REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #51
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
^^ Looks perfect! Steel belts for that extra bite and traction under slippery conditions!
Advertisement
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #52
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
I have around -2 up front and around -5/-5.5 in the rear.
I know its your car, and you build it in a way that it pleases you, but what gave you the idea of putting that much negative camber on an SUV? Trying to start a new trend?
BMWRicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #53
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
It's funny cause I got my car aligned last week. At drive height my front camber is -2, my rear is at -3.2ish. Caster and Toe are within spec.

When I slam the thing my rear camber is like 10 degrees or something ridiculous, the machine failed to read it properly cause it was so tucked out.

Inspected my tires after probably 3k km and they don't even show a slight camber wear, and I don't expect to see one really. It's Toe more than anything that kills tires.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #54
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
It will also depend on the type of tire you're running. Softer rubber will obviously wear much quicker than the harder stuff. The picture above was a set of old winter tires that had worn down enough that I was simply using them as all-seasons during one summer. I can't recall what the camber was set at (wasn't too extreme as I had Dale's correct the majority of it with my camber kit, but I do recall that toe in/out was as at 0.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:56 PM   #55
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRicer View Post
I know its your car, and you build it in a way that it pleases you, but what gave you the idea of putting that much negative camber on an SUV? Trying to start a new trend?
I've never really seen my car as a true SUV, but rather a wagon-like box especially when lowered. It's just a Scion xB with more interior space and CR-V underpinnings (which is adapted from the Civic anyway). The thing can't go offroad anyway, might as well lower it for better handling and add some camber for style. Plenty of 2G xBs (which resemble more of the size and look of an Element) slammed with tons of camber, no one ever bats and eye.

I haven't had any particularly severe tire wear like meme said, although I have driven my tires for around 5,000kms and there is some very slight feathering on both rear tires appearing, so went back in for an alignment to correct the toe again. Each of my tires costs less than a full alignment so I couldn't care less.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:06 AM   #56
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
when i had -3, tire wear wasn't really noticeably bad
i believe its when you get in the -4s and above that tire wear just tanks

although toe is the main factor for eating up tires, after a certain amount of camber it also plays a huge role
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #57
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
It's a combination of camber, toe and front or rear tire on a front or rear drive car.
Even at 0 camber and 0 toe, the drive wheels will always wear more than the non-drive wheels especially if you like to hard accelerate from the lights.
Same thing for braking. Since 70-90% of the braking is done with the front tires, if you like to late brake, expect the front tires to wear faster than the rears.

On a fwd car, lots of camber with 0 toe will not cause too much camber wear on the rear tire.
Lots of camber with some toe on the front tires of a fwd car is asking to change front tires frequently.

On my S2000 with autoX spec alignment, my fronts wore pretty evenly but much faster than the rears because of the toe out.
On my ITR, the rear wheels were just along for the ride and most of the time the inside wheel was off the ground in a turn so the fronts completely wore out but the rears looked close to new for tread depth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #58
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
I have around -2 up front and around -5/-5.5 in the rear.
Quote:
better handling
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #59
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

So I got aftermarket toe bolts and getting my car re-aligned tomorrow. I don't plan on getting a camber kit for the fronts so my front camber is currently at -2.4.

Would the car drive worse or would there be no difference if the camber in the rear was less than the front (say set at -1.5) or should I get the shop to make the rear camber match the fronts?
yelnats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #60
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
^^ Depends on the car. With a lot of FF cars, you actually want more front camber than the back because they would be understeering pigs if they run matching camber front and rear.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #61
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^ my car is RWD
yelnats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #62
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Back end will be a little more inclined to get sideways