REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/mobile-phone-tablet-chat_52/)
-   -   WhatSim (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701055-whatsim.html)

v_tec 01-23-2015 11:03 PM

WhatSim

WhatSim lets you access WhatsApp in 150 countries without a data plan

WhatSim will work with 400 service providers across 150 countries and will cost €10 (£7.55), giving you access to WhatsApp without the need to buy an additional data plan. The SIM will be valid for a year and the renewal price will be the same.

Extra $ for photo / videos.

http://photos.prnewswire.com/pb-larg...jpg?1422086639

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...289267581.html

CRS 01-24-2015 12:01 AM

Meh.

Web based whatsapp takes the cake for me.

SkinnyPupp 01-24-2015 12:13 AM

Interesting. I've seen services here where the only data they offer is for WhatsApp. It's pretty useful for people who would never use their phone for anything other than voice and chat if they're not on wifi.

SkinnyPupp 01-24-2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8585546)
Meh.

Web based whatsapp takes the cake for me.

Web based whatsapp works through your phone's whatsapp (even uses its data). It isn't standalone

Ronin 01-24-2015 12:42 AM

Is this for real? I'd buy one. I'd love to be able to use Whatsapp when I'm off travelling in places where I don't plan on buying a data plan. Sure, I could get it in London but I'm not getting data if I go to...Jamaica.

This is great if you're just planning on using the text service. If you're sharing photos or video, then it gets expensive pretty quick it seems but I think 10GBP is pretty good for a year of Whatsapp throughout the world. I'll buy one the next time I go somewhere that isn't America. This would've been useful for my trip to Jamaica and Mexico a couple months ago.

RE-Jo 03-17-2015 09:57 AM

Does anyone know exactly how it works? I currently have a spare unlocked phone. If I plug in the whatsim, how will the phone know to direct my whatsapp message to my backup phone?

Do I need to at least have whatsapp installed on the spare phone, and linked it to my current phone number?

It's a bit confusing, but I hope someone can answer my question~

TOS'd 03-17-2015 10:23 AM

Poked around the website and there are a lot of restrictions imposed, so this service is not for everyone.

They also rebranded from WhatSim to ChatSim so it covers more apps in addition to WhatsApp (now supporting QQ, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, Skype, Viber, Line, KakaoTalk, Telegram, Snapchat, Twitter, Google Hangouts and Apple iMessage)

One article I ready about this service since I was genuinely interested in seeing if it will work for my needs.

Quote:

Last month, I reported on an interesting new mobile service from Italy’s Zeromobile called WhatSim that promised unlimited WhatsApp messaging anywhere in the world for just €10 ($11.60) a year. Well, a month later — and before it’s even shipped its first SIM card — WhatSim is already changing up its business model to move beyond a single messaging app, but it has also placed some restrictions on the service that make it less attractive to hard-core chatters.

It’s rebranded itself as ChatSim and it’s now supporting QQ, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, Skype, Viber, Line, KakaoTalk, Telegram, Snapchat, Twitter, Google Hangouts and Apple iMessage in addition to WhatsApp. If you want to do anything besides sending text and emoticons on those services, though, you’ll have to buy credits. Each photo, video, voice message costs a different amount of credits, which vary depending on the country you’re in.

Those credits can also translate directly into prepaid megabytes, which you can use for any mobile app or to surf the internet. But be careful: Once you start buying credits, ChatSim removes the blocks on non-messaging internet traffic and a smartphone can eat up those credits (and your euros) pretty quickly.

Zeromobile also added some confusing fine print to its service that places limits on its supposedly unlimited plans. If you’re traveling the world and spreading your usage among different countries, then you won’t face any restrictions. But if more than 60 percent of your usage is in one of six geographic zones, then ChatSim will start throwing up roadblocks.

For instance, in the U.S., which is in a zone that includes 30 more countries ranging from the U.K. to New Zealand, you would be restricted to 25 MB of chat traffic before additional charges kick in. That translates into about 12,500 messages, or 34 messages a day, according to Zeromobile. That’s not a paltry number, but it’s a threshold any committed chat user can easily surpass.

So if you truly are a globetrotter living out of your suitcase, or business traveler who regularly travels between two of ChatSim’s zones, this service is a great deal (though your jetsetting ways would suggest you’re not exactly looking for a bargain). But if you’re generally staying put, then you might find ChatSim isn’t as good of a deal as was originally advertised.

Source: https://gigaom.com/2015/02/25/whatsi...yond-whatsapp/

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-17-2015 11:34 AM

34 messages a day... lol. wtf.

i usually just buy a local sim wherever i go. it's usually worth it alone just for the maps so i can navigate around the city solo.

gars 03-17-2015 02:34 PM

my only issue is that i would still want to have a sim just to talk/text. This would require me to carry a separate phone just to send whatsapp messages.

J____ 03-22-2015 03:01 AM

pffft whatsapp.... wechat!

Manic! 03-22-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8611281)
34 messages a day... lol. wtf.

i usually just buy a local sim wherever i go. it's usually worth it alone just for the maps so i can navigate around the city solo.

Nokia Here lets you use maps off line. Just download the maps of the country/state before you leave.