REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:51 AM   #1
The sound of inevitability

Marijuana breathalyzer - does anyone really feel they drive better high?

CTV National News: Don?t toke and drive | CTV News

Anyone hear about this?
Advertisement

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:13 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Can't remember what I came into this thread for
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2015, 03:20 AM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
When I used to smoke weed, I would never be able to pay attention to something for more than about 30 seconds... Driving would have been SUCH a bad idea
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-16-2015, 04:27 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
driving under the influence of any narcotic is beyond stupid.

DWI, DUI, neither specifically refer to alcohol.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
As I've said before, if you think uou drive better while high, you must be a pretty shitty driver to begin with
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

High? = No Drive

Do you like to gamble?
Habboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
I can barely make it to the fridge from my couch without being distracted by 19231823 things in between.

I'd rather not drive high LOL

but to each their own.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
I've never had any issue driving high, I would feel more safe after smoking 10 blunts and 30 bong hits than let my girlfriend drive sober.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

if marijuana effects you like alcohol effects a 90lb asian girl, then yes i agree you shouldn't be driving. in fact you should be on a couch and that's about it.

if you're a 15+ year smoker who is high every single waking moment of every single day. then your tolerance is much higher.

smoking a joint for me is like having half a drink. there's a reason why i have concentrates like budder and shatter with bongs and volcanoes.

everyone taking about driving skills and all this shit. i've had the pleasure of driving f350 dualies, 454 mustangs, TT supras with 500hp high as fuck. not dinky little commuter cars. go parallel park a f350 dualie sober before you even step to me.

for the record, 17 years driving, no accidents, roadstar, last speeding ticket was 8 years ago. and i drive briskly. 60-75 throughout the city.

i don't know if i'm a better driver high, but whatever drop off there is, it's negligible.
one thing that is obvious i just don't give a fuck in a good way. cut me off? meh. idiot swerving about? meh. clueless guy at a green light? meh.
when i am stone sober, i get pissed off and want to pay back bad drivers. yall know what i mean. so in that way i am a way better driver. calm, laid back attitude is the biggest difference maker.

it's not a movie, it's not like i'm missing shifts, or sitting at green lights with no idea what's going on. i'm constantly aware of my surroundings, ie: if a car was coming up fast behind me i go to the right lane. which is already doing more then 99% of all drivers. seeing how much time is left on the crosswalk as i approach it so i know if i'm gonna hit it no prob, need to speed up, or im too late.

edit: when i pick up my sister or grandparents for dinners they love my driving. and i change nothing for them when i drive. fast, efficient, smooth no issues. my grandparents are 80. EIGHTY.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
^
It's great that marijuana seems to have a positive effect on your driving overall, but unfortunately laws are made to cater to the lowest denomination...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #11
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Thread reminded me of this video from 2 years ago:

Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
This has been in the news for a while now. I would question the method in which they measure your THC content. Doesn't it stay in your system for a long period of time which may cause false positives? What would the legal THC content limit be while operating a motor vehicle? Zero tolerance or a "limit" like alcohol?

While I agree that peeps that blaze heavy have a higher tolerance and would unlikely be negatively affected while high, the same can be said for alcohol. If you drink heavy you build up a tolerance, therefore you can handle more in your system before you feel that your judgement is impaired. Not sure that the current breathalyzer compensates for a person's increased tolerance. I'm also not sure how that relates to a persons blood/alcohol content compared to a light weight. I know peeps that can pound 6 beer and function completely normal. You could not tell that they have had any alcohol at all. But for sure they would blow over if breathalyzed.

Honestly though, it's fucking weed. I can't believe all the hype around "getting stoned people off the road". C'mon, give me a break. How about a heroin or cocaine or ecstasy or meth road side test?
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Honestly though, it's fucking weed. I can't believe all the hype around "getting stoned people off the road". C'mon, give me a break. How about a heroin or cocaine or ecstasy or meth road side test?
How about all of it? Even though I have no numbers to back it up, I'd put money down that more people drive high off weed than heroin, cocaine, ecstacy, or menth.

If people want to get high, awesome, that is a decision that are making about their body. When they drive under the influence of ANY major mild altering substance they are putting OTHER peoples lives at risk.

Rich
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
I'd like to start out by saying I don't drive stoned but the very few times I have, I drove extremely cautiously and a lot slower than usual, unintentionally. I was getting passed by minivans on the highway and I thought I was flyyyyinnng.. I looked down and I was doing 80k..
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
stop stoned drivers by getting mcdonalds to deliver pls
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx View Post
How about all of it? Even though I have no numbers to back it up, I'd put money down that more people drive high off weed than heroin, cocaine, ecstacy, or menth.

If people want to get high, awesome, that is a decision that are making about their body. When they drive under the influence of ANY major mild altering substance they are putting OTHER peoples lives at risk.

Rich
You are most likely correct. Marijuana is fairly socially acceptable when compared to other choices. How it affects you will depend on you, your body make up, tolerances, etc. I just think that tax payers money is better spent elsewhere rather than "cracking down on stoned drivers". Why not a test that shows if you popped an script before you got behind the wheel? I bet there are a shit ton of people who drive under the influence of prescription drugs, even though there is a clear warning on the bottle. Is there any evidence that shows vehicle accidents have increased for those under the influence of marijuana?

Don't get me wrong as I do agree that being high affects your judgement but I just think a road side test is a tad extreme when better things can be done with tax money.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
At least if you drive stoned it's gonna be a slow speed crash
Old 02-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Don't get me wrong as I do agree that being high affects your judgement but I just think a road side test is a tad extreme when better things can be done with tax money.
I think there are a lot of tax spending that could be better allocated, at least this one has the chance of lowering accidents and possible fatalities. You're completely right about any 'drug' that impairs your driving! I wish these tests were not limited to a weed/alcohol but to many others.

To the people that joke they only drove slowly while driving high; that really isn't a positive. I think slow drivers can be as dangerous as someone speeding in many circumstances.

Rich
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #19

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
I used to do it when I was younger, but now that I'm an adult with a fully functioning brain, I don't think any noticeably consciousness altering drugs should be allowed while driving, nor will I allow myself to do it. Again, just because some people are ok at it, doesn't mean everyone is. It fucks some people up far beyond what is safe for them to be behind the wheel of a 3500lb pile of metal. Its the same thing for booze or whatever. I could easily drive after a 6 pack, but since I'm not a cunt, I'm not going to. Just because you can drive after a few tokes, doesn't mean you should. The laws are there to protect us, and just because we don't agree with them, and sometimes they prove unnecessary, doesn't mean we are above them.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #20
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #21

My only gripe would be the unit of measurement due to how your body absorbs the drug. Since THC can stay in your system for a long time at what point does it become safe to drive? What is the tolerance? Legal limit? At least with alcohol we can all have one drink and drive but two or more and you are flirting with danger. How does that translate to da herb?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #22

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Unfortunately, like anything, there are going to be some growing pains with that until they figure out a reasonable way to do that.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #23
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
I don't recommend driving on weed. Some of you can't even walk and chew gum at the same time! I know a guy who's a chronic toker. If he's not driving high, then he's probably not driving. He's only been in one accident, and he was without weed during that time.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #24
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrRsn View Post
stop stoned drivers by getting mcdonalds to deliver pls
McDelivery sounds like a viable business catering to stoners across the GVRD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #25
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
McDonalds delivery is gross, trust me... The fries are soggy and the burgers are cold by the time it gets to you
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote