REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
$100,000+ for Pitt Meadow couple to bring newborn twins home from Mexico

At first, I thought this was another idiot couple who decided to take a babymoon, and ended going into labour in a foreign country. It's worse. I guess they decided to cheap out, and go for Mexican labor. So much for saving any money. They could have done a surrogacy in Canada for a fraction of what they'll pay now, and have superior health care to go along with it.

Quote:
CBC News - A B.C. couple who welcomed premature twin babies by surrogacy in Mexico earlier this month is now fighting to bring them home to Canada for medical care, and has turned to crowdfunding to raise donations to help.

Greg and Elaine Smith of Pitt Meadows, B.C., found a surrogate mother in Mexico through a paid clinic, because they couldn't find one in Canada, said Greg Smith's aunt Linda Pruden.

Babies Ayden and Ariana were born prematurely on Jan. 8 at 31 weeks, weighing just three pounds each, and have since lost weight and suffered numerous complications, said Pruden, who was in Mexico when the babies were born.

"They had it all planned out the way they thought it would go perfect, but of course it didn't, and now it's just turned into a nightmare."

A crowdfunding site set up by the extended family estimates the Smiths have spent $100,000 so far on the babies' care.

Both preemies remain in the neonatal care intensive care unit at Hospital Angeles in Villahermosa, Mexico.

Their Canadian parents are scared for the babies' health and unsure how to navigate the Mexican medical system. Pruden told CBC News the hospital was requiring payment of $5,000 Cdn per day, payable every four days.

"[Greg] is just a basketcase. He's a walking emotional wreck, and Elaine is the same way."

'I think they need better care'

Both babies are on respirators after their lungs stopped working, which is a common complication with premature babies. Ariana has also suffered several infections, and a serious brain bleed, said Pruden.

The Smiths want to bring the babies to B.C. Children's Hospital in Vancouver for medical care, but are being told they need to wait, said Pruden.

"We don't know if we should wait, if we can wait. I think they need better care than they're being given," she said.

According to the family, the largest stumbling block in bringing the babies home is Mexican authorities haven't issued birth certificates, which are required to start the immigration process.

The hospital is telling the Smiths a notary is required before the certificates can be issued, and it's not safe for the notary to enter the NICU, said Pruden.

The family is questioning that explanation.

"Mexican lawyers have contacted us and said it's all who you see and who you bribe, and then things will be done. So that's our next step," said Pruden.

A nurse in the hospital told CBC News that Ayden would be healthy enough to travel in a few days, but Ariana was in critical condition and could not travel. She did not have information on the birth certificate.
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

just unlucky and bad decision making...poor bastards
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,184 Posts
Only poor people here are the twins unfortunately.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Why do we as a society constantly reward stupidity?

News outlets shouldn't even be allowed to air this shit. What's the difference between this and me going to Mexico and breaking my arm when I'm shit faced and then pleading to the media for help/money

I'd say breaking your arm drunk is actually smarter than what these people did.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
go to mexico to have your surrogate babies...

Old 01-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
it's all who you see and who you bribe, and then things will be done
i like how their blaming the mexicans for this. like it would be any easier to ship out premature babies born by surrogacy in any other country.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I here it's pretty common. Some places are like baby factories.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
In kindergarten 3-5 years from now, every boy is going to be named Aiden, Ayden, Jaden, Jayden, Kaden, Maden, Bayden, Cayden, Raiden, Faden, Daden, Zaden, or something like that.

Every single new parent gives their kid that name
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
They should have gone to Cuba to seek surrogacy, it's likely far cheaper than Mexico and there's excellent + free health care there
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:00 AM   #10
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The article states they're scared for the babies' health? More like for their wallet's health?

Healthy babies are born every day in Mexico. The population is thriving!
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Although it's now illegal, it's STILL the way to load containers in many parts of Taiwan (or many countries in Asia I'd say) since they simply don't have the platforms to load them properly.

I grew up watching my dad loading containers this way. And assuming the weight of the small forklift and the load is within the load capacity of the larger one, it's actually quite safe if the operators know what they are doing.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Although it's now illegal, it's STILL the way to load containers in many parts of Taiwan (or many countries in Asia I'd say) since they simply don't have the platforms to load them properly.

I grew up watching my dad loading containers this way. And assuming the weight of the small forklift and the load is within the load capacity of the larger one, it's actually quite safe if the operators know what they are doing.
Edit: Oops nevermind.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

You get what you pay for?? Not sure if appropriate.
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
In kindergarten 3-5 years from now, every boy is going to be named Aiden, Ayden, Jaden, Jayden, Kaden, Maden, Bayden, Cayden, Raiden, Faden, Daden, Zaden, or something like that.

Every single new parent gives their kid that name
That is so fucked up, I was saying that for years that all of the Surrey and Maple Ridge single moms I knew had named their kids with double vowels like Kaeden, Aeden, Maeya and other such ghetto sounding names! Crazy to read your post.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote