REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #26
I STILL don't get it

I got lost trying to find RBC from Aberdeen T_T
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #27
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Back in Oct last year, I saw that the per square foot rent for the retail units there was $60-something per year. This was posted up on the window of one of the smaller empty units (500-ish sq ft?). At the time, there was also supposed to be 1-year rent-free promotion going on, but I'd imagine that the renter would have to get himself locked in for a couple of years in order to qualify for the promotional offer.

I know some of the ghetto plazas in Vancouver / Burnaby go for as little as <$20/sq ft per year. Obviously, Aberdeen Center / Square isn't one of those places. If anyone has any idea what rent is like at Metrotown, Oakridge, Richmond Center, etc., that would probably put the discussion into a far more meaningful light.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #28
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Honestly this is the first time I've heard of it LOL
gundamboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #29
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
This Aberdeen Square sounds like the "International Village" of Richmond.
-boring, quiet mall.

Put some firecrackers and lion dancing there for Chinese New Year celebrations. That should bring some life to the place.
except that international village has a theatre.

theatres are always good.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #30
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Isn't Aberdeen mall/square owned by the guy who owns Fairchild TV?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #31
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Isn't Aberdeen mall/square owned by the guy who owns Fairchild TV?
That's correct and he also owns a ton of the store open in Aberdeen as well. The furniture stores, voodoo doll keychain store, just to name a few. All of them don't make any money.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
That's correct and he also owns a ton of the store open in Aberdeen as well. The furniture stores, voodoo doll keychain store, just to name a few. All of them don't make any money.
I wonder what stores in Aberdeen Centre are actually in the black?

NCIX? Daiso?

Aberdeen Square is not even worth mentioning, its a ghost town. Whoever designed Aberdeen Square should not work in the architecture industry ever again.
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgill View Post
Aberdeen Square is not even worth mentioning, its a ghost town. Whoever designed Aberdeen Square should not work in the architecture industry ever again.
I wouldn't necessarily blame the architect for this one. The history behind this runs deep, and quite frankly, I think the designers did what they can, given the circumstances.

IIRC, when the main Aberdeen Center opened, the adjacent space was supposed to be used to build a high class hotel of some sort. As we all know, that did not pan out, and that space got turned into residential units (I have a feeling that those are service apartment type of thing, as that is what I seem to remember from their real estate presentation center way back when.) When you think about those usages (hotel / residential apartments), the separation from the shopping center made sense. You want it to be convenient enough so that it is a selling point, but not so close that you are living right next to the grocery market.

I am guessing that the Phase II / Aberdeen Square stuff is entirely an afterthought in the sense that it wasn't in the original Aberdeen Center and/or hotel-residential apartment plans. It probably came about after Malcolm Brodie agreed to rip up No.3 Road to build the Canada Line (shortly after he blew millions to pave the cordoned off useless center bus lane), and the Aberdeen boss(es) saw an opportunity to link the mall direct to an exit of the Canada Line. Given that it was yet another add-on to the existing Aberdeen apartments, you can't fault them too much for piecemeal integration because everything was piecemeal.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
I think the big selling point of Aberdeen Centre is how big and modern it looks. Lots of open spaces to make it look extra spacious. Aberdeen Square on the other hand, it's kind of like Crystal Mall...
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #35
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
except that international village has a theatre.

theatres are always good.
Aberdeen used to have a theatre AND a bowling alley. Good times.

All the asians are going to cram Arberdeen this Wednesday night.

Random: Arberdeen CNY celebration is the first time ever I saw a tranny.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #36
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Aberdeen used to have a theatre AND a bowling alley. Good times.

All the asians are going to cram Arberdeen this Wednesday night.

Random: Arberdeen CNY celebration is the first time ever I saw a tranny.
But they only play Chinese movies back then and wasn't doing great in terms on sales.

They should open a Theater there again (with at least 4 theater rooms), Playdium style arcade, karaoke place and you are set.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #37
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Maybe it's nostalgia but I miss the old Aberdeen, it's where I watched "Legend of Speed" in that ghetto theatre.
Ate mediocre steak at Top Gun.
Also the bowling alley, and the tiny "back room" with 1 pool table and old arcade machines.
They had "newer" arcade machines just outside the bowling alley by the L-shaped stairs, and the little corrider that sold fake Dreamcast & Playstation games. The Hello Kitty store that sold Dragonball cards (shit I pumped so many loonies into that stupid slot lol)

The new Aberdeen is so ... bland and sterile.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 PM   #38
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Maybe it's nostalgia but I miss the old Aberdeen, it's where I watched "Legend of Speed" in that ghetto theatre.
Also the bowling alley, and the tiny "back room" with 1 pool table and old arcade machines.
They had "newer" arcade machines just outside the bowling alley by the L-shaped stairs, and the little corrider that sold fake Dreamcast & Playstation games. The Hello Kitty store that sold Dragonball cards (shit I pumped so many loonies into that stupid slot lol)

Damn I remember playing virtual fighter with my dad under the stairs in grade 4. Good times.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #39
Ebisu Boss

and I have no idea what this Aberdeen Square is that you speak of haha ... but I did I see this other random corridor that had these life-size tetris pieces, weird bridge-wall thingies and some drawings on the wall ... which felt super out of place.

I only go there for Daiso now.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #40

Quote:

Funny how you mentioned the old Aberdeen Center -- the open air parking was totally leaps and bounds better than the shxta$$ parking lot we have now, even though the parking capacity was probably less than 1/3 the current amount as well.

Of course, it helps that the drivers back then weren't complete douchebags like the ones we have now. But hey, the entire parking lot doesn't come to a grinding halt just because one car needs to park.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #41
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

The layout of the square doesn't work.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #42
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
The only good thing about Aberdeen Square is that it links you to Aberdeen Center without having to go outside in the pissing rain weather of Vancouver if you take the skytrain.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:46 PM   #43
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:

All about Marvel Vs Capcom by the stairs

and playing DDR, GFDM at Lovegety for the first time...

I think the bubble waffle guy that use to work the night markets had a store at aberdeen
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:09 AM   #44
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Anyone have pics of the old Aberdeen? My memory's kind of fuzzy now, but I remember going there pretty often back when I was a kid.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:23 AM   #45
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
lets see what i remember of the old aberdeen...
at the main entrance there's a water fountain that showed the current time
once u enter the mall it splits left n right
on the right side of the mall is a small food court where i think "ah sam's dessert" was, famous for the bubble waffles, if u continue walking to the end there's a shop that sold canadian souvenirs such as smoked salmon, maple syrups, canned tunas etc. theres also a flower shop, and a smallish market there, n i thin a bakery.
on the left side of the mall, theres an auto accessories shop, a video games shop that sold fake jdm games, a lottery/ticket master booth right in the middle of the corridor, n a vhs/LD/vcd rental shop called "yut bo" or something. near the rental store was where the bowling alley was as well as the top gun "western style" restaurant on the 2nd floor. i think on the other end of the 2nd floor was the top gun chinese restaurant called gold cow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #46
I don't get it

The older aberdeen had arcade games on the left, wasn't there a bowling alley there? That was sweet, never got a chance to play cuz so young. I remember there was a shop that sold chinese girly pens, then there was a shop that sold chinese hobbies like the 4x4 cars, gundams etc. The gai dan jai was pretty good too.
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #47
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
They should open a Theater there again (with at least 4 theater rooms), Playdium style arcade, karaoke place and you are set.
All these businesses are close to extinct for good reason.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #48
Ebisu Boss

Don't forget that was where the original "Fung Sa" Chicken Wing came from. It was a tiny food court with like 6 tables, and a grocery store across the hall. There was a Chinese medicine store there too, what a horrible spot haha, nothing like eating fried chicken and smelling 200 year old ginseng Tiger Penis.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #49
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Don't forget that was where the original "Fung Sa" Chicken Wing came from. It was a tiny food court with like 6 tables, and a grocery store across the hall. There was a Chinese medicine store there too, what a horrible spot haha, nothing like eating fried chicken and smelling 200 year old ginseng Tiger Penis.
Yup the OG "fung sa" chicken wings who since moved to mall in Richmond where UFO entertainment was but sadly they sold it to another owner like a year ago. Now I have to eat shitty fung sa chicken wings from other places.

Remember smoking and playing video games at the same time? Damn that was sweet!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2015, 01:42 AM   #50
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Admiralty is like the most underrated food court out there..

anyways... since this is so nostalgic

From my memory, theres only two places standing that have been in business since the early 90s...

Happy Date, and Sun Sui Wah

Im probably missing a lot more here too haha
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote