Honda Pilot EX-L - SOLD
2006 Lexus IS250 RWD- SOLD
2003 Accord Coupe V6 - SOLD
1992 Accord - SOLD

Last edited by gurdeep007; 01-24-2015 at 07:48 PM.
gurdeep007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

High end tranformable sofa? Resource furniture...