REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #51
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Where is this house and how old is it?

Settling is normal for any house and yea, kinda shitty that it's occurring via another persons actions but as long as it's settling as a whole there isn't nessacarilly "damage" doors binding on their frames isn't really damage to the structure. Hard to determine what was caused by the construction etc as well.

Have a walk around the outside of the house and look at the portions of the foundation walls that are exposed, any new cracks? That would be my concern

The location is basically in an area that use to be a swamp. The house is approx 100 years old and when I did the walk around inspection with the adjuster he pointed out that there are cracks along the exterior walls, the interior wall above the door and cracks on all 3 door frames that looked new. Even tho hes not an expert and that those were never there before, its still gonna be hard to prove that it was caused by the construction since its an old house... However my GF's family did have a basement renovation (professionally done) last year due to a flood and a few months after the construction started, we noticed that the floor tiles started separating and runs approx a meter in length along with the door issue. I am wondering if that would be enough evidence to back up the doors as well as that may be proof of structural damage?

The adjuster also mentioned that because developers are trying to maximize the living usage of their property, they tend to build bigger and wider houses. And in our situation, it led the developers to dig very close to the property line and they had to put pipes/cylinders into the ground to barricade the soil from collapsing. At one point they even had 2 excavators digging at the same time which caused tons of noise and vibration but that didn't last long because the CoV came as I believe one of the neighbours complained.
Advertisement

Last edited by i-vtecyo; 04-03-2017 at 11:29 PM.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:55 AM   #52
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
In addition, the workers have been very disrespectful to GF's property as there are damages to her concrete walk way. Whenever the workers need to get to the back of their work site, they would always use my GF's property. It has also gotten to the point that they started placing their tools and materials on her back yard without permission. And on a few occasions from 2am-5am, the owner or workers would enter my GF's backyard to work for half an hour such as turning on some pump to drain the water out of their work site. Next time this happens, should she just call the police?
Hey, free tools. It's on your property and, as the saying goes, possession is 9/10th's of the law!

Disclaimer: don't actually take their tools, that's bad legal advice...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
If you really want to fuck them over. Make a complaint to WCB. I can't tell what stage they're at but doesn't sound like the owner/builder is following with any safety guides.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #54
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
A bit of an update from my last post..

So over the course of construction, both the rear upstairs and downstairs door have been nonfunctional since January. The workers have been operating heavy machinery on GF's property and even to the point where the machines are a few inches away from her house. If in an unfortunate event of a fire or gas leak, there would only be one exit for GF's family (front door).

I spoke to the owner of the property who is also the "principle" of the developing company about the damages and after 3 weeks, he finally sent his project manager to take a look at the doors. After failing to "tweak" the door frames with a few bolts, the project manager suggested to shave the doors. At that point I told them that I was going to get an adjuster + expert involved instead since I was not satisfied with their solution.

In addition, the workers have been very disrespectful to GF's property as there are damages to her concrete walk way. Whenever the workers need to get to the back of their work site, they would always use my GF's property. It has also gotten to the point that they started placing their tools and materials on her back yard without permission. And on a few occasions from 2am-5am, the owner or workers would enter my GF's backyard to work for half an hour such as turning on some pump to drain the water out of their work site. Next time this happens, should she just call the police?

It has been a very frustrating year for my GF and her family and I am trying to help the family deal with the situation but sometimes I dont know where to start. My GF and I want to stop the workers from using her property because they are causing too much damage but would that be reasonable or legal? But at the same time I dont want to cause too much trouble and create a bad relationship between the owner and my gf's family as they will be future neighbors...
Next time they leave any tools just take them. If they ask tell them to fuck off. What are they going to do? Tell the police they been in your gf's property without her permission? And make sure you take the most expensive tools. And call WCB on them when they work say stuff like you feel the workers they hire are in endanger due to not having safety equipments or even say you heard them saying the workers they hire are illegal immigrants.

And call the police right away if they enter your gf place at night say there are robbers trying to enter the house.

See how long it takes before they respect your gf and her property.

See these people don't give a shit about rules so why should you care about the rules. Hurt them where is painful for them and they will stop.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #55
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I'm in search for a structural engineer who can provide a report for small courts claim. Any recommendations?
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #56
HELP ME PLS!!!

Here is a list of structural engineers in BC. But structural engineers typically deal with stress calculations and factors of safety for a building.

Wouldn't hurt to call and see the services they provide.

https://www.apeg.bc.ca/Member-Direct...tructEng&ps=25