REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Had my PSS put on at that location and everything was fine. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Advertisement
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Sucks that you had a bad experience. I just had my stock rims put back on at the Fleetwood location in Surrey and they guys over there are great.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #28
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I go to that location and I bring 3 cars there a year for winter tire swaps so I visit about 6 times a year. My car, girfriend's and mom's. Generally had good experiences. One time they did an engine inspection (oil, washer levels, etc) without asking me. My engine sounded like it had an aftermarket muffler on right after (vroom vroom) but it's not normal so I brought it back and complained. They checked and said nothing was wrong and mysteriously the sound went away. I wondered if something was loose. They didn't fess up. Other than that generally good experiences. Got my tires from them too.

I think their desk people are good. I guess the mechanic is hit or miss.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I go to the Marine Dr and Ontario location. Never had to pay a dime for any service. Been there for 5 times for tire punctures and fixed all for free. I never bought tires from them before. Chris, the manager is awesome. Excellent customer service.

One time, slow tire leak and couldn't fix it, he tried to sell me on new tire. I went to buy a used one off my friend and Chris got it mounted onto my rim for free too. I was expecting to pay labour fees.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
As promised, picked up my tires from TSS, nothing but good service. Not cheap but lets be honest I didn't think mounting a set of low pro's on 22" wheels was going to be, so I can live with is.

Pics:

^Very slight stretch, tires are 265/30 on a 10" wheel. Kenny told me it's not even an issue, apparently they have gone as far as stretching a 225 tire on a 10" wheel...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #31
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
As promised, picked up my tires from TSS, nothing but good service. Not cheap but lets be honest I didn't think mounting a set of low pro's on 22" wheels was going to be, so I can live with is.

Pics:

^Very slight stretch, tires are 265/30 on a 10" wheel. Kenny told me it's not even an issue, apparently they have gone as far as stretching a 225 tire on a 10" wheel...
Those wheels are going to look sick on your ride
anjewree is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #32
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I go to the Marine Dr and Ontario location. Never had to pay a dime for any service. Been there for 5 times for tire punctures and fixed all for free. I never bought tires from them before. Chris, the manager is awesome. Excellent customer service.

One time, slow tire leak and couldn't fix it, he tried to sell me on new tire. I went to buy a used one off my friend and Chris got it mounted onto my rim for free too. I was expecting to pay labour fees.
can vouch for this location as well. great guys over there. the funny - and ironic - thing is, i've had better dealings with smaller "shady" shops than i have at a lot of dealers or bigger name branches. kal tire, budget brake and muffler, etc. of course i'm leaving enthusiast speciality shops like TSS out of this equation, but it's just sad seeing the stygma that surround these smaller shops sometimes when personal dealings go to show that the customer service usually far outweighs any you'll get at a dealer
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #33
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
I use drive hard and haven't had any issues.
They've done a 225/50/17 on a 10.5 for me before.
Wouldn't recommend anyone to do this, just saying they can lol
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #34
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

Pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C View Post
I use drive hard and haven't had any issues.
They've done a 225/50/17 on a 10.5 for me before.
Wouldn't recommend anyone to do this, just saying they can lol
I will definitely take my business to the above mentioned shops next time around. I also agree that I much rather pay a bit more and have things done properly than cheap out and deal with the headache afterwards.
Dan_T_Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #35
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

Also not to plug non-sponsor shops, but discount tire, (should you find yourself state side with a tire issue) has amazing customer service. I had some issues with a set of tires I bought back in 2012. I called them up, they got me booked in while I was over here on the mainland, got me into a new set of tires, all the while apologizing for selling me a shit tire but finding a much better replacement and got me on the way.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dipper View Post
Also not to plug non-sponsor shops, but discount tire, (should you find yourself state side with a tire issue) has amazing customer service. I had some issues with a set of tires I bought back in 2012. I called them up, they got me booked in while I was over here on the mainland, got me into a new set of tires, all the while apologizing for selling me a shit tire but finding a much better replacement and got me on the way.
I actually bought the tires you see in the above pictures from discount tire. Along with like 5 other sets over the past few years. Always the DT in bellingham on lakeway dr. Nothing but positives to report there either. They are easy going, they will either just bring in the tires for you and let you carry them out, or they can mount and balance for you as well.

Keep in mind that they won't do anything outside manufacturer spec though, so no stretching, and if the tires you buy aren't properly load rated for the vehicle they won't mount them (even if the load rating is like 5lbs off like my tires were).

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #37
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I've been to the Richmond Centre mall locations a few times to get the snow tires swapped on/off, and the first couple times they did not charge me. I ended up just getting them a dozen donuts from Timmies as a thanks.

A bit off topic, anyone get brake service done by them before? Need pads (possibly discs) on old honda.
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #38
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

This place used to be awesome but the last time I went it was pouring rain and they wanted me to wait 2hrs without even willing to take my name and phone number down so I could wait at the mall instead of their tiny waiting area with a broken TV (at the time). Good and bad depending on who you deal with, sad but true.
Duff Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #39
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
If management can't satisfy you in-store, ALWAYS contact head office.

I worked in retail for over a decade and, unless you're an insufferable asshole demanding compensation far beyond what one would consider reasonable, you'll get what you want 99% of the time. Just explain the situation nicely and tell them what you think is fair compensation.

It always used to drive me insane when my manager was a dick when we fucked up. Like ... You know we're going to give the customer what he/she wants when head office tells us to do it, so why piss him/her off and force him/her to call them? His response was always, "it's the principle." Principle of losing customers for no good reason? Fuck that guy ...

As for Kal-Tire, I've always had good experiences with them.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #40
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I used to get laughed at for this but I seriously take pictures of my rims before getting new tires put on. I even let the person working the front desk know I took pictures of my rims and that I will check each rim after they are done. It's anal I know, and it's a bit annoying for me but one day it could come in handy.

I also do this with my odometer for our work vehicles. I'm not going to name the dealership because everything has been resolved and that's because I took a picture. Brought the work truck in for an oil/filter service at 35,213 kms. Picked up the work truck in the afternoon after work with 35,329 kms. Lot boy took a little joy ride for "lunch" and other things. At first the dealership denied everything and said my truck had stayed on the lot the entire time, until I showed them photo proof of the odometer before servicing. Funny how in 5 minutes an attitude of the Manger can go from accusing me of lying to kissing my ass.
em1.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #41
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
From Kal-Tire's perspective, it's a tough situation for them.

They provide repairs for tire punctures and slow leaks for no charge, but they still run of the risk of damaging the car and/or rims.

Fortunately, I couldn't care less if they scratched up my rims like they did to your's on my 2004 RX330.

Brought it in to the location near Marine Drive on Saturday to repair both a nail in one tire, and a slow leak on the full-sized spare tire.

They fixed both for free.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #42
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I was practicing on my small tire changer awhile back to see if I could stretch a tire....wouldn't recommend driving on this.

205/40/16 on a 10" wide wheel.

I was pondering mounting it up but then was worried that the jack would be stuck under the diff before the wheel and tire took the load, as well that the tire is only rated for 1/3 of the weight what each corner of the front end of my Diesel F350 weighs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6500.jpg (173.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6257.jpg (198.0 KB, 0 views)
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #43
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACsti View Post
I used to get laughed at for this but I seriously take pictures of my rims before getting new tires put on. I even let the person working the front desk know I took pictures of my rims and that I will check each rim after they are done. It's anal I know, and it's a bit annoying for me but one day it could come in handy.

I also do this with my odometer for our work vehicles. I'm not going to name the dealership because everything has been resolved and that's because I took a picture. Brought the work truck in for an oil/filter service at 35,213 kms. Picked up the work truck in the afternoon after work with 35,329 kms. Lot boy took a little joy ride for "lunch" and other things. At first the dealership denied everything and said my truck had stayed on the lot the entire time, until I showed them photo proof of the odometer before servicing. Funny how in 5 minutes an attitude of the Manger can go from accusing me of lying to kissing my ass.
Great idea, I wish I had done that to save myself the hassle. I will definitely do that next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
From Kal-Tire's perspective, it's a tough situation for them.

They provide repairs for tire punctures and slow leaks for no charge, but they still run of the risk of damaging the car and/or rims.

Fortunately, I couldn't care less if they scratched up my rims like they did to your's on my 2004 RX330.

Brought it in to the location near Marine Drive on Saturday to repair both a nail in one tire, and a slow leak on the full-sized spare tire.

They fixed both for free.
Do the tires have to be purchased from Kal Tire with proof of purchase to get free flat repairs? I paid $35. Regardless if its free or not, the principle is no damage should occur during the time the car is in their hands unless its an honest mistake that they will 100% take the hit and get whatever needed repaired.
Dan_T_Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #44
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
They generally don't check, but they have every right to do so.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #45
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_T_Civic View Post
Do the tires have to be purchased from Kal Tire with proof of purchase to get free flat repairs? I paid $35. Regardless if its free or not, the principle is no damage should occur during the time the car is in their hands unless its an honest mistake that they will 100% take the hit and get whatever needed repaired.
Dur... that makes it even worse.

I honestly don't know what their "official" policy is, but for many years, it was fairly well known that they will fix punctures for free, regardless of whether the tires were purchased from them or not.

I did see a sign now saying free flat repairs when you buy wheels from them, implying that wheels not purchased from them aren't free... but I never even suggested I bought my wheels from them.

I got a punctured tire fixed a few years ago for free, but I went there on Saturday without knowing whether I would be charged or not... but when the time came to claim the car, they said no charge for fixing both tires.

I'm not going to complain!
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote