REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #26
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post

Want to get insurance for a new drive? Drive a beater.
Honestly I drive my beater harder then my summer car, beaters are exactly what they are. Theyre more fun and don't really have to care about them.
Advertisement
boostedcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

More stupid laws that affect the rest of us as a direct consequence of stupid kids killing themselves.

I have a better suggestion: don't allow driving until age of 19 if you're unwilling to have mandatory driver lessons.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #28
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm actually surprised that speed was only a factor in a third of incidents. The way the media loves to make it sound, it should have been a lot higher. As for restricting higher displacement and hp vehicles, there's a counter argument for this. Sure, a Corolla can hit speeds that far exceed the posted limit. However, a car designed for higher speeds and horsepower typically also has the braking and suspension designed to help offset it. A modern AMG or //M will stop far quicker and safely than a modern Mazda 3 or Civic. I wouldn't say speed is necessarily the resulting factor rather than inattentiveness and the fact that your reaction time drops dramatically as your speed increases. Neither of those have anything to do with what car you're in. Hell, my 127hp Acura will hit speeds that exceed even the Coquihalla's limit almost as easily as many dedicated sports cars I've driven. The difference is that the latter can stop more easily than the Aucra.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
^ they can only stop quicker if you're in control and paying attention. How many of these accidents do you think happened only because they couldn't stop in time and the vehicles braking system was the limiting factor?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #30
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I'm actually surprised that speed was only a factor in a third of incidents. The way the media loves to make it sound, it should have been a lot higher. As for restricting higher displacement and hp vehicles, there's a counter argument for this. Sure, a Corolla can hit speeds that far exceed the posted limit. However, a car designed for higher speeds and horsepower typically also has the braking and suspension designed to help offset it. A modern AMG or //M will stop far quicker and safely than a modern Mazda 3 or Civic. I wouldn't say speed is necessarily the resulting factor rather than inattentiveness and the fact that your reaction time drops dramatically as your speed increases. Neither of those have anything to do with what car you're in. Hell, my 127hp Acura will hit speeds that exceed even the Coquihalla's limit almost as easily as many dedicated sports cars I've driven. The difference is that the latter can stop more easily than the Aucra.
Physics still dictates that even if they can stop quicker than a regular car - the stopping distances will still be longer.

Take an Audi R8 - it's 62mph-0 stopping distance is amazing at 112ft. Let's say a regular economy car has a stopping distance of 140ft.

Assuming the R8 has zero brake fade - it's stopping distance from 75mph-0 will be 163ft. Even though it can stop quite a bit quicker than a regular car, going just 13mph faster will equal a stopping distance of 50ft longer, 23ft longer than the economy car going 62. It isn't just about reaction time.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #31

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
It's like when you drink and drive too many times, you get rewarded with a interlock breathalyzer. Probably will get catered to people who get too many speeding infractions where you win one of these awesome data logging computers installed after your suspension.
Wait till they make that mandatory for all cars. every time you go 1 KM over you get a ticket.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
Physics still dictates that even if they can stop quicker than a regular car - the stopping distances will still be longer.

Take an Audi R8 - it's 62mph-0 stopping distance is amazing at 112ft. Let's say a regular economy car has a stopping distance of 140ft.

Assuming the R8 has zero brake fade - it's stopping distance from 75mph-0 will be 163ft. Even though it can stop quite a bit quicker than a regular car, going just 13mph faster will equal a stopping distance of 50ft longer, 23ft longer than the economy car going 62. It isn't just about reaction time.
That is a poor comparison. Your two variables are not even the same, comparing a faster traveling car to a slower moving one. I can also do the same by saying my bicycle stops faster than an F1 going at 300km/h.
Has it ever occurred to you guys that a driver who speeds will speed regardless of what kind of car they are in? Similar to how a driver who always drinks and drive will do the same regardless of the law?The only way to fix this problem is to increase driver education and increase the penalty. Get rid of the frequent oblivious speeders faster regardless if they are a novice or a mature driver. All those ideas regarding limiting displacement and horsepower and stuff like that won't work.
Also, the speed limit needs to be increased. When 90% of the cars on the roads are traveling +10 over the speed limit, going the speed limit is just plain dangerous. The government knows this is an issue as it has been suggested by engineers to increase the speed limits on many of the highways in BC.
04 Honda Cbr600rr Racebike - sold
00 Honda S2000 - sold
17 Ford Mustang GT - Traded
18 Volkswagen GTI

Last edited by 46_valentinor; 02-12-2015 at 03:49 PM.
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #33
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
mandatory self driving cars. done.

lower HP whatever wont change anything. i took my town and country up to 185km/h back in HS cuz i could.

an echo can still speed and the driver can still get drunk and slam into a pole or people. it makes no difference.

i can take a civic up to 100km/h pretty fast.

i bet if they released the cars involved in all teen fatal accidents... none of them are exotics like lambos and ferraris. you might get an M series here and there. but i bet the majority of them are just mom and pop cars.

you wanna lower % of accidents? you don't target the 1%. you target the majority average people. they cause most of the accidents. the 1% of the 1% cause some accidents, but they're so few it almost doesn't even matter stats wise.

anyway. self driving cars. remove the right to drive on public roads. done.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #34
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

In addition, although I know translink is quite terrible, having a good public transportation system will also help tremendously. Provide a service to the majority that will cause them to leave the car home, not need to apply for a drivers license and take public transportation. With the increase in gas prices, insurance and traffic congestion, it will simply be not worth driving for people who are on a tight budget such as students.
04 Honda Cbr600rr Racebike - sold
00 Honda S2000 - sold
17 Ford Mustang GT - Traded
18 Volkswagen GTI
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #35
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46_valentinor View Post
That is a poor comparison. Your two variables are not even the same, comparing a faster traveling car to a slower moving one. I can also do the same by saying my bicycle stops faster than an F1 going at 300km/h.
Has it ever occurred to you guys that a driver who speeds will speed regardless of what kind of car they are in? Similar to how a driver who always drinks and drive will do the same regardless of the law?The only way to fix this problem is to increase driver education and increase the penalty. Get rid of the frequent oblivious speeders faster regardless if they are a novice or a mature driver. All those ideas regarding limiting displacement and horsepower and stuff like that won't work.
Also, the speed limit needs to be increased. When 90% of the cars on the roads are traveling +10 over the speed limit, going the speed limit is just plain dangerous. The government knows this is an issue as it has been suggested by engineers to increase the speed limits on many of the highways in BC.
I'm just trying to argue against people who justify speeding in a supercar just because they have big brakes and sticky tires. I'm not arguing for or against the recommendations.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #36
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
IMO the problem is ICBC being a profit-minded machine rather than actually caring about driver safety and education. Look at the whole Chinese DL fiasco that happened recently. Because ICBC gets a ton of money from all the Chinese drivers who insure high-value cars and then damage them, they effectively convinced the RCMP to stop doing their jobs, when really they should be doing the opposite and examining why certain groups of people with certain licenses get into more collisions. It simply shouldn't be so easy to get a BCDL and effectively let people who have no understanding of driving in Canada drive around with no checks or balances.

I also agree that there should be class restrictions regarding what GLP drivers can drive, as well as a tougher "L" and "N" road test instead of how it is now where you are essentially driving around a couple blocks and then 20-30 seconds on the highway.

In a perfect world, we'd be like Europe where young people would be forced to learn on a manual car and do their test in a manual unless they had some kind of disability. IMO that would weed out a lot of shitty drivers. And then be straight up priced out of insuring high-powered or high-value cars until they had a full license. But that's wishful thinking, somehow in North America we see driving as a right instead of a privilege.

EDIT: I also think ICBC should do mandatory yearly re-certification for seniors. All this talk about how young people don't have the reflexes, hand-eye coordination, etc. to drive a car, yet nobody really addresses the opposite end of the spectrum. It's proven that people lose their reflexes, vision, coordination, etc. as they age, and I think it's crazy that seniors can just drive up until they go blind with nobody to stop them unless they get into an accident and/or pulled over.

Last edited by Tone Loc; 02-12-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #37

^ as a side note, I know that many seniors who crossed over to legal driving age during WWII in some countries never actually took a driving test. In the UK they just asked if you had been driving a tractor or truck for XX amount of time during the war and if you said yes you got a license.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #38
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ as a side note, I know that many seniors who crossed over to legal driving age during WWII in some countries never actually took a driving test. In the UK they just asked if you had been driving a tractor or truck for XX amount of time during the war and if you said yes you got a license.
Personally I'd give these guys a free pass since they kinda, just maybe were the last bastion of freedom stopping the Nazis from making sure we drove shitty German cars everywhere. Or be killed because I'm Asian, not sure what's worse...

But I am willing to bet that many seniors on the roads now would not pass the Class 5 road test if made to do so.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #39

I'm assuming it was the same for military service members but I only know for sure about civilians who worked on farms and such helping with the war effort.

It's a bit of a toss up as to whether they would pass, I'm sure sheer experience and having driven all manual cars made in the 20's would help somewhat.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #40
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
GLP probably helps but I still remember wanting to sneak out with my parent's car when I had my L

Once people got their N in grade 12 there were plenty of burn outs and speeding of 70+ kph in school zones right after school, with plenty of kids around.

sadly I got into one those car a few times...thought I was gonna dieded.

ICBC should do educational seminars on reckless driving to grade 10 classes like sex ed ...that would've scared most of them I'd presume. Teenagers think their invincible if you just tell them don't do this or that but don't show any consequences.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #41
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
When I was in highschool BC Paramedics came out and did a presentation to grade 12's about driving (speeding, under the influence, etc.)

All the kids driving were ignoring what was being said, until they brought out a model of this, and demonstrated what will happen if you get into a severe crash.
Spoiler!

Every single guy immediately shuddered, closed their legs, and paid attention.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #42
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
^^^
It hurts coming out more than it does going in!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
If the issue is with young drivers, then address the young drivers. Don't implement something that has so many holes and goes after every driver on the road. Automated Speed Monitoring is nothing more than photo radar and does nothing for new drivers, it just becomes a revenue generator again and nothing to do with safety.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #44
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
or...

maybe young people are just destined to do high risk things because that's the nature of young people.

therefore, young people will die. the end. period. leave it at that.

the few young people that take high risks and succeed at it, might get really good at it and become extreme sports or competitive drivers.

yes, and the onus and payment is the blood of young drivers and people that get hit by them... society will always absorb the damage.

but hey, blood is the only real currency in this world for advancement right? RIGHT?! RIGHT?!?!?!

right.

it's like... declawing a tiger. or removing the sting from a scorpion. what are we really trying to do here.

tiger gotta claw, scorpions gotta sting, kids gotta risk.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #45

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
oh fuck BC should just learn from Germany, they have far better driver training and one of the safest highway in the world, Autobahn.

Germans take driving very seriously, whereas BC doesn't. All we need to do is to ask one your buddy's brother who is 25 yrs or older, or ask your parents to teach you and off you go. In Japan, you must be trained by official instructor certified by the government. I believe same as in Germany too.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #46

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
and HP/displacement limitation on your license? Well that's too bad for kids, they would have to ditch their mom's V6 Powered Camry, Maxima or Accord and drive one of these instead.

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #47
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
when Ulic Qel-Droma posts i be like: