REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   1 million job openings in BC by 2022 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701687-1-million-job-openings-bc-2022-a.html)

Timpo 02-19-2015 12:03 PM

1 million job openings in BC by 2022

Is this real? :suspicious:
I'm sure you've seen this commercial or heard it somewhere.

With this shit economy, BC Government is saying that there will be a million job openings in BC by 2022, which is 7 years away.

Here are some news articles:
A million jobs are expected to open up in B.C. ? and here are the five most in demand
B.C. Labour Market Outlook forecasts one million job openings by 2022 | BC Newsroom

pamphlet made by BC Government:
http://www.workbc.ca/WorkBC/files/5f...75ca7448b7.pdf

320icar 02-19-2015 12:15 PM

Fucking YouTube ads for this bullshit at the gym last night before every fucking video I watched.

Seen the beginning like 15 times. Fuck that shit

pastarocket 02-19-2015 12:24 PM

Christy Crunch and her minions are trying to mislead voters about her government's work in "improving the BC economy".

Are politicians like her putting all their hopes on LNG in creating a majority of those jobs? :suspicious:

Ulic Qel-Droma 02-19-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8598788)
Fucking YouTube ads for this bullshit at the gym last night before every fucking video I watched.

Seen the beginning like 15 times. Fuck that shit

did you also know, that canada's only customer for oil is the united states, so they get to buy our oil for a discount?

also mike chang says you don't have to eat boring salads all day to get a 6 pack.

that being said.

142,857.14 jobs per year over 7 years or however it will be distributed in real life doesn't sound that appealing at all.

maybe if it were 3-5million lol.

320icar 02-19-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8598801)

also mike chang says you don't have to eat boring salads all day to get a 6 pack.

Thank god! Good bye tuna and cottage cheese, hello Krispy Kreme diet!

The_AK 02-19-2015 04:04 PM

million job openings because by 7 years everyones going to move elsewhere since its so expensive to live here... ha ha ha.... ugh

StylinRed 02-19-2015 04:04 PM

To be filled by foreign labour at below market prices! Because fuck training the locales and normal/high wages! we'll train some foreigners how to do the job and speak English poorly instead!

Timpo 02-19-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8598801)
did you also know, that canada's only customer for oil is the united states, so they get to buy our oil for a discount?

that being said.

142,857.14 jobs per year over 7 years or however it will be distributed in real life doesn't sound that appealing at all.

maybe if it were 3-5million lol.

If there's a 1 million job openings in 2022 in BC, that would be amazing. Only if that's a true story.

3-5 million? Are you crazy? :suspicious:

You do realize the population of BC is 4.61 million including infants, children, youth, adults and seniors? I would say majority of them would already have a job or not in the age range to work, so 1 million is plenty.

murd0c 02-19-2015 06:41 PM

I wouldn't be surprised since the baby boomers will be long retired by that time.

Infiniti 02-19-2015 06:50 PM

more unskilled labour positions..and they say the numbers don't lie.

vafanculo 02-20-2015 07:40 AM

Well then. I better not see any bums in the DTES by 2024

LilRed 02-20-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8598915)
To be filled by foreign labour at below market prices! Because fuck training the locales and normal/high wages! we'll train some foreigners how to do the job and speak English poorly instead!

Can an economic policy pronoted to "raise all boats" also lower those boats?

Mr.HappySilp 02-20-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8598915)

Already happening is call TFW.

Traum 02-20-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8599015)
I wouldn't be surprised since the baby boomers will be long retired by that time.

I did some quick fact checking, and it seems like BC has roughly 800k persons in the 50-65 yrs old age group. It is completely unsurprising to see the majority of these people retire / pull out from the work force within the next 7 years. Of course there are details that may or may cause the jobs to be replaced, but assuming a simplistic approach that the jobs will be replaced, Crusty can claim that the province has created 1M "new job openings" under her "leadership"! :suspicious:

Would someone please tell me how I can become a politician? I'd love to get paid for grandstanding and not doing shxt, and still claim credit for producing positive results.

Ulic Qel-Droma 02-20-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8598941)
If there's a 1 million job openings in 2022 in BC, that would be amazing. Only if that's a true story.

3-5 million? Are you crazy? :suspicious:

You do realize the population of BC is 4.61 million including infants, children, youth, adults and seniors? I would say majority of them would already have a job or not in the age range to work, so 1 million is plenty.

yes i am crazy.

but u gotta think. even if a buncha seniors retire. there's already a line of students and other people behind them waiting for their jobs. the jobs they give up, AREN'T opening any new spaces.

it's like saying 100 million people will die to free up space. but yeah 100 million people are being born as well.

1million isn't plenty.

unless it's 1 million SUDDENLY, NOW.

but if it's people retiring and people lining up for those jobs... it won't make a difference.

the population is growing in vancouver. there are little kids being born everyday. and kids graduating everyday.

they're piling into our system, along with everyone else that can't get decent jobs.

yeah 3-4million is excessive, but that would be a booming economy lol.

the ability to switch jobs every 6 month with ease, and no consequences.

that plus in 7 years there will be some jobs that are semi taken over by automation.

i'm pretty sure in 7 years, people will still be struggling to get jobs.

ideally, there should be more jobs available than there are people. always. period. or like cracks in a stream, the water will fill em up in a blink of an eye.

that being said i don't really care lol. i went over the list of jobs. whatevers. all these outskirt cities are expanding like mad. i just seriously don't think 1 million jobs over 7 years is significant enough to make an impact, if everything else continues to expand at current rate. seems almost... like expected.

asian_XL 02-20-2015 05:20 PM

I don't know if it is true or not. The new generation prefers to work in a safe or office environment, skilled trades and technical occupations will be demanding. I heard people retire from construction are far more than people enter. 1 million is crazy, if that's BC alone, for sure every major city in Canada will be worse.

ilovebacon 02-27-2015 01:04 PM

They took our jobs!

Manic! 02-27-2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8598914)
million job openings because by 7 years everyones going to move elsewhere since its so expensive to live here... ha ha ha.... ugh

It's not that expensive in most parts of B.C.

4 bed 4 bath 475K in Nanaimo.

http://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/reb1/h...7/387507_1.jpg

MelonBoy 02-27-2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8599453)
I don't know if it is true or not. The new generation prefers to work in a safe or office environment, skilled trades and technical occupations will be demanding. I heard people retire from construction are far more than people enter. 1 million is crazy, if that's BC alone, for sure every major city in Canada will be worse.

This might be true. I've only worked in construction for a little while but I do notice a lot of the trades (dry wallers, carps, general conctracts, etc) are quite old. Actually noticed most of the younger guys are usually plumbers or electricians. Not sure if this is true. Its just something i've observed at my work sites.