REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Moonroof shattered while driving

I was on the highway last night and my moon roof shattered and dropped glass in the car. I didn't hit a bump and I couldn't tell if something hit my car (it was dark). There was a pop/gunshot sound when it shattered.

Called OpenRoad Toyota Scion Richmond this morning and they said they won't cover any of it because they think a rock hit it. Then I got a lesson in how people drive from Alberta to BC all the time and get rock chips that they don't cover

I've never had glass shatter and break on me and I don't think this is common. If I wasn't wearing a baseball cap it could have been quite dangerous if it got in my eyes. When I pulled over there was a hole the size of an orange and the glass kinda made a volcano shape upwards around the hole. I already started the ICBC claim but I'm a little bummed Toyota won't do much with it. If it's a chip I wouldn't fuss but with glass falling into the car it's kinda freaky. Any thoughts/experiences?

It's a 2012 Scion tC.

Pics:

Advertisement
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
glad you're not injured but that looks like an icbc issue.

not sure why you feel toyota should be on the hook unless there have been recalls for imploding moonroofs.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
I really don't understand what you want the dealership to do for you. If it wasn't a result of a manufacturing defect, they're not responsible for it.

Could've been a rock from another vehicle or dropped by a bird, or even a crack from a rock that shattered the glass when you hit a bump.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
were you following/close to one of those dump trucks that carry shit by any chance?
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Definitely looks like ICBC should be dealing with it and the dealership won't be able to do much for you unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
have you checked the scion message boards to see if anyone else had this happen before?

my memory is dim because this was from long ago, but it involved a new minivan with a glass issue for the sliding door. when you slammed the door shut the glass would break and explode everywhere. dealers were blaming owners for slamming the door too hard but eventually it became a known problem as it was happening to a lot of people discussing it on the net. it turns out there was a problem with the tempered glass for a certain build date and eventually the manufacturer fixed them at their expense.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #8

Thanks guys. I'll deal with ICBC. I guess in my mind I imagined glass being treated in a way that keeps it together a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
have you checked the scion message boards to see if anyone else had this happen before?
I found 2 threads:

2014 tC sunroof shattered!! info please - Scionlife.com

Moon Roof Glass Exploding - Scionlife.com

This guy got it covered by Toyota but some others not so lucky

Quote:
Great news! The dealership is replacing my sunroof! They still cannot explain to me why or how it happened but they are reporting it to Toyota. Based on what I have researched and hearing of others having "rattling" sunroofs and then these "spontaneous implosions" it may be a manufactures issue...who knows.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,931 Times in 583 Posts
Super unlucky, but it happened to my cousin as well. Rock flew up from the car she was following, went inbetween her fairing on the roof rack and smashed the moon roof.

Insurance covered it under comprehensive.

Same thing happened to her passenger window as well during the same year. (Also covered under comprehensive)
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

happened to some other brand as well. Just randomly explode for no reason, no one really knows why. Probably manufacturers defect in making the glass.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Sounds like you pissed off God.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Happens to many glass roof cars. Mercedes had it happening when I used to work for them, but it was not an issue with the roof itself, rather being hit by a rock. The problem is that the complete roof is glass and sadly this is the area hit hardest by rocks at highway speeds.
Thankfully it is covered by ICBC.
Many dealers in the states will cover it under goodwill warranty even though its not an issue with the vehicle simply to appease the customer.

I used to recommend that customers have the roof glass tinted so that in an event of being hit that the glass would not shatter.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Toyota had a recall on their moonroofs for the 7th gen Celica, something about the pre-2003s moonroof being made of plastic that would warp and they were replacing them with glass ones

Anyway yours looks like something hit it or had hit it, have you noticed any chips?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #14
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
and this is why you shouldnt piss off god and buy a car with no sunroof!
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Happens to many glass roof cars. Mercedes had it happening when I used to work for them, but it was not an issue with the roof itself, rather being hit by a rock. The problem is that the complete roof is glass and sadly this is the area hit hardest by rocks at highway speeds.
Thankfully it is covered by ICBC.
Many dealers in the states will cover it under goodwill warranty even though its not an issue with the vehicle simply to appease the customer.

I used to recommend that customers have the roof glass tinted so that in an event of being hit that the glass would not shatter.

how much would it cost to put down the clearbra material (or is it security window film?) over the moonroof glass, so that there is no chance of it shattering at all? would it make a difference to keep this from happening again?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #16

Quote:
That's a good idea. I might do both because I have a second stationary glass panel on my roof. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Anyway yours looks like something hit it or had hit it, have you noticed any chips?
No chips from before. I usually leave the shade cover off.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
how much would it cost to put down the clearbra material (or is it security window film?) over the moonroof glass, so that there is no chance of it shattering at all? would it make a difference to keep this from happening again?
3M clear film could help prevent this from happening from the outside, but because its tempered glass and designed to shatter into small pieces I recommended tinting it from the inside.
I always recommended this for two reasons. It will stop it from falling into the car in the event that it is hit as well as help prevent UV damage to interior panels (or at least slow it down).

I'm sure you could use 3M clear film on the roof of the car to help as well. We use it to do lights and whatnot on the front of cars so I dont see why it would not work. I'm not sure what it would cost tho. Depends on the material used and how much of it was used.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #18

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
I would suspect a rock hit it. I have a massive rock chip and few smaller ones exactly where a sunroof would be, so i would suspect it's not all that uncommon. Shitty luck though.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #19
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
3M clear film could help prevent this from happening from the outside, but because its tempered glass and designed to shatter into small pieces I recommended tinting it from the inside.
I always recommended this for two reasons. It will stop it from falling into the car in the event that it is hit as well as help prevent UV damage to interior panels (or at least slow it down).

I'm sure you could use 3M clear film on the roof of the car to help as well. We use it to do lights and whatnot on the front of cars so I dont see why it would not work. I'm not sure what it would cost tho. Depends on the material used and how much of it was used.

I thought moon roof windows come stock tinted from the factory no?
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #20
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
most factory tinted glass has no uv protection built into it. it will only cut down on light transmission, but does nothing against fading.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
The glass is coloured, it does not have a film on the glass (the part that would cut down on pieces of glass entering the vehicle).
Most of the windows are tinted from stock but it has no UV properties to it so it will cut down on interior light but not the UV damage.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Did you find any bullet in the car?
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #23
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
sounds like a case of this:

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
and this is why you shouldnt piss off god and buy a car with no sunroof!
I was gonna say don't buy cars with a sunroof, but that post will do. haha.