REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Anyone got a garage lift @ home?

Dannmar makes a really nice one that would fit in a lot of garages with 8ft of ceiling. It's finally come off back order from costco and I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm just wondering does anyone else have one at home? Do you ever get issues with neighbours? Lets see your setups!

http://www.costco.ca/Dannmar-MaxJax%....10344259.html
Advertisement
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
At least a couple of guys on here have it. Not sure why a neighbor would care what you have in your garage.

I don't think it's worth it for the amount of space you lose (assuming it's going into a standard 2 car garage w/ an 8-10' ceiling). Of course it's convenient but you lose a parking spot, it's awkward to work around if you need the doors open and you can get by just fine with a jack and few sets of jack stands. There are a lot of other pieces of equipment I'd get before a lift (bench vise, drill press, grinder, shop press, welder, portal crane, etc.)

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 05:01 AM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
At least a couple of guys on here have it. Not sure why a neighbor would care what you have in your garage.

I don't think it's worth it for the amount of space you lose (assuming it's going into a standard 2 car garage w/ an 8-10' ceiling). Of course it's convenient but you lose a parking spot, it's awkward to work around if you need the doors open and you can get by just fine with a jack and few sets of jack stands. There are a lot of other pieces of equipment I'd get before a lift (bench vise, drill press, grinder, shop press, welder, portal crane, etc.)
The one he posted is not a fixed lift, it is moveable.
silva95teg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #4

Yes, it's "moveable" but how many people would go through the trouble of bolting it to the floor and setting it up every time they want to do an oil change/brake job, then tear it down and put it away? Realistically, anyone who gets it would set it up once and leave it.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I like this one better...

http://www.costco.ca/.product.100123...rySiloedViewCP

Park on top or underneath
whiteTDIpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
I STILL don't get it

How about bendpak quick jack.
QuickJack - Ranger BL-5000 Quick Jack - Motorsports Race Jack Stands - Race Car Pit Lift - Portable Car Lift - Garage Lift - Ranger
BABU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteTDIpowa View Post

That one is nice if you just want it for parking. It doesn't look like it would be easy to remove the wheels or if it even has an option to do that.

And yeah ICE, you are correct. Most wouldn't unbolt it. I hope no one has tried to use it without bolting it down, but chances are....
silva95teg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I don't have trouble with my neighbors other they want to borrow it!

It definitely take up space but it also depends on how is your garage configured. I would suggest if you do add one, do a reno to your garage to get the most out of your space. Coat your floor, good lighting, hide all the wiring and some heating makes a heck lot of difference. I suggest have a separate subpanel.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #9

4 post = you must have 20'+ ceiling lol.

Every lift system has it's pros and cons.
I just think that in a residential garage setting, there are better tools to invest in. Now if I ever get that big red barn out back, it'll be a whole new ballgame.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it's "moveable" but how many people would go through the trouble of bolting it to the floor and setting it up every time they want to do an oil change/brake job, then tear it down and put it away? Realistically, anyone who gets it would set it up once and leave it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRjdBeTk7Fw
It looks fairly small in that video. I'd love to have one but realistically my garage is too tight to be able to use it properly while still having everything else in the garage.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Depends on what kinda work u wanna do. It's fine for tires, suspension but it's killer on your back and legs if u want to work underneath your car.

I've done engine swaps and clutch jobs on it and my body was beat afterwatds .
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
A buddy of mine just put an Atlas 2 post lift in his shop. Price was about the same as that one from costco but it looks like a far better unit with 50% more capacity. But he built a garage with 12 foot ceilings. I will do the same when I build a shop.

2 Post Car Lifts

As for whether or not one is useful, if I just had a small 2 car garage with ceilings less than 11 feet I would probably not get one as you cant lift the car, and definitely not a truck, high enough to stand up under it and being hunched over under it is almost worse than laying on your back.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
I had one.

Make goddamn sure your concrete is thick enough before even considering the purchase.

By the time I had the cash flow to get the concrete in, the lift was never going to pay itself off, so I sold it. I might regret it now, but I'd rather wait until and save the cash for a new garage.

There were other contributing factors that also stopped me from committing fully.
- I was on the fence about moving to Ft Mac / Moving away entirely.
- Doing the concrete work, and not epoxying the floor wasn't worth the time and money to get started.
- Garage isn't tall enough. I wouldn't be able to reach full height to sit and work UNDER the car. Too short to sit under. Little difference from my regular jackstands.
- I weld. I would have zero space left for a welding setup.
- Friends.
Friends don't let friends work in thier personal garages. Tools go missing, things break, jobs left unfinished, and general unwanted mess. My garage is bad enough when my friends come by to work on my driveway. At one point, I had enough parts to build an R32, S13, and like 6 Sets of rims (Like 4 were mine). Doesn't help that I have 3 (now4) cars.

I don't even want to imagine the chaos if I had the lift in there.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
I just want one of those lifts that lift the car a foot off the ground so you can easily pull wheels/tires off, do oil changes etc. I think they're the ones that sit on the entire seam welds?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteTDIpowa View Post

Well that's just silly - the Jeep doesn't need a lift to park on top of the Corvette.

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
I just want one of those lifts that lift the car a foot off the ground so you can easily pull wheels/tires off, do oil changes etc. I think they're the ones that sit on the entire seam welds?
I have one similar to this:
http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-produ...cadet-6000.asp

I had 2x6's beside it to clear lowered cars. If you have a 2 car garage that you actually use to park 2 cars (say a stock daily and a toy), it's pretty good for regular maintenance stuff (fluids, brakes, suspension, steering, etc). You can easily park a stock car over it and it's out of the way. Because I have a garage full of parts and a project car on dollies, it sits off to one side, stacked full of parts.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #17

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Atlas® LR-06P Portable Low Rise Scissor Lift

Atlas® BP8000 Baseplate 2 Post Lift
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2015, 11:02 PM   #18
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
I have one similar to this:
Cadet 6000 Mid Rise Scissor Specialty Car Lift - Dannmar Equipment

I had 2x6's beside it to clear lowered cars. If you have a 2 car garage that you actually use to park 2 cars (say a stock daily and a toy), it's pretty good for regular maintenance stuff (fluids, brakes, suspension, steering, etc). You can easily park a stock car over it and it's out of the way. Because I have a garage full of parts and a project car on dollies, it sits off to one side, stacked full of parts.
Thats pretty neat. Seems a little more expensive than it should be tho compared to a hoist.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #19
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I wrote a long reply and I pressed the back button on my phone by accident... Damn it LOL

The issue with my garage is I only have a little over 8 feet of ceiling to work with. It should be adequate for most smaller cars.. Tho anything bigger will be questionable. I can fit a roller seat under from what I've seen and it seems pretty comfortable.

I plan on doing more than fluid changes and tire swaps, the drive on hoists would be terrible to work on for any other work. The scissor jack is viable if my concrete isn't at least 4 inches thick, tho I would prefer having a two post.

I have a lot of plans for the setup, I work in the trade and the thought of being able to work comfortably at home on your own clock is enough to sell me. I'm a little concerned about the quality/durability but from what I've read it seems like a good product.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #20

How wide is your garage? Once you install the anchors, that's the only spot you can put it and the footprint is fairly large.

You might have an 8' ceiling but when you factor in the garage door opener, you lose 1' - that puts the centre of your wheels around 3.5-4'. Next time you're at work, set a car to that height and decide if you're comfortable working under it.

The only thing I can't do with a scissor lift is cat/mid-pipe exhaust, shifter linkage, fuel/brake lines for FWD (add trans., clutch, driveshaft for RWD). Plus I can park over it and open my doors as normal.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just want to make sure you're informed before pulling the trigger.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #21

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
I just think that in a residential garage setting, there are better tools to invest in. Now if I ever get that big red barn out back, it'll be a whole new ballgame.
yeah I don't know what kind of person OP is, but is he a mechanic?

I found that having a lift like that only makes sense if you're going to be working on cars on daily basis and doing works that actually need a lift.

Unless you're a gear head and modifying or restoring cars everyday, it really doesn't makes sense.
For me, the point of working on cars myself is to save money, I can suck up mild inconvenience of using jack and stand for occasional weekend repair/maintenance jobs.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #22
I am Hook'd on RS

Ours is a Lift King Pro King 8 XXL with 8000 lb lifting capacity. We opted for the optional removable wheels which are incredibly easy to mount and dismount. With the wheels on, one person can pull and push the lift around with ease.

Be careful not to cheap out and purchase the least expensive lift, they can vary quite extensively in materials, build quality, warranty, and safety features.

We went with a 4 post lift as it is used primary for storage vs. working on our vehicles. I am itching to put another in the garage for the left side.

- The PRO KING 8 XXL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (111.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by carzcraz; 02-13-2015 at 03:34 PM.
carzcraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
That's a huge ass garage! I dream of a lift at night. Seriously. Not so much to work on my vehicles (although it would be nice) but to store (like you have done above) the huge amount of projects I want one day. I know, especially in the Vancouver area I will never have more then a double garage. Haha
Old 02-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #24
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I'm a rotary dealer and have the portable display model I'm able to use at work. It's so nice but at a $42k price tag a bit pricy. Then again its a heavy duty model and you can lift a dump truck with it.

murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #25
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
That's a huge ass garage! I dream of a lift at night. Seriously. Not so much to work on my vehicles (although it would be nice) but to store (like you have done above) the huge amount of projects I want one day. I know, especially in the Vancouver area I will never have more then a double garage. Haha
Thanks, the garage alone is almost 750 sq feet. It was a 'must have' while shopping for our new house.
carzcraz is offline   Reply With Quote