REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Marijuana breathalyzer - does anyone really feel they drive better high? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701605-marijuana-breathalyzer-does-anyone-really-feel-they-drive-better-high.html)

The7even 02-16-2015 02:51 AM

Marijuana breathalyzer - does anyone really feel they drive better high?

CTV National News: Don?t toke and drive | CTV News

Anyone hear about this?

multicartual 02-16-2015 03:13 AM

Can't remember what I came into this thread for

SkinnyPupp 02-16-2015 03:20 AM

When I used to smoke weed, I would never be able to pay attention to something for more than about 30 seconds... Driving would have been SUCH a bad idea

4444 02-16-2015 04:27 AM

driving under the influence of any narcotic is beyond stupid.

DWI, DUI, neither specifically refer to alcohol.

Hondaracer 02-16-2015 06:31 AM

As I've said before, if you think uou drive better while high, you must be a pretty shitty driver to begin with

Habboy 02-16-2015 06:39 AM

High? = No Drive

Do you like to gamble?

Qmx323 02-16-2015 07:02 AM

I can barely make it to the fridge from my couch without being distracted by 19231823 things in between.

I'd rather not drive high LOL

but to each their own.

rJZx 02-16-2015 08:28 AM

I've never had any issue driving high, I would feel more safe after smoking 10 blunts and 30 bong hits than let my girlfriend drive sober.

Hot Karl 02-16-2015 10:33 AM

if marijuana effects you like alcohol effects a 90lb asian girl, then yes i agree you shouldn't be driving. in fact you should be on a couch and that's about it.

if you're a 15+ year smoker who is high every single waking moment of every single day. then your tolerance is much higher.

smoking a joint for me is like having half a drink. there's a reason why i have concentrates like budder and shatter with bongs and volcanoes.

everyone taking about driving skills and all this shit. i've had the pleasure of driving f350 dualies, 454 mustangs, TT supras with 500hp high as fuck. not dinky little commuter cars. go parallel park a f350 dualie sober before you even step to me.

for the record, 17 years driving, no accidents, roadstar, last speeding ticket was 8 years ago. and i drive briskly. 60-75 throughout the city.

i don't know if i'm a better driver high, but whatever drop off there is, it's negligible.
one thing that is obvious i just don't give a fuck in a good way. cut me off? meh. idiot swerving about? meh. clueless guy at a green light? meh.
when i am stone sober, i get pissed off and want to pay back bad drivers. yall know what i mean. so in that way i am a way better driver. calm, laid back attitude is the biggest difference maker.

it's not a movie, it's not like i'm missing shifts, or sitting at green lights with no idea what's going on. i'm constantly aware of my surroundings, ie: if a car was coming up fast behind me i go to the right lane. which is already doing more then 99% of all drivers. seeing how much time is left on the crosswalk as i approach it so i know if i'm gonna hit it no prob, need to speed up, or im too late.

edit: when i pick up my sister or grandparents for dinners they love my driving. and i change nothing for them when i drive. fast, efficient, smooth no issues. my grandparents are 80. EIGHTY.

Gumby 02-16-2015 10:46 AM

^
It's great that marijuana seems to have a positive effect on your driving overall, but unfortunately laws are made to cater to the lowest denomination...

TOS'd 02-16-2015 10:53 AM

Thread reminded me of this video from 2 years ago:

white rocket 02-16-2015 11:09 AM

This has been in the news for a while now. I would question the method in which they measure your THC content. Doesn't it stay in your system for a long period of time which may cause false positives? What would the legal THC content limit be while operating a motor vehicle? Zero tolerance or a "limit" like alcohol?

While I agree that peeps that blaze heavy have a higher tolerance and would unlikely be negatively affected while high, the same can be said for alcohol. If you drink heavy you build up a tolerance, therefore you can handle more in your system before you feel that your judgement is impaired. Not sure that the current breathalyzer compensates for a person's increased tolerance. I'm also not sure how that relates to a persons blood/alcohol content compared to a light weight. I know peeps that can pound 6 beer and function completely normal. You could not tell that they have had any alcohol at all. But for sure they would blow over if breathalyzed.

Honestly though, it's fucking weed. I can't believe all the hype around "getting stoned people off the road". C'mon, give me a break. How about a heroin or cocaine or ecstasy or meth road side test?

Vancouver240sx 02-16-2015 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8597211)
Honestly though, it's fucking weed. I can't believe all the hype around "getting stoned people off the road". C'mon, give me a break. How about a heroin or cocaine or ecstasy or meth road side test?

How about all of it? Even though I have no numbers to back it up, I'd put money down that more people drive high off weed than heroin, cocaine, ecstacy, or menth.

If people want to get high, awesome, that is a decision that are making about their body. When they drive under the influence of ANY major mild altering substance they are putting OTHER peoples lives at risk.

Rich

Godzira 02-16-2015 12:05 PM

I'd like to start out by saying I don't drive stoned but the very few times I have, I drove extremely cautiously and a lot slower than usual, unintentionally. I was getting passed by minivans on the highway and I thought I was flyyyyinnng.. I looked down and I was doing 80k..

BrRsn 02-16-2015 12:16 PM

stop stoned drivers by getting mcdonalds to deliver pls

white rocket 02-16-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx (Post 8597230)
How about all of it? Even though I have no numbers to back it up, I'd put money down that more people drive high off weed than heroin, cocaine, ecstacy, or menth.

If people want to get high, awesome, that is a decision that are making about their body. When they drive under the influence of ANY major mild altering substance they are putting OTHER peoples lives at risk.

Rich

You are most likely correct. Marijuana is fairly socially acceptable when compared to other choices. How it affects you will depend on you, your body make up, tolerances, etc. I just think that tax payers money is better spent elsewhere rather than "cracking down on stoned drivers". Why not a test that shows if you popped an script before you got behind the wheel? I bet there are a shit ton of people who drive under the influence of prescription drugs, even though there is a clear warning on the bottle. Is there any evidence that shows vehicle accidents have increased for those under the influence of marijuana?

Don't get me wrong as I do agree that being high affects your judgement but I just think a road side test is a tad extreme when better things can be done with tax money.

GabAlmighty 02-16-2015 01:02 PM

At least if you drive stoned it's gonna be a slow speed crash

Vancouver240sx 02-16-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8597256)
Don't get me wrong as I do agree that being high affects your judgement but I just think a road side test is a tad extreme when better things can be done with tax money.

I think there are a lot of tax spending that could be better allocated, at least this one has the chance of lowering accidents and possible fatalities. You're completely right about any 'drug' that impairs your driving! I wish these tests were not limited to a weed/alcohol but to many others.

To the people that joke they only drove slowly while driving high; that really isn't a positive. I think slow drivers can be as dangerous as someone speeding in many circumstances.

Rich

westopher 02-16-2015 03:31 PM

I used to do it when I was younger, but now that I'm an adult with a fully functioning brain, I don't think any noticeably consciousness altering drugs should be allowed while driving, nor will I allow myself to do it. Again, just because some people are ok at it, doesn't mean everyone is. It fucks some people up far beyond what is safe for them to be behind the wheel of a 3500lb pile of metal. Its the same thing for booze or whatever. I could easily drive after a 6 pack, but since I'm not a cunt, I'm not going to. Just because you can drive after a few tokes, doesn't mean you should. The laws are there to protect us, and just because we don't agree with them, and sometimes they prove unnecessary, doesn't mean we are above them.

Vansterdam 02-16-2015 03:33 PM

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net..._2344279_n.jpg

white rocket 02-16-2015 03:47 PM

My only gripe would be the unit of measurement due to how your body absorbs the drug. Since THC can stay in your system for a long time at what point does it become safe to drive? What is the tolerance? Legal limit? At least with alcohol we can all have one drink and drive but two or more and you are flirting with danger. How does that translate to da herb?

westopher 02-16-2015 03:54 PM

Unfortunately, like anything, there are going to be some growing pains with that until they figure out a reasonable way to do that.

Presto 02-16-2015 04:28 PM

I don't recommend driving on weed. Some of you can't even walk and chew gum at the same time! I know a guy who's a chronic toker. If he's not driving high, then he's probably not driving. He's only been in one accident, and he was without weed during that time.

punkwax 02-16-2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrRsn (Post 8597239)
stop stoned drivers by getting mcdonalds to deliver pls

McDelivery sounds like a viable business catering to stoners across the GVRD.

SkinnyPupp 02-16-2015 05:59 PM

McDonalds delivery is gross, trust me... The fries are soggy and the burgers are cold by the time it gets to you