REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   To truck, or not to truck? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701467-truck-not-truck.html)

roastpuff 02-10-2015 08:22 AM

To truck, or not to truck?

Just wanted some opinions on this. I currently live/work up North (near Smithers), and I drive a 2010 Subaru Forester XT. It's a good little SUV, but there are some flaws with it:
  • 4-speed automatic transmission - in 2010. Really Subaru?! My fault for not researching it further before buying, but this kills my mileage. I see maybe 11L/100KM on the highway and 14-15L/100KM in town.
  • Sometimes it's just not tall enough - especially for winters with lots of snow like this one. The plows leave big berms on the streets and I have to carry a bit of speed and "crunch" through. I'm a bit worried that one day this will bite me in the ass when it's a harder berm than expected.
  • In the summer, I have started going on hikes/biking trips that require going on some rougher logging roads - more potholes/rocks/obstacles. The Forester will go on these roads but feels like it's taking a beating and I don't have skid plates on it yet.
  • Space for gear - would be nice to have a pick-up bed to stick MTB's, camping gear, dirty crap, dead animals in. Right now I have a hitch-mount bike rack.
  • Terrible stock Nav/BT HU. Seriously.
  • No towing ability - rated for 2400lbs, which is not even really enough for a single ATV or utility trailer.

I've been considering moving up to a full-size pick-up truck, as parking is sized for those vehicles up here, and fuel prices are quite a bit cheaper than the Lower Mainland. The funny thing is that the trucks will probably match or better my Forester XT in terms of mileage! I'm looking at 2014 Ram 1500's or Ford F-150's and would appreciate input from those who own or have switched vehicles to a full-size truck.

604STIG 02-10-2015 08:26 AM

I have a 2014 F-150 V6 eco-boost, have no complaints and enjoy every minute of driving it. After driving a Ram for a little while as well, Dodge can't compare to the Ford interior, the comfort in the F-150 is on a different level.

hud 91gt 02-10-2015 08:27 AM

2400lbs should be plenty for an ATV. I think you just want a truck. I don't blame you haha.

I don't think its the 4 spd auto killing your mileage. I think its the AWD system. None of them are great. A little snow berm here and there isn't going to hurt it. Much. When you go to sell, people in the area are use to some plastic bit ripped off etc. Its the environment you live.

Truck are convenient, and the new ones are pretty comfortable. But is it worth it?

My old 3 series had a 2000lb tow rating. It was a great tow vehicle, pending you have a decent hitch. Some of those class 1/2 hitches look pretty flimsy.

meme405 02-10-2015 08:30 AM

I had a 2014 dodge ram (with the Hemi), as a work truck for 4 months. It was fucking terrible. By comparison my 2004 GMC sierra was a 100% better truck.

I now am driving a Diesel Silverado, again, just miles ahead of the dodge.

I'm sure for your use the Ford will serve nicely, I don't like F150's, but I concede they are up to the task, and they are very good trucks.

Great68 02-10-2015 08:37 AM

My dad just bought a fully loaded 2014 F150 FX4 Ecoboost.

I was pretty impressed with the fit & finish, and the power of that motor is unbelievable (for what it is).

I was never really into full-size trucks, but I think his truck may have changed my opinion.

MarkyMark 02-10-2015 08:41 AM

I have a 2014 f150 FX4 with the 5.0 V8 and it's been awesome thus far. With the new models out you might get a decent deal on the 2014s left over

fliptuner 02-10-2015 08:42 AM

Why a truck and not an SUV?

Whatever you choose, if you're going to stay up there for a while, I'd stick to the Big3 just for parts and service.

TjAlmeida 02-10-2015 08:44 AM

If you consider diesel, I would go with a 1500 dodge with the v6 diesel. Good mileage added hauling capability and good mileage. If not then for sure an ecoboost. Dont buy a gm, fucking junk.

Or have you considered a tacoma, great pick ups but will be lacking in the fuel economy area.

Or if you want a diesel truck, and the coooooool status be patient and wait for the diesel Tundra or titan

Gucci Mane 02-10-2015 09:15 AM

2011 f150 fx4 here with the 5.0L V8. Great truck and its held up very well since I bought it new. I was getting the same gas mileage you are now in my truck before I decided to move up in tire size. 12L/100km on hwy and 16L/100km in the city. Rams are quite nice too, I personally like the look of the 2014 ram better than the f150. Interior is really damn nice too! Just go to the dealers and sit in them and take them for a ride. Buy whatever feels "right" to you.

R&R 02-10-2015 09:23 AM

SVT RAPTOR DOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTT

roastpuff 02-10-2015 09:36 AM

Wow, thanks for the replies guys! I didn't expect so many so fast. I have test-driven the F-150 Ecoboost and the Ram 1500 Hemi & Ecodiesel. Right now, the Ecoboost & Hemi are the two contenders. I'm sticking with gas because I need insta-start capability at -30c and 3AM in the morning as I am a volunteer firefighter, and I need to be able to respond to a call-out to go to the fire hall without waiting for the vehicle to warm up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604STIG (Post 8594215)
I have a 2014 F-150 V6 eco-boost, have no complaints and enjoy every minute of driving it. After driving a Ram for a little while as well, Dodge can't compare to the Ford interior, the comfort in the F-150 is on a different level.

Thanks for the reply, curious what year Dodge you drove? I found that a similarly equipped trim level (Lariat vs Laramie, for example) the Dodge had more soft-touch materials and that UConnect was a bit more intuitive. Also, the heated steering wheel is tits. So awesome at -15c.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8594217)
2400lbs should be plenty for an ATV. I think you just want a truck. I don't blame you haha.

I don't think its the 4 spd auto killing your mileage. I think its the AWD system. None of them are great. A little snow berm here and there isn't going to hurt it. Much. When you go to sell, people in the area are use to some plastic bit ripped off etc. Its the environment you live.

Truck are convenient, and the new ones are pretty comfortable. But is it worth it?

My old 3 series had a 2000lb tow rating. It was a great tow vehicle, pending you have a decent hitch. Some of those class 1/2 hitches look pretty flimsy.

Well, it's the fact that I'm at 2500RPM @ 100kph or 2700RPM @ 110kph that's killing my mileage, I'm sure... that's edging into the boost territory for the EJ25. And yes, after borrowing a friend's truck and driving work trucks I feel like I want a truck. :haha: ATV + trailer will probably sit around 1500lbs, so I could tow a single ATV behind the Forester I guess.
Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8594219)
I had a 2014 dodge ram (with the Hemi), as a work truck for 4 months. It was fucking terrible. By comparison my 2004 GMC sierra was a 100% better truck.

I now am driving a Diesel Silverado, again, just miles ahead of the dodge.

I'm sure for your use the Ford will serve nicely, I don't like F150's, but I concede they are up to the task, and they are very good trucks.

May I ask what you didn't like about the Ram?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8594222)
My dad just bought a fully loaded 2014 F150 FX4 Ecoboost.

I was pretty impressed with the fit & finish, and the power of that motor is unbelievable (for what it is).

I was never really into full-size trucks, but I think his truck may have changed my opinion.

That Ecoboost motor is amazing. Better than the Hemi IMO, but wish Ford had the 8-speed the way the Ram does. That ZF transmission is so smooth.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8594223)
I have a 2014 f150 FX4 with the 5.0 V8 and it's been awesome thus far. With the new models out you might get a decent deal on the 2014s left over

That's the plan, we'll see how it goes!
Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8594225)
Why a truck and not an SUV?

Whatever you choose, if you're going to stay up there for a while, I'd stick to the Big3 just for parts and service.

Yes, Big 3 for sure. Truck because I don't want to stick a muddy MTB or other outdoors gear in the back of my SUV - did that with the Forester, it was a PITA to clean.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TjAlmeida (Post 8594229)
If you consider diesel, I would go with a 1500 dodge with the v6 diesel. Good mileage added hauling capability and good mileage. If not then for sure an ecoboost. Dont buy a gm, fucking junk.

Or have you considered a tacoma, great pick ups but will be lacking in the fuel economy area.

Or if you want a diesel truck, and the coooooool status be patient and wait for the diesel Tundra or titan

I outlined above why the Ecodiesel was out of the running, though I do like it a lot. It's also a lot more expensive than the Hemi... a $4500 premium and the dealers don't discount very much since they sell like hot cakes. Tacoma is too old - I'm not sure the new one is much of an improvement either. Same with Tundra and Titan.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidish (Post 8594240)
2011 f150 fx4 here with the 5.0L V8. Great truck and its held up very well since I bought it new. I was getting the same gas mileage you are now in my truck before I decided to move up in tire size. 12L/100km on hwy and 16L/100km in the city. Rams are quite nice too, I personally like the look of the 2014 ram better than the f150. Interior is really damn nice too! Just go to the dealers and sit in them and take them for a ride. Buy whatever feels "right" to you.

Thanks! The F-150 feels more nimble to me, but the Dodge interior is nicer and the ride is a bit better. It's hard to decide. :P
Quote:

Originally Posted by R&R (Post 8594245)

Haha... yeah no.

RRxtar 02-10-2015 09:39 AM

are you sold on a 2014 or are you interested in a 2015? take a look at the ALL NEW 2015 f150. and fyi, the tundra is also new (2 years ago) and the titan is new for this year too

GabAlmighty 02-10-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R&R (Post 8594245)

Been there done that. It's fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8594251)
are you sold on a 2014 or are you interested in a 2015? take a look at the ALL NEW 2015 f150

Was talking to a lot boy at a dealership the other day and he said they're having issues with the 3.5 overheating a lot. He's had to have 2 of them towed because they overheated on him.

meme405 02-10-2015 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 8594250)
May I ask what you didn't like about the Ram?

The truck I was driving started with 69km, and I drove it all the way to almost 15,000km. So nobody can say that it was poor maintenance, or that it was an old piece of shit.

1:

But compared to my 10 year old GMC, the way the thing tracked down the road was bizarre to me. Large jolts to the front end really upset the handling, much more so than other full size trucks. Rear end was very similar to other trucks in that washboard or ruts causes all sorts of disturbance to the rear end, that's just because of the lack of weight over the rear axle.

My biggest concern with the Ram though on this "handling" front, was while towing, even lighter loads, like a small trailer with a gross weight of like 3000lbs. In this scenario the truck really starts to lose the front end, and I almost feel uncomfortable driving the thing. this is something I have never felt with other trucks, especially given that I have pulled the exact same trailer and weight on my own truck, and it does nothing like that.

Like I said, it's bizarre and the problem is specific to the 1/2 ton trucks, cause I have driven my buddies 1 ton cummins, with a way heavier load, and it is absolutely fine.

2:

The power delivery is just horrific. I can't believe the lag between pushing the gas pedal and the truck actually doing something. Cruising on the highway at 80 and then trying to get to 120 is honestly a chore. I drove the Coq 15 times in that truck, and it was the single most disappointing part of the thing. Come out of a corner (sometimes in bad weather), and try to get back up to speed, it felt like I was demanding so much from the truck.

Obviously using the 1 ton diesel in a comparison isn't fair, but my own truck, and the newer GMC 1/2 ton that I drive are nothing like this.

Also everyone who says the interior is so great, its meh on the lower models, and on the higher models in any of the big 3's trucks they are all nice looking.

sdubfid 02-10-2015 11:36 AM

I drive a 2015 f150 at work and cringe. It is not a truck to me, it is a ford Taurus with a box. Would much rather drive an old 12v cummins with leaf springs, but I'm not into fancy things like balljoints or torque vectoring.

I went from truck to suv and besides atv/sled transporting I have no regrets. Much easier to sleep inside, park in tight areas. I use a hitch rack for my motorcycle/mtb, ski rack on roof. No carpets inside so I could put a dead animal inside or you can get hitch cargo carriers cheap at princess auto. If you only atv 10% of the time a single place aluminum trailer could come in handy, otherwise you have an empty box most of the time.

RRxtar 02-10-2015 11:40 AM

^the towing issue on Ram 1500s is due to them changing to a coil sprung rear end. its a fairly well known issue. the coil springs and 4 link suspension give it a softer ride, but its not as stable of a platform for towing. that being said, i know a guy who tows his jeep to moab on a flat deck (~7000lb weight) and he doesnt mind it.

and ya, definitely cant compare 1/2 ton to 1 ton. my f150 feels like im towing a truck with beachballs for suspension compared to my f350

and good point on the interiors. the gap between an entry level and mid level truck interior and the top of the line one is so massive. you really need to make sure you sit in the same trim level of each truck to compare interiors.

XLT:
http://www.ford.com/ngbs-services/re...5_int_full.jpg

platinum:
http://images.thecarconnection.com/l...00452885_l.jpg

604STIG 02-10-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 8594250)
Thanks for the reply, curious what year Dodge you drove? I found that a similarly equipped trim level (Lariat vs Laramie, for example) the Dodge had more soft-touch materials and that UConnect was a bit more intuitive. Also, the heated steering wheel is tits. So awesome at -15c.

I was driving a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500, belonged to my cousin so I had the opportunity to drive it quite a bit. I had a 2012 F150 XLT at the time and that was what I was comparing it to. The Ram was the equivalent trim level, don't remember what the letters were.

pintoBC_3sgte 02-10-2015 04:06 PM

any reason that you are looking at ford/dodge and not a chev./gmc?

I have a 2012 sierra (5.3 Z71 SLT) and love it. The diesel sierras are a blast to drive as well. In my experience, I found that the acceleration of ford to be lacking when pulling up hills.

E-40six 02-10-2015 04:14 PM

I made the switch from my ITR to my 2500 Duramax Silverado 7 years ago as I needed a versatile truck for work and my dog.

Back when I made the switch, diesel was a lot cheaper than gas and I decided to go the 3/4 ton route because I rather have more truck than not enough for my line of work. Looking back, I would still make the same choice.

I can't offer up any experience on the new fords but I still own 2 7.3L powerstrokes in a F350 and F450 and the interior quality of them are terribly lacking but the motor and drive train have been bulletproof for me

TjAlmeida 02-10-2015 06:10 PM

As for the warming up thing, when it's - 30 every vehicle gas or diesel should be pluged in. And both vehicles regardless gas or diesel do not need to be warmed up for 10+ minutes. A modern diesel is no different when warming up. Plug it in, on a diesel wait the 5-10 seconds for the glow plugs/grid heater, start, and drive nicely until operating temperature.

Modern diesels in pick ups are not the mechanical monsters they were in the 90's and early 00's.

If you are buying brand new, the 6.4l Hemi gets shit mileage. You can not compare a Hemi to the ecoboost if you are factoring fuel mileage into your decision.

underscore 02-10-2015 06:43 PM

When I drove a Chevy 3/4 for work I averaged 22L/100km cruising at 120 on a Prairie highway with nothing but me and two duffel bags in it. I'm not sure how that stacks up compared to what the others offer but if you're worried about the fuel consumption of your Subaru that would hurt to have to fill. It was also probably one of the most gutless things I've ever driven, when I went to accelerate on the highway the truck would wait until it got approval from Parliament before it would start to move.

I also drove an Avalanche for a week (I know it's not a full truck but anyways) and it was an equally large pile of garbage.

roastpuff 02-10-2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8594251)
are you sold on a 2014 or are you interested in a 2015? take a look at the ALL NEW 2015 f150. and fyi, the tundra is also new (2 years ago) and the titan is new for this year too

The 2014's are getting insane discounts - I'm looking at well over $12k on average, with two trucks that are the current shortlist sitting at $17K and 18K discount off MSRP at the moment. The Tundra was merely a refresh, and I don't like the Nissan Titan very much. Also, the nearest Nissan dealer is 250KM away from me and the nearest Toyota dealer is 150KM away. The nearest Ford & Dodge dealers are 80KM away. I live in the boonies now... haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8594261)
The truck I was driving started with 69km, and I drove it all the way to almost 15,000km. So nobody can say that it was poor maintenance, or that it was an old piece of shit.

1:

But compared to my 10 year old GMC, the way the thing tracked down the road was bizarre to me. Large jolts to the front end really upset the handling, much more so than other full size trucks. Rear end was very similar to other trucks in that washboard or ruts causes all sorts of disturbance to the rear end, that's just because of the lack of weight over the rear axle.

My biggest concern with the Ram though on this "handling" front, was while towing, even lighter loads, like a small trailer with a gross weight of like 3000lbs. In this scenario the truck really starts to lose the front end, and I almost feel uncomfortable driving the thing. this is something I have never felt with other trucks, especially given that I have pulled the exact same trailer and weight on my own truck, and it does nothing like that.

Like I said, it's bizarre and the problem is specific to the 1/2 ton trucks, cause I have driven my buddies 1 ton cummins, with a way heavier load, and it is absolutely fine.

2:

The power delivery is just horrific. I can't believe the lag between pushing the gas pedal and the truck actually doing something. Cruising on the highway at 80 and then trying to get to 120 is honestly a chore. I drove the Coq 15 times in that truck, and it was the single most disappointing part of the thing. Come out of a corner (sometimes in bad weather), and try to get back up to speed, it felt like I was demanding so much from the truck.

Obviously using the 1 ton diesel in a comparison isn't fair, but my own truck, and the newer GMC 1/2 ton that I drive are nothing like this.

Also everyone who says the interior is so great, its meh on the lower models, and on the higher models in any of the big 3's trucks they are all nice looking.

Wow, that's really weird. I've had friends talk about the Dodge not being great in towing due to the coil link rear suspension, but not to the extent that you mentioned. I'll keep that in mind - thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8594313)
and good point on the interiors. the gap between an entry level and mid level truck interior and the top of the line one is so massive. you really need to make sure you sit in the same trim level of each truck to compare interiors.

Indeed - that's why I'm comparing Ram Sport to FX4, and Ram Laramie to Lariat. They're similar trim levels. And yes, the base trucks have pretty crappy interiors. Work has a 2014 Ram 1500 SXT and a F-150 STX that I've driven before. Not great interiors though the Ram's is still nicer even in the base trim level.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 604STIG (Post 8594384)
I was driving a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500, belonged to my cousin so I had the opportunity to drive it quite a bit. I had a 2012 F150 XLT at the time and that was what I was comparing it to. The Ram was the equivalent trim level, don't remember what the letters were.

Okay, thanks! The 2014 interior is a bitt different, if I recall correctly.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pintoBC_5sfte (Post 8594455)
any reason that you are looking at ford/dodge and not a chev./gmc?

I have a 2012 sierra (5.3 Z71 SLT) and love it. The diesel sierras are a blast to drive as well. In my experience, I found that the acceleration of ford to be lacking when pulling up hills.

Which Ford engine/model are you referring to? I took a look at the GMC/Chevy twins and I wasn't a big fan of the interior or the features. The driving dynamics are also a bit behind Ford/Dodge. The corner step bumper is nice though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by E-40six (Post 8594459)
I made the switch from my ITR to my 2500 Duramax Silverado 7 years ago as I needed a versatile truck for work and my dog.

I can't offer up any experience on the new fords but I still own 2 7.3L powerstrokes in a F350 and F450 and the interior quality of them are terribly lacking but the motor and drive train have been bulletproof for me

Thanks for your input!
Quote:

Originally Posted by TjAlmeida (Post 8594512)
As for the warming up thing, when it's - 30 every vehicle gas or diesel should be pluged in. And both vehicles regardless gas or diesel do not need to be warmed up for 10+ minutes. A modern diesel is no different when warming up. Plug it in, on a diesel wait the 5-10 seconds for the glow plugs/grid heater, start, and drive nicely until operating temperature.

Modern diesels in pick ups are not the mechanical monsters they were in the 90's and early 00's.

If you are buying brand new, the 6.4l Hemi gets shit mileage. You can not compare a Hemi to the ecoboost if you are factoring fuel mileage into your decision.

I'm looking at the 5.7 Hemi with cylinder deactivation. And yes, they need to be plugged in at -30, but sometimes you don't get the chance. When I get called out at -30, it's usually because A. Someone's crashed on the street/highway and they're trapped inside their vehicle/or it's burning, we need to get them out and into the care of the ambulance people ASAP, B. Shit's on fire, and it needs to get put out. I've started my Subaru at -30 when my timer hadn't started yet, so the block heater hasn't had a chance to work. It didn't like it, but it started just fine and I got to the fire hall.
Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8594524)
When I drove a Chevy 3/4 for work I averaged 22L/100km cruising at 120 on a Prairie highway with nothing but me and two duffel bags in it. I'm not sure how that stacks up compared to what the others offer but if you're worried about the fuel consumption of your Subaru that would hurt to have to fill. It was also probably one of the most gutless things I've ever driven, when I went to accelerate on the highway the truck would wait until it got approval from Parliament before it would start to move.

I also drove an Avalanche for a week (I know it's not a full truck but anyways) and it was an equally large pile of garbage.

I'm not sure how comparable 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton truck mileage are, but I'm hoping to get close to 10L/100KM cruising at the speed limit or slightly above! I'm averaging 10-11L/100KM in my Subaru when I am at the speed limit, the faster I go the worse that 4-speed is because of how high I'm revving.

noclue 02-10-2015 11:44 PM

I downgraded from a 2011 F350 with a 6.7L powerstroke to a 2013 F150. Like you I was shopping between dodge and ford, don't like GM products. I really liked the ram but at the time there were 2 faults. 1 was that the lease rates was horrible, I think it's due to chrysler not doing inhouse leasing or residuals were horrible. 2 was that the chrysler dealers I went to here in the lower mainland were all shady as fuck. Really turned me off the ram. Also keep in mind that if you have a ecodiesel and 4 passengers, you have like a 150-200lb payload before you go over GVWR.

My F150 3.5L ecoboost gets 12-13L/100KM in city traffic here. 10L highway, maybe 9L if the conditions are perfect. I'm going to wait it out until ford releases a 8+ transmission before switching to the new F150. Of course these factors go out the window when towing.

Surprisingly it's pretty good towing a 9000lb boat compared to my F350. The ecoboost 3.5L is great!

Right now they have awesome lease deals on leftover 2014 F150's. Oh and if you own 100 ford shares for at least.. 3 months? you can get a X-plan discount as well.

BUILT FORD TOUGH!!!

RRxtar 02-11-2015 12:20 AM

Im a big Ford guy, but at the end of the day Im a truck guy. And if I step back from brand loyalty and just look at what each truck is from a completely objective standpoint, and I dont want to cause a big fight here, I really don't think GM is on the same level as Ford and Ram now.

I have friends who swear by their Silverados, and swear they are more comfortable and get better fuel economy, but IMO, they are a generation or 2 behind. GM's entire line up seems like its a generation behind and they just keep polishing up the same old platforms for the last 10 years with no innovation. Ford and Ram are pulling away, imo.

Ford or Ram, you can't go wrong with either. both have some fantastic aspects, and both have some drawbacks, but at the end of the day, you'd be happy with either. drive both, buy the one you like best. If you're looking at 14s tho, technically the Ram is a generation newer, so that might be a bonus.

Jmac 02-11-2015 01:17 AM

Ram became it's own company in 2010 (primarily because of the new CAFE standards in the US with the trucks dragging Dodge's average fuel economy down despite their 100% bullshit fuel economy numbers in Canada); they're no longer Dodge Rams.