REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 01-23-2015, 11:03 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
WhatSim

WhatSim lets you access WhatsApp in 150 countries without a data plan

WhatSim will work with 400 service providers across 150 countries and will cost €10 (£7.55), giving you access to WhatsApp without the need to buy an additional data plan. The SIM will be valid for a year and the renewal price will be the same.

Extra $ for photo / videos.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...289267581.html
Advertisement
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Meh.

Web based whatsapp takes the cake for me.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Interesting. I've seen services here where the only data they offer is for WhatsApp. It's pretty useful for people who would never use their phone for anything other than voice and chat if they're not on wifi.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:15 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Meh.

Web based whatsapp takes the cake for me.
Web based whatsapp works through your phone's whatsapp (even uses its data). It isn't standalone
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Is this for real? I'd buy one. I'd love to be able to use Whatsapp when I'm off travelling in places where I don't plan on buying a data plan. Sure, I could get it in London but I'm not getting data if I go to...Jamaica.

This is great if you're just planning on using the text service. If you're sharing photos or video, then it gets expensive pretty quick it seems but I think 10GBP is pretty good for a year of Whatsapp throughout the world. I'll buy one the next time I go somewhere that isn't America. This would've been useful for my trip to Jamaica and Mexico a couple months ago.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Does anyone know exactly how it works? I currently have a spare unlocked phone. If I plug in the whatsim, how will the phone know to direct my whatsapp message to my backup phone?

Do I need to at least have whatsapp installed on the spare phone, and linked it to my current phone number?

It's a bit confusing, but I hope someone can answer my question~
Old 03-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Poked around the website and there are a lot of restrictions imposed, so this service is not for everyone.

They also rebranded from WhatSim to ChatSim so it covers more apps in addition to WhatsApp (now supporting QQ, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, Skype, Viber, Line, KakaoTalk, Telegram, Snapchat, Twitter, Google Hangouts and Apple iMessage)

One article I ready about this service since I was genuinely interested in seeing if it will work for my needs.

Quote:
Last month, I reported on an interesting new mobile service from Italy’s Zeromobile called WhatSim that promised unlimited WhatsApp messaging anywhere in the world for just €10 ($11.60) a year. Well, a month later — and before it’s even shipped its first SIM card — WhatSim is already changing up its business model to move beyond a single messaging app, but it has also placed some restrictions on the service that make it less attractive to hard-core chatters.

It’s rebranded itself as ChatSim and it’s now supporting QQ, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, Skype, Viber, Line, KakaoTalk, Telegram, Snapchat, Twitter, Google Hangouts and Apple iMessage in addition to WhatsApp. If you want to do anything besides sending text and emoticons on those services, though, you’ll have to buy credits. Each photo, video, voice message costs a different amount of credits, which vary depending on the country you’re in.

Those credits can also translate directly into prepaid megabytes, which you can use for any mobile app or to surf the internet. But be careful: Once you start buying credits, ChatSim removes the blocks on non-messaging internet traffic and a smartphone can eat up those credits (and your euros) pretty quickly.

Zeromobile also added some confusing fine print to its service that places limits on its supposedly unlimited plans. If you’re traveling the world and spreading your usage among different countries, then you won’t face any restrictions. But if more than 60 percent of your usage is in one of six geographic zones, then ChatSim will start throwing up roadblocks.

For instance, in the U.S., which is in a zone that includes 30 more countries ranging from the U.K. to New Zealand, you would be restricted to 25 MB of chat traffic before additional charges kick in. That translates into about 12,500 messages, or 34 messages a day, according to Zeromobile. That’s not a paltry number, but it’s a threshold any committed chat user can easily surpass.

So if you truly are a globetrotter living out of your suitcase, or business traveler who regularly travels between two of ChatSim’s zones, this service is a great deal (though your jetsetting ways would suggest you’re not exactly looking for a bargain). But if you’re generally staying put, then you might find ChatSim isn’t as good of a deal as was originally advertised.

Source: https://gigaom.com/2015/02/25/whatsi...yond-whatsapp/
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
34 messages a day... lol. wtf.

i usually just buy a local sim wherever i go. it's usually worth it alone just for the maps so i can navigate around the city solo.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
I am grateful grapefruit

my only issue is that i would still want to have a sim just to talk/text. This would require me to carry a separate phone just to send whatsapp messages.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:01 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

pffft whatsapp.... wechat!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
34 messages a day... lol. wtf.

i usually just buy a local sim wherever i go. it's usually worth it alone just for the maps so i can navigate around the city solo.
Nokia Here lets you use maps off line. Just download the maps of the country/state before you leave.